Teen Traveling with us--Permission Form Needed?

We have booked a cruise on June 6, 2010 on the Dawn and my 18 year old daughter is pleading with me to allow her to bring her 17 year old boyfriend. He is a decent kid and I don't mind him coming along. Now, since this cruise goes to Bermuda, is there a form or something allowing me to take a minor out of the country?

If there is, can someone point me in the direction of where I can locate this? Is it with the U.S. government or does NCL have something for me to sign.

As always, responses will be appreciated. (unless the reply is totally stupid then all bets are off :p)

Ha ha ha I'm not a betting woman, so I'll try not to be stupid!! :p

Unfortunately, I cannot provide any links, but I think you're very wise to look into this. If a single parent travels with a minor, they often have to take documentation proving that they can take their own child out of the country (permission of the other parent, for instance), so I think it's reasonable to assume that you will need something with you if you're taking someone else's child.

Hopefully someone can help you here, or also try the family board. I know I've seen this question asked over there. :)

Found this on NCL's website...

All guests 18 years or younger must have a least one guest 21 years or older traveling with them in the same stateroom. A minor not traveling with a parent or guardian must produce a notarized parental or guardian consent letter authorizing medical treatment in case of an emergency. This letter must be presented to an NCL representative at the pier. Failure to produce the letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied. There are no refunds in the event of denied boarding.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=GuestsSpecialNeeds

Also this...

What are NCL's Age Requirements?

Company policy dictates that a passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years or older who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 passenger throughout the cruise. This includes, but is not limited to, preventing under-age purchase or consumption of alcohol**, preventing under-age gaming activities and preventing violations of any ship's rules. Passengers must be age 21 to purchase or consume alcohol and age 18 to gamble on the ship. If the accompanying adult is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a Parent/Guardian Consent & Release Form (pdf) that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided.

Kids under two cruise at a substantially reduced fare and certain itineraries offer specials on 3rd and 4th guests in the same stateroom. Infants under six months of age are not eligible for travel on NCL ships.

Note: Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom without someone over the age of 21 in the same stateroom if they purchased the cruise under the family plan and have at least one person who is 21 years or older in the adjoining stateroom. The age limit will be waived for married couples less than 21 years of age provided proof of marriage is presented to an NCL representative at the pier.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ#agereq

Oh Oh Oh, I can answer this one! I am usually the one looking for the answers...

There is a form you need to print up off of NCL's website for the parents of the young lad to fill out. We had to do this when a friend of my son's came on a cruise with us a couple years ago AND I just talked with NCL about this because our next cruise (in 75 days) our daughter is bringing along a 17 year old friend.

Search on NCL's website for 'minor traveling without parents'. I just did it and the website provided the form in a pdf file to print up.

good luck!

If I may throw in one other suggestion...If it were me, I would make sure I had at LEAST two of the forms notarized. That way I would have the one NCL keeps when you check in at the terminal, and then I would carry one in port with me. I do not know how "legal" the form in port would be or if they would ever ask for it to perform any necessary medical services, but I would have it just in case. If nothing else, at least IMHO, it would show your intent to be able to provide any necessary medical care the minor might require.

I've done this 3 times (4 in July). You download the forms, fill them out, have parents sign and notarize then fax a copy to NCL. Bring the original with you. We have always kept the original with us in the safe. They never took it when we checked in. Once in NYC they never asked for it:confused:

Also, make sure they have two forms of legal ID.

I took my DD and her friend in January on the CTN. I had the notarized form, but the only ID she had was her birth certificate, and her school ID. They were giving us a VERY hard time because she did not have her passport. I would like to add that this was the SECURITY--and not the NCL check in staff that were demanding this. It almost came down to her not being admitted.

Even in the airport, under 18 does not need photo ID (which she had in the form of her school ID). when travelling with an adult. So I was really caught off guard, since I felt we were prepared with the form and the other ID!!!!! And this was a cruise to NOWHERE!!! The only place we were going to get off the ship was back in NYC!!!!!

From NCL:

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska (SEATTLE), Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For closed-loop sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you need a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver's license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad.

Anyway, if he has a driver's license and birth certificate, you should be fine, but if not, I would suggest the passport. Better off safe than sorry--or even hassled. That's no way to start your vacation!

Interestingly I was never asked for any documentation when I boarded in New Orleans last year with my son's friend who was 15. I agree with everyone, have the paperwork, and get it notarized. Better safe than sorry.

I also asked both parents (they are divorced) for a notarized letter allowing me to make medical decisions for him. Thank God I didn't need it, but I wanted to be ready for anything.

Thanks everyone! Great information. I will definitely carry two copies of the notarized form with us on our vacation.

I still here conflicting stories if passports are required are not so not sure what to do there. I guess I will let the debate rage until enough people have returned from Bermuda to see if a passport is necessary.

The one thing that surprises me is I can't find anything about US Customs allowing a minor into the country without his/her guardians present. I have a hard time believing they would except a cruise line form as the official document.

Thanks everyone

Archived