Carnival lost my daughter from Camp Carnival

blondee007

Hummm, they have never happened during late seating on any of the cruises i was on, it's always shortly after we sail, right before first dinner seating.

Maybe they change the time.

If you don't go to the meeting you have to find the staff and sign your child up or they will not be allowed to enter CC.

Conquest orientation was definitely during late seating dinner. Generally speaking, the entire program was geared more towards 1st seating. With Second seating running from 8:15ish to 9:45ish not many free hours to be had as the camp was closed for a couple hours around 6, and two nights are dress up and party (either captains or repeater).

The OP, a one post wonder, sure managed to get things stirred up. You would think that after 600 posts on this thread the OP would have been back.

No return.

Troll did a good job!

Or maybe they just didn't get the response from people they were expecting, ie outrage at Carnival.

So after reading all the posts on this issue, I thought my 10 year old

would be able to figure out how to get back to the cabin, so I asked her

with the given scenario of being sent away from Camp Carnival what she'd do... she gleefully told me, thats easy Mom.. I would go to the bar and wait for you there.. or wait I'd go to the room first, get my money, go to bar and order a shirley temple with extra cherries and wait for you and Dad there....

So when in doubt, make sure the kids don't think you have a drinking problem, and for the record we hardly ever go to the bar, more roulette

and relaxation in the suite for us! We hardly ever drink...but I guess she

thinks we do! Glad your daughter was okay.... on the 4 cruises that she

has already been on, we make sure she can get to the front desk, camp carnival, and our room to make sure she knows her way around a little!

But obviously she's way more clever than I give her credit for!!

I find that to be true for many parents here and in real life.

This view is exactly why I feel kids should be taught decision making and emergency planning skills at an early age. No parent can anticipate every eventuality - things happen. I don't think you can set-up a narrow set of parameters "stay in the camp till we come back" with no back-up or contigency plan and then get mad at the world when things don't go your way. No protocol or piece of paper is going to solve the problem.

Parent's and kids get unintentially separated all the time. Folks who feel a cruise ship is too dangerous for a ten-year old to navigate on their own need to ask themselves why they are taking the kid in the first place - when there is a high likelyhood that they will be "forced" by circumstance to do just that. The odds of an incident like this happening are FAR more likely than some of the horrible "what ifs" people fixate on. Yet we fixate on the improbable and do nothing to deal with the probable.

That is SO SO true.

But little girls gets lost on cruise ship and gets upset does not make the news. However, child snatched on cruise ship would be on every 10 min until the next bad thing happened. (can't say I have ever heard of that happening before though)

But child lost on cruise ship because parents had not given instructions on what to do if separated from others happens probably fairly often I would imagine.

child lost on cruise ship because parents had not given instructions on what to do if separated from others happens probably fairly often I would imagine.

To me, the folks who choose to take their kids on a cruise and say they will never let them run about alone are like folks who ride a motor cycle and say they will never fall. You can wear you helmet, ride only in good weather, and be a careful as you can be - but odds are you're gonna fall. I guess its ok for folks who ride motor cycles with helments to say the ones who don't are unsafe - but I think they are drawing a pretty arbitrary line in the sand.

To me, the folks who choose to take their kids on a cruise and say they will never let them run about alone are like folks who ride a motor cycle and say they will never fall. You can wear you helmet, ride only in good weather, and be a careful as you can be - but odds are you're gonna fall. I guess its ok for folks who ride motor cycles with helments to say the ones who don't are unsafe - but I think they are drawing a pretty arbitrary line in the sand.

And let's be honest, this isn't a case of "letting" a kid run loose. Unless a kid is on a leash, you are correct, at some point said kid will be seperated from their parent(s). Happens all the time ... in grocery stores, at amusement parks, on cruise ships. At ten, a kid should be able to deal with that sufficiently even if they are scared. And even if a parent thinks their kid CAN'T it's all the more reason why they SHOULD have a protocol. Is it asking too much of a kid? Probably not. Kids are smarter and more capable than most people give them credit for. It wasn't too long ago that ten year old kids were working in factories, driving teams of oxen, and had real responsibilities that far exceded finding their way back to a cruise ship cabin.

And let's be honest, this isn't a case of "letting" a kid run loose. Unless a kid is on a leash, you are correct, at some point said kid will be seperated from their parent(s). Happens all the time ... in grocery stores, at amusement parks, on cruise ships. At ten, a kid should be able to deal with that sufficiently even if they are scared. And even if a parent thinks their kid CAN'T it's all the more reason why they SHOULD have a protocol. Is it asking too much of a kid? Probably not. Kids are smarter and more capable than most people give them credit for. It wasn't too long ago that ten year old kids were working in factories, driving teams of oxen, and had real responsibilities that far exceded finding their way back to a cruise ship cabin.

My point is that if the kid is scared, take the opportunity to do something different so they are not a sitting duck next time. I don't expect the parents to anticipate this exact situation nor guess how the kid would react. But now that they've run into it - fix your kid and yourself instead of Carnival.

I would have no problem with that.......as long as they are not alone.....

The kids are grouped together... so would you consider 3-4 kids ages 9-10 by themselves alone? They go over all the activities with the parents at the informational meeting. I wasn't comfortable at first with my son when he was 9 checking himself out but we worked up to it.

