Closed Loop Cruises has been updated

LoriTX

Actually we did get pickpocketed in Rio, after taking all normal precautions and being advised repeatedly. Those folks are pretty smoothe.

In any event, I don't plan on my car being stolen either, but, wouldn't leave the title in the glove box ;)

Have a good day :)

What does that have to do with carrying a passport? You GET a passport to PROVE your citizenship... If you don't carry it with you what is it worth? The minor chances of being pick pocketed/robbed is so small compared to the chance of being left/questioned by police/etc.

Actually we did get pickpocketed in Rio, after taking all normal precautions and being advised repeatedly. Those folks are pretty smoothe.

In any event, I don't plan on my car being stolen either, but, wouldn't leave the title in the glove box ;)

Have a good day :)

You do, however, keep the registration there. Considering the passport shows what country you belong to and a registration shows what person the car belongs to, I'm pretty sure that would be a better analogy.

Just thought I'd post a report for anyone trying to decide whether to get passports or not..

My wife, 2 kids, and I just got off a 5 day Eastern Caribbean Carnival cruise Saturday.

We only used birth certificates and drivers licenses. Coming back into the United States couldn't have gone smoother. We presented our 4 birth certificates, the agent asked us for photo ID, my wife and I presented our drivers licenses, he spent a minute at the most looking it all over and then pronounced "you're all set" and allowed us to pass. It really was that easy. No bogus warnings that we could get fined or that the law is going to be changing or any nonsense like that. The word passport never even came up.

Just thought I'd post a report for anyone trying to decide whether to get passports or not..

My wife, 2 kids, and I just got off a 5 day Eastern Caribbean Carnival cruise Saturday.

We only used birth certificates and drivers licenses. Coming back into the United States couldn't have gone smoother. We presented our 4 birth certificates, the agent asked us for photo ID, my wife and I presented our drivers licenses, he spent a minute at the most looking it all over and then pronounced "you're all set" and allowed us to pass. It really was that easy. No bogus warnings that we could get fined or that the law is going to be changing or any nonsense like that. The word passport never even came up.

The US Constitution grants US citizens the undeniable right to enter the US at any time. You only need to prove your citizenship to be afforded entry. A US passport is the best form of identification to prove citizenship (and avoid needless delays), but as you've seen, it's not the ONLY way to prove citizenship.

The US Constitution grants US citizens the undeniable right to enter the US at any time. You only need to prove your citizenship to be afforded entry. A US passport is the best form of identification to prove citizenship (and avoid needless delays), but as you've seen, it's not the ONLY way to prove citizenship.

As you've stated it grants you the right as long as you can prove you are who you say you are. The present US government has decided that the only VALID way of proving your citizenship is thru the form or a Federal US issued passport. Whether you believe it is "legal" for them to do this is really immaterial at this point. A "waiver" has been extended to cruise ship's only if they start in a US port and come back to the same port within a specified time frame. This is the ONLY way a birth certificate/government issued picture ID is valid. If you ever plan on leaving the US any other way (fly/drive/heck swim) a passport will be required to re-enter the US.

Having said all that, if you showed up at the border/somehow got on a plane/drifted in on a boat/etc. without a passport/birth certificate/etc. you MAY be allowed back into the US after a lengthy interrogation, calls to relatives, voucher from a judge, sheriff, etc. from you home. It is so much easier to just get the passport and be done with.... then carry it with you while off the ship.

I actually lost my passport on my first cruise....dropped it somewhere in port.....it was our last port day and I didn't realize I didn't have it until we were packing the last night. Of course, all I had was my drivers license...luckily the customs agents just gave me a lecture of "next time we will hold you for a long time" and let me go..I was kind of hoping he would hold me on the ship for the next cruise.

I still carry my passport when I go to shore..but I am a little more paranoid about where it is at all times (my mother has still never let me live it down) because I have seen multiple people miss the ship and I figure as long as I have my passport and a credit card, I can get home.

I do take a copy to place in the safe so at least I have something if I lose the original.

