Valor in May?/Western Caribbean

MoKin

I am a first time cruiser going on my honeymoon on the Valor (5/29/05). I have been reading all of the boards and was wondering if anyone had any GREAT tips for the Western Caribbean?

I also am thinking about upgrading to a balcony room...but the only ones available are on the 8 level?? :confused:

Also, is it better to do the shore excursions with Carnival or do my own booking, since we are 'first timers'?

Sorry so many questions!! :D

Wow...congratulations first off! I too will be on the May 29, 2005 Valor cruise on MY honeymoon!! This is my fourth and my new hubbys first ever cruise so he is quite excited.

I would suggest going to the Carnival site and finding out what exactly you might be interested in (snorkeling...4 wheelin..etc) then researching it on these boards. I have found some great info on here over the last 4 years.

I booked most of my last cruises excursions via online before I left and it was easy and much cheaper. I have already made my res for our dolphin swim (something he always wanted to do!) in Cozumel for next May!

best of luck to you,

Esmerelda :)

Research the port of call boards for your stops - this will help immensely! We will be on the Valor in June and will book all excursions on our own, saving lots of money compared to booking through Carnival. The best part of the port of call boards is that you can see many of the different opportunities at each stop and hear from others that have done these excursions - both the good and the bad, helping you make your own decision. Many times the advantage to booking independently is that you end up with much more personalized service than going with a big group.

This will be our 4th cruise, not just through Carnival, and from reading these boards I've always felt confident going into each port that I had made arrangements that would work out well and make everyone in my family happy - haven't been disappointed yet.

Enjoy your trip - part of the fun is the planning!

My husband and I also took our 1st cruise for our honeymoon to the western caribbean (19 years ago this May!). We did all of our excursions on our own and had no problems at all. Our favorite stop of all was in Cozumel, where we rented a jeep and toured the island on our own. It's easy to get around on Cozumel and the other side of the island from where the cruise ship docks is a beautiful, deserted coastline with a couple of "beach clubs" for stopping and getting drinks, food. Have a great trip!

Welcome MoKin!

We will also be on the Valor with you May 29. Join us on the roll call board - we keep getting buried pretty deep but there is a thread started there.

We plan to have all of our excursions booked before we go too. I have found the roll call board for ports very helpful.

I took the exact same itinerary on the Paradise last year before they moved it to the west coast and DH and I loved it.

In Belize we did cave tubing through http://www.belizecruiseexcursions.com

In Roatan we went to WONDERFUL spa and had massages. http://www.santewellnesscenter.com

In GC we went to 7 mile beach.

In Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach and had an incredible time and then went to Carlos and Charlies.

Check out the Port of Call boards and have a great time!

Oh, and also, DH and I were first timers and did all of our own excursion booking. As long as you read reviews and do research, there is no reason to pay tons more for Carnival excursions unless they are the last day in Miami because they hold your luggage.

Archived