Carnival Valor - any suggestions?

Beerse

I will be going in a week and have heard rave reviews about Fins n Flippers in Honduras. If you book in advance it is $20pp with a free tender to their private island (40-50 guests per day). They have beach, snorkel, a pool, bar, and grill. Can't really beat it. $2 beers and all food is $10 and under.

Bob

Going on Carnival Valor in September to Belize, Roatan, Cozmel and Grand Cayman. Any suggestions on excursions? Bad or good?

My favorites in those ports are:

Belize...Cave tubing

Roatan...Zipline & beach combo excursion

Cozumel...beach & snorkel day, (they have beuatiful beaches)

Grand Cayman...Sting Ray City

Have a great cruise, those are GREAT ports!!

Going on Carnival Valor in September to Belize, Roatan, Cozmel and Grand Cayman. Any suggestions on excursions? Bad or good?

I would do the dolphin encounter at Chankanaab park in Cozumel...you can spend the day and they have lovely facilities. Check them out - they have a website.

In Roatan, my kids loved the monkeys...there are ways to do it private and through the cruiseline. We did through CCL, but now having been there and heard the rave reviews about Victor I would use him. We have also been to Tabayana beach which is one of the prettiest I have ever been to.

Our family is going on the Valor on Oct 11. These our the excursions we have planned:

Belize: "Captain Your Own River Boat" through Coral Breeze

Cozumel: Royal Dolphin Swim

Grand Cayman: Captain Marvins 1/2 Stingray/snorkel Tour

Roatan: Fins and Flippers

We have done Captain Marvins before and all thought it was great. We did cave tubing in Belize, but I thought is was really boring and would never do it again.

We are also doing the same cruise in September, we are doing:

Grand Cayman...shopping in town, the Sea Grape Beach (bringing our own snorkle stuff)

Roatan....either Flippers N Fins or a Bodden tour

Belize....Mayan Ruins (not with a Carnival tour)

Cozumel...Nachi Cocom resort

Maxamuus - can you tell me more about cave tubing? Was it in Belize or Roatan? Did you book through the cruiseline or on your own? Are the cave-tubing guys trustworthy?

GO cave tubing! We had a blast! Best excursion we did. I recommend the cave-tubing.com guys. Great people.

Maxamuus - can you tell me more about cave tubing? Was it in Belize or Roatan? Did you book through the cruiseline or on your own? Are the cave-tubing guys trustworthy?

Hi, I'm not maxamuus but i have been cave tubing a few times in Belize.

We just take the tender from he ship, when we get to the shore there will be locals standing with signs for excursions (much like all the other ports) behind them are little booths to buy excursions, these are licensed operators, get the prices and they will board you onto their vans, there will be plenty of other people going with you, we had 13 in our van and 2 guides, it's a long ride out to the river, once you get there you will be with the Carnival group, except they payed almost double!

Our guides were great! and i have to say much better than the Carnival guides, who had way to many people to keep an eye on them all.

after one of the passengers asked if we could stop at a famous lodge in the area, we did and bought Soda (a few bought beer) we still made it back to the port before the Carnival group and with plenty of time to get a little shoping done.

I have done this twice and i will do it again the same way!

The Carnival group was huge (school buses full of people and the same amount of guides as us.

Hope this helps.

I am taking this same cruise in Oct...but I have been to all of the ports on previous cruises except Roatan.

In Cozumel, we have done the Dolphin Swin at Chakkanaab Park. Well worth the money. Swimming with the dolphins is something everyone should get to experience once. My only regret is that we didn't buy the video. We have been to Coz so many times that now we usually just head over to Playa Mia and do the all inclusion package that includes buffet and drinks. They have plenty of activities there including full restuarant, pool, beach chairs, hammocks, paddle boats, kayaks, water trampoline and climbing inflatible "iceberg" all included in the admission to the beach. Other items you can pay extra for such as spa services (massages, etc.), jetskis, horsebackriding (about a 5-10 min walk down the beach). It's a beautiful beach and we always have a great time there.

In Grand Cayman we have done Stingray City (also one of those things everyone should do at least once), we have taken the guided island tour with stops at the Rum Factory, Hell and the Turtle Farm and Seven Mile Beach. There are a lot of great options in GC. The shopping is good here as well and you never really get hasseled like you do in other ports. The locals are very friendly, they just don't bug you to buy something every five feet.

In Belize, we did the Zipline/Cave-Tubing tour with Nacho and Cynthia. It's been several years so not sure if they are still operating tours or not. But they were fantastic. As another poster mentioned, it's great being in a smaller group as opposed to the larger Carnival tour groups. The zipline was so much fun. The cave-tubing was really neat as well. Be sure that you have a waterproof disposable camera with a flash or a waterproof case for your digital. We didn't and none of our pics from inside the caves turned out. The only drawback was the hour + van ride out to the rainforest. But you just have to make it fun to pass the time!

For our stop in Roatan, I am looking at Fins N Flippers Resort and Gumbalimba Park. I have heard really great things about both of these places.

We liked Roatan the BEST...got off the ship, went out the gate to the left with all the local cabs waiting to 'grab' you for a ride...I didnt want to deal with the first guy, and another came up and tried to steal us away from him and I told them BOTH to leave us alone...walked further past more cabbies and found one guy not pushy...cost us $60.00 for the whole day to drive around the island with his little tour guide. Went up the hill to the local supermarket, he told me to get cold beers there, $1.25 or so each..then we drove some more for sightseeing..VERY nice..went to the little monkey/zip line place and played with the monkey's in the cage for $3.00/person admission..then we went to Half Moon Bay for our own snorkeling...BRING your own gear if possible....was real nice there too, quiet and we got $25.00 1/2 hour massages on the beach area...then left for more sightseeing around the island..I got some of the BEST pics the whole trip there! Would go back to Roatan..even though we felt the earthquake on the ship that night! If you go to that fins/place..I don't think you see much of the island culture...we like that in trips....also the street shopping was fun..our guide told us to wait till later to barter better since they know you are leaving and will deal better then!