I was more irritated about having to pay another $100 for a replacement passport when I had only had my new one for four months....lesson learned though!!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off of an 8 day cruise on Sunday and we did the self debarkation where we carried out luggage off of the boat. We did not get passports because this is most likely the last time we will be traveling for the next 5-10 years. We got a really rude customs agent who told us that what we did (birth certificate and military IDs/Drivers licenses) was ILLEGAL and we weren't supposed to be allowed on the ship at all. He told this to us repeatably and I pretty much just ignored him while he went through the declarations information. Basically the guy just wanted to get his incorrect point across and it took a lot for me to hold my tongue but I knew it was best. I knew he was still letting us through and just wanted to be a dick about it. Had he persuade it more I would have asked for him to prove it while going to the passport website from my phone to show him that he was wrong. It really bugged me that he didn't even know his own job and while it by no means ruined our vacation, it sure did put a damper on our fun attitude while leaving the ship.

We got a really rude customs agent who told us that what we did (birth certificate and military IDs/Drivers licenses) was ILLEGAL and we weren't supposed to be allowed on the ship at all.

I am sorry that you had such a rude person... I do have one question though - the person with a Military ID did not have a passport?

I think active duty people do not need a passport, the Military ID is their passport.

Can anyone verify this?

When I was in the military (Army) I worked at 23rd Replacement Battalion which was a transit station. We processed all incoming military personnel being stationed in Germany. No passport was required as these people were being stationed in Germany and traveling as Military Personnel.

While my husband was active military he traveled to 53 different countries. He was a dedicated crew chief for the C5 Airplane and traveled wherever his plane traveled. He had a passport. But, I also know that traveling with the military did not require a passport. It is different when traveling on your own outside of military business. That is the difference. Your military ID is your passport for traveling due to Military. But, you will also have your orders with you which you MUST keep with you. The rules are completely different for traveling as a Military Active Duty Person as opposed to traveling as someone who is Active Duty in the Military.

I hope that made sense!

I think active duty people do not need a passport, the Military ID is their passport.

Can anyone verify this?

I see LorrieB answered this already, but I asked a marine friend of mine if his military ID took the place of a passport. He said only if he was traveling for the military, which is pretty much what Lorrie posted. :)

The reason I asked was when I was in the Air Force (many years ago) I was issued an Official Military Passport which was used anytime I was not on a military base overseas. As a child I was a dependent of someone in the AF and always had a passport but again it was different from a regular passport.

Your ID can be used while on official military business...

I am sorry that you had such a rude person... I do have one question though - the person with a Military ID did not have a passport?

Your question was answered, but more specifically for our situation, my husband is active duty and does not have a passport. So far the only place he's been is Iraq and he didn't need it to go there. He had his AD ID and DL as well as BC and I had my dependent ID, DL, and BC.

We got a really rude customs agent who told us that what we did (birth certificate and military IDs/Drivers licenses) was ILLEGAL and we weren't supposed to be allowed on the ship at all.

I had the same issue with my family last week when we came off the Miracle in the Port of NY. He told us that it was illegal as of June, and that Carnival should not even have boarded us. When I brought up the fact it was a closed loop cruise, he said that it didn't matter, and adults needed passports regardless, but my children didn't and could use their birth certificates.

He also said he had a paper stating this, but of course he couldn't find it!

I had the same issue with my family last week when we came off the Miracle in the Port of NY. He told us that it was illegal as of June, and that Carnival should not even have boarded us. When I brought up the fact it was a closed loop cruise, he said that it didn't matter, and adults needed passports regardless, but my children didn't and could use their birth certificates.

He also said he had a paper stating this, but of course he couldn't find it!

I am truly sorry for the abuse... the real problem is with customs and the lack to inform ALL inspectors that closed loops are the exception...

Having said that, all the more reason to get one. The last thing I want after a cruise is to end it with some yelling or delays. As with many things with government officials the truth may not help you. You can prove it in front of a judge but how long does that take. I would hate to be put in a room waiting on a supervisor to explain that you are correct.

Archived