We were on the NCL Star when he got sea sick and was forced out of camp. They did not page me over the intercom (Which they have because I heard it used for other things) but instead took him to the office and kept him there.

The thing to remember when traveling with kids that allowed to check themselves out - about age 9 - is you need to familiarize them with the ship and your emergency plans. We now carry walkie talkies and have set places I will be incase he needs to find me if I am needed earlier than the scheduled time.

LOL! If you believe this then I have can tell you you are mistaken.

Again it all comes down to age and maturity.......

Nothing wrong with preparing you children in the event something awful can happen.......

But I have to say your last sentence makes me laugh:D

My point is that if the kid is scared, take the opportunity to do something different so they are not a sitting duck next time. I don't expect the parents to anticipate this exact situation nor guess how the kid would react. But now that they've run into it - fix your kid and yourself instead of Carnival.

To be fair nobody here knows anything about the op and her child. Maybe they did take the time to teach her the ship and prepare her and it back fired......

Most 10-year-olds can find their way around a ship better than most adults. TROLL TRYING TO MAKE TROUBLE ON A CARNIVAL THREAD.

Remnants of Nixie, MisTeri, etc. ....... One Hit Wonders!!!!!!!!!

Wow. A lot of posts. Here, let me clutter up cyber-space and add yet another.

Haven't read all the posts because I don't have all week, (lol) but it seems to me that there needs to be a mechanism for these types of events within Camp Carnival. And if they already exists, they need to be explained to all involved.

In addition, a 10 year old should have a key to the room and know how to get back to the room. There should be a protocol discussed in advance that covers events of a child being separated from the parents or other authority figures.

Wow. A lot of posts. Here, let me clutter up cyber-space and add yet another.

Haven't read all the posts because I don't have all week, (lol) but it seems to me that there needs to be a mechanism for these types of events within Camp Carnival. And if they already exists, they need to be explained to all involved.

In addition, a 10 year old should have a key to the room and know how to get back to the room. There should be a protocol discussed in advance that covers events of a child being separated from the parents or other authority figures.

Stop that crazy talk logic. The interwebs has no place for such sense! ;)

Stop that crazy talk logic. The interwebs has no place for such sense! ;)

Mindless blogging..... lost children.... oh, whatever shall we talk about today.... oh, I know.... fuel surcharge, to tip or not to tip, that is the question.....

IT'S ALL NONSENSE!!!!!!! NONSENSE I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!! Wow.... I needed that..... Now back to the mundane existence I call work!!!!!!

Mindless blogging..... lost children.... oh, whatever shall we talk about today.... oh, I know.... fuel surcharge, to tip or not to tip, that is the question.....

IT'S ALL NONSENSE!!!!!!! NONSENSE I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!! Wow.... I needed that..... Now back to the mundane existence I call work!!!!!!

How about lost children smuggling booze, smoking cigarettes and throwing messages in bottles overboard while saving lounge chairs in protest of harsh toilet paper?

It's not blogging, it's a messege board...

And mindless?? Mindless like posting about paying for a grown adult daughters cruise deposit and when she backs out losing the money? That kind of mindless? or mindless posts about her mistakes in life? :rolleyes:

The OP may or may not have been a troll but the conversation and viewpoints that followed were interesting and important to parents..

Mindless I think not.

And mindless?? Mindless like posting about paying for a grown adult daughters cruise deposit and when she backs out losing the money? That kind of mindless? or mindless posts about her mistakes in life? :rolleyes:

The OP may or may not have been a troll but the conversation and viewpoints that followed were interesting and important to parents..

Mindless I think not.

LMAO!!! You have a great memory! :D

LMAO!!! You have a great memory! :D

How about the precruise diary!

There are over 600 posts about young children on a cruise... How could it be mindless????:confused:

(i knew you would remember too ;))

The point is when she goes on her 'mindless' posts she does not like to be mocked...

Mindless I think not.

Nice :)

Heheh ... "scarcasm" .... I don't know if that was intentional Halos, but it's pretty danged funny.

Nice pick up Cat!

That was great! Have to remember that ..

Halos.. Freudian slip?? LOL

:)

LOL! If you believe this then I have can tell you you are mistaken.

Again it all comes down to age and maturity.........

Are you saying there is a certain age and maturity level where motor cycle accidents and getting accidentally separated from your kids is impossible? I think you misunderstood me (again). I am not mistaken. You can be the most careful cycle driver in the world and still have an accident. You can be the most protect parent on a cruise ship and still get unitentionally separated from your kids.

So, my question to you is: "Do you take your 9 to 11 year old kids cruising because you honestly believe you will be able to insure, with complete certainty, that you will never accidentally be separated? Or - have you decided that the life experience is worth the risk?"

To be fair nobody here knows anything about the op and her child. Maybe they did take the time to teach her the ship and prepare her and it back fired......
I never said they didn't take precautions in advance - but obviously the lesson was ineffective. Since its important to them, they should revisit the lesson.

chill girls...I think Lorrie was only adding sarcasm to Lemur's scarcasm....

girls? Kurban is a girl? :eek: I thought Kurban was a dude.........holy chit I need to go back over some mindless blogging message boards and find out!!!

:p

Archived