Just dont be afraid of the high pressure to get in the first cabs etc...you will see all the hectic hustle there just outside the gate...but then again i'm not one for group excursions and being moved around like cattle!

Zip line at Belize was great..but a whole other story on our tour bus...broke down and we almost missed the boat..but MAJOR TOM tour group came to our rescue! Book with Major TOM if not doing a boat excursion! Cave tubing was fun too...do it after zip line..nice and cool refreshing water!

We did this cruise last november. You can view all of our pics here http://thekraftfamily.smugmug.com/gallery/6811890_ExwZy#435867582_vZwC4

But as far as specific excursions we did (and loved!):

Turtle Farm, Hell, and Stingray City in Grand Cayman through Carnival

435414032_TWXEc-XL.jpg

Pirates, Birds, and Monkeys in Roatan through Carnival:

435646646_stbR4-XL.jpg

A private car to Altun Ha and the Belize Zoo in Belize through Shore tours (we had Capt. Sanchez)

435917845_dxfsL-XL.jpg

435924250_dDHwX-XL.jpg

Chankanaab in Cozumel through Shore Tours. My wife did the dolphin swim, and all of us (DD5 and DS2) did the Dolphin Encounter.

435939807_fCnzc-XL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We're still on the Liberty as I type, waiting for our zone to be called for debarkation. We had such a great time that my husband and I, who never vacation on a whim, booked a cruise on the Valor on Sept 17th (sans kids).

All of us loved Isla Roatan best, which was a re-route for this sailing. We were originally supposed to go to Cozumel but you know, Mexico was closed for H1N1. We went to Fins & Flippers. The snorkling was fabulous, although there wasn't a guide, per se. there was a kid in a kayak who stayed close by. The facility is new and clean and built to appeal to Americanos who need the comforts of home in far away places. Still, the trip there allows you catch a glimpse of the "real" Honduras (men in camouflage cradling automatic weapons, children begging politely for money or food, stalls lining the street selling cheap but beautiful jewelry, wood carvings and trinket) and the food smells wonderful. I can't wait to go back.

We are "cruisin" July 12th to the same ports. Our FIRST cruise. In Grand Cayman we are doing the Stingray Sandbar, Coral snorkeling, and Starfish Tour (Through ncq adventures tour). In Roatan we are going to do the Fins and Flippers. In Belize we are doing the Ariel Trek/Cave tubing tour through Nacho and Cynthia - they came recommended on the Ports of Call Boards. We are not sure if we are going to do an excursion in Cozmel.

Misty, Nacho and Cynthia are still booking tours. My family and I are going to Belize in July and we booked the Ariel Trek/Cave tubing tour with them. I emailed them with questions and Nacho CALLED me within 30 minutes. He answered ALL of my questions with an awesome personality! I can't wait until this tour. I know we will not be disappointed!

We Sailed on Valor in March 09 to Western Caribbean and LOVED it! We went to see the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya through the Native Choice with Ivan-it was fantastic! After seeing the ruins we asked to be dropped off at the beach at Majahual where we ate a reasonably priced and delicious lunch while the kids swam-it was beautiful and very relaxing. Took a cab back to the ship-a quick ride-you could see the Valor from the beach. Sounds like you are headed to Roatan instead of Costa Maya, but if you are re-routed to Costa Maya, I highly recommend the ruins.

In Belize we booked the Goff's Caye snorkel trip through Carnival. This was a great snorkeling trip. The water was a bit rough, but apparently this is usually not the case. They took us to a tiny island. If you are lookig for action-this is not the place as there is nothing there except a small shack that sells snacks and drinks. We loved it, as did our children.

In Cozumel we did Nachi Cocom, which was our favorite spot on the entire trip. You can read lots about Nachi elsewhere on the boards-but book early as they limit the number of visitors daily. We absolutely loved this!

Grand Cayman was our least favorite stop, mostly because they took forever to get folks onto the tendars and it was 11:30 by the time we got to shore. We took a cab to 7 mile beach and made the mistake of getting off at the second stop where we settled in at the Marriott Courtyard beach. the beach was small and dirty, the water was rough, and the food way overpriced. Heard that the first stop on the cab would drop you at a better beach. I think we were spoiled by our perfect experience at Nachi in Cozumel. Had we had more time in Grand Cayman, we would have ventured to Rum Point, or another more secluded beach.

This was a fabulous cruise on Valor, and we had an absolutely fantastic trip. happy to answer any other questions you have.

We loved Fins & Flippers was the best stop of the trip. Would love to return and spend the week in Roatan.

Make sure you have bug spray, the sand fleas are bad, We didn't have any problems . Our table mates didn't use and had lots of bites.

The snorkeling was wonderful, but stay along the route they give you or you will get cut from the coral.

The food was great and very cheap.

Don't do Carnival's Mayan Ruins trip and City tour, our bus was air conditioned but it didn't seem like it. The ruins were nice , but 1 1/2 hours both ways on the hot bus was awful.

We will be on this cruise in two weeks from today with another couple. It will be our first and their second. We are all looking forward to a great time. We still haven't decided on our excursions, there are so many to choose from and mixed reviews about each one.

I would really like to get a review about Belize Zip lining from someone that has done it more than once in various locations. Is it top notch? We did a zip line tour in Playa last summer that had 5 lines and they looked like high school kids put them together. That set up would never be allowed to operate in the US. Looking back, it wasn't the smartest thing we have ever done. It was fun, but not very safe. I am wanting to be impressed? Any chance of that on one of these zip line tours?

Archived