Just Back from Oahu and Big Island - Awesome Trip

transam84

We recently returned from our trip to Hawaii 16-29 May. We decided not to cruise but to stay on both islands. So, I can't give any cruise related advice but I have loads of info on land based activities, tours and lodging. Vavoom was a great tour in Hilo/Volcano area and we loved ATV Outfitters on northern Hawaii. Don the Beachcomber in Kona was the restaurant we enjoyed the most in 2 weeks on the islands (and we tried lots, including all the traditional tourist ones, Roys, Huggos, Dukes, etc...) Both islands were awesome and more than we had dreamed of. I have huge trip reports posted on tripadvisor under momcat1959 screen name if you are interested.

Here are the links to my pictures (sorry there are alot) if you are interested:

Oahu:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/572735516WmZbQs

Hilo and Volcano:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/572732230ORkfWJ

Waikoloa and Leeward Hawaii:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/572732230ORkfWJ

Enjoy, Laura

My husband and I are going on a cruise July 11-18, then we are staying for 2 nights and leaving on Monday morning. We really want to do the night dive with the mantarays in Kona, but we are unsure how to go about it. The cruise is only there for one day (8:00-6:00 I think), so we can't do the dive that night. We are thinking we should do it Saturday (the 18th) once we get off the ship but how would you recommend we get back to Kona? What price are we looking at? Also any suggestions of where to stay? I think the rough plan is to go back to Kona once we disembark the ship, rent a car and hotel, and do the night dive Saturday night, then Sunday go to the black sand beaches and get back to Honoloulu late Sunday night to catch our flight Monday morning. Do you have any other suggestions or tips? Thanks!! Barb

Barb, Keep in mind the Big Island is very big. Punalu'u, black sand (biggest and most accessible) is a little over an hour from Hilo on the windward side of the island. If you want to stay on the leeward side I think the Waikoloa area is nicest. We stayed at the Marriott Waikoloa and it was awesome. A-Bay is wonderful, green sea turtles come right on the beach to sun, and the pools are spectacular. That being said it is about a 30 minute drive from Kona and probably 2-3 hours from Punalu'u. We adored the big island. I have a full trip report posted on Tripadvisor in the Island of Hawaii forum, my screen name on trip advisor is momcat1959. Also, please feel free to e-mail and can send you a Word version of the report. my e-mail is ltrogrady@optonline.net We adored the Big Island. Will definietly will be going back.

Archived