Max Factor to discontinue selling in US

Jane110

Hi all,

I just read in WWD that Proctor & Gamble is going to phase out selling Max Factor cosmetics in the US and will put their emphasis on Cover Girl which is more profitable for them.

This will happen in in early 2010, so you have time to stock up on your favorite products. It will still be sold globally, however.

Just thought you'd like to know....

put their emphasis on Cover Girl which is more profitable for them.

I'm not surprised at all to hear this.

Covergirl has done really well in the past few years by doing a few things...

#1 Teaming up with America's Next Top Model as a major promotion for their winners...

McKey, Jaslene, Whitney

3a346afd09c6b2759871b61a488f86b3.jpg

Naima

d4dc2347cc6e35b1d161c26c981c2224.jpg

Danielle

6c90bd0079f3d44ff87b45135509e45e.jpg

(some of my personal favorites;)).

These are on continual reruns on CW, VH1, and MTV. They've had winners that represent different things to relate to young girls...

McKey to the Tomboy/Sportsgirls, Jaslene to the Hispanics, and Whitney to the Plus Size for examples. 90% of them are positive role models (overcoming some difficulties), and they go on personal tours to stores all over the country promoting Covergirl.

Then they've chosen all different ethnicities and skin tones - the entire rainbow.

#2 They've accompanied this one/two punch with relatable celebrities like Drew Barrymore and Queen Latifah.

17de4a0169a5c4bf8ac2c8cd901383ba.jpg

#3 They've kept themselves an easy way for young women starting with makeup. This has reached a whole new generation of all colors - literally.

So, there you go. Makes perfect sense to me.:D

Oh I agree Curt!

Their campaigns in recent years are brilliant for all the reasons you point out.

They didn't put anything into marketing Max Factor and it's become a brand without an identity.

Oh I agree Curt!

Their campaigns in recent years are brilliant for all the reasons you point out.

They didn't put anything into marketing Max Factor and it's become a brand without an identity.

Squeee!

Great minds...

It's interesting, because a few years before that - Covergirl was suffering from a bit of an "old 70s" marketing feel.

But, it gave me an excuse to show my support for whoever has been managing the Covergirl campaigns over the past few years...

And show a few of my favorite "beautiful" Covergirls (in looks and personality) of all colors and sizes.:)

PS Check your email!;):p:D

Squeee!

Great minds...

It's interesting, because a few years before that - Covergirl was suffering from a bit of an "old 70s" marketing feel.

But, it gave me an excuse to show my support for whoever has been managing the Covergirl campaigns over the past few years...

And show a few of my favorite "beautiful" Covergirls (in looks and personality) of all colors and sizes.:)

PS Check your email!;):p:D

Absolutely!

Look at Target, and how they've reinvented themselves!

Yet poor Sears who's been trying so hard for the past 10 (15?) to shake their image just can't do it.

Brilliant marketing is a beautiful thing! (yeah, i'm a marketer!)

PS - Got it! Check your email now! ;)

Interesting.

Unfortunately, with all of the legal problems in the last decade with Andrew Luster, it posed a HUGE marketing challenge for the brand. His family was well known and his shenanigans cast a huge shadow over a formerly reputable family and subsequently, company.

Interesting they will still market in Europe. It is amazing to me how many celebs who are shunned in the U.S. are received in Europe- no matter what type of accusations they are facing. Hopefully this forgiving attitude will hold true for the Max Factor name.

Interesting.

Interesting they will still market in Europe. It is amazing to me how many celebs who are shunned in the U.S. are received in Europe-

That's true - look at Josephine Baker. America was too prudish to accept her.

However, Andrew Luster is no celebrity. He's just a trust fund baby who likes to drug and rape women.

#2 They've accompanied this one/two punch with relatable celebrities like Drew Barrymore and Queen Latifah.

...and don't forget, even Ellen now. I actually really liked seeing them step outside the box, looking for spokespeople who aren't always they ultra feminine beauty icons. They've got their bases covered.

Archived