Snorkeling in Belize & Roatan

I am trying to find the best snorkeling. We would love to go with a tour, one that is all snorkeling, or combined with other things. Any suggestions?

If you're looking for great snorkeling, these are the right ports, especially Roatan.

Usually I like to book with independent operators to avoid the cattle boats. However, I booked both these ports thru the cruise ship.

Roatan because of the shortage of operators and Belize because it's a tender prot and the snorkel boat picked up at the ship.

Roatan was with Anthony's Key Resort. They are a first class operation. Small boat, not crowded at all.

Outstanding guides who locate the best reefs for the conditions. Couldn't have asked for better.

The Belize boat was typically crowded, but the snorkeling and convenience made up for that. Very nice reef with lots of sea life.

There is great snorkeling from the shore at Roatan. Two great spots are Half Moon Bay and Fins & Flippers.

Half Moon Bay is about a 10-15 taxi ride from the dock (traffic is terrible near dock). For a guided tour, I highly recommend Victor Bodden.

Fins & Flippers is a short ferry ride from the dock area. No need for tour. There is a fee to go to and stay on this small island, but great snorkeling

We are thinking about doing the Fins & Flippers. On their website it says you can make reservations. Should we do that or just go on our own? Is there a chance of it getting booked up?

Also, how is the snorkeling there?

We are thinking about doing the Fins & Flippers. On their website it says you can make reservations. Should we do that or just go on our own? Is there a chance of it getting booked up?

Also, how is the snorkeling there?

I was there only once, and we didn't make a reservation. If I remember right, there was a person with a sign as you exit the dock. They took us to the boat/ferry that took us to the island. Not crowded at all, and the best snorkeling I've seen. Not a lot of fish, but the coral was amazing. They also had a dock for easy entry into water.

DW and I went to Fins 'n Flippers in Feb. It was my favorite snorkeling of our cruise. Also went snorkeling when at Nochi Cocum in Cozumel and Belize went snorkeling at Caye Caulker through Coral Breeze Tours.

Had a good time snorkeling at the other two but Fins was my favorite because it was not a tour. They had a guide to lead out out from the dock because it is shallow and there is sort of a "path" to follow. But once you are out there the was awesome.

Because it is not a tour you can stay out as long as you wish and come back in when you want and go back out again! :D That's what I did, about 45 minutes each time. Water was a bit chilly but not too bad.

Coral was amazing as was mentioned above. It's close to the ship and only a few minutes boat ride (no extra charge) to the island. It's right under the flight path to the nearby airport which some don't like but I think was neat seeing the planes overhead as they are landing (maybe 3-4 during our stay, not non stop or anything). Did see more fish in Belize so not the most fish, but you certainly do see fish. When you are out at the wall it is neat to just stare out into the vast nothingness of the ocean too!!

They have a pool which was nice after snorkeling to get the salt water off. Food and drinks are available. It is a nice, clean facility. Has a beach area but it is not a large beach. So I would not recommend people go there for a great beach spot, but for snorkeling it is very good.

Bring bug spray, Roatan is known for having sand fleas!

We did Subway Sports in Roatan. They pick you up at the dock. Stopped wherever we wanted there and back.They have some kind of affiliation with National Geographic. We had a private trip, although we didn't book as such. Most beautiful coral I have ever seen and we went to a 80 ' drop off wall of coral. In Belize, we did the Coral Gardens and Stingray City with Hammerhead Sports/Coral Breeze. Very touristy and lots of fun.

If you're looking for great snorkeling, these are the right ports, especially Roatan.

Usually I like to book with independent operators to avoid the cattle boats. However, I booked both these ports thru the cruise ship.

Roatan because of the shortage of operators and Belize because it's a tender prot and the snorkel boat picked up at the ship.

Roatan was with Anthony's Key Resort. They are a first class operation. Small boat, not crowded at all.

Outstanding guides who locate the best reefs for the conditions. Couldn't have asked for better.

The Belize boat was typically crowded, but the snorkeling and convenience made up for that. Very nice reef with lots of sea life.

I am new here but this is somewhere I'd love to return to. What cruise line did you take?

Thanks

I am new here but this is somewhere I'd love to return to. What cruise line did you take?

Thanks

Princess.

Most cruise lines have voyages that visit Belize and/or Roatan. Check various cruise lines for Western Caribbean itineraries.

You'll find them sailing out of Fort Lauderdale. RCI visits Roatan from Galveston home port.

Loved Roatan...best snorkeling ever. Beautiful.

Hated Belize...strong current, larger crowd and a "guided snorkel" so you had to stay with the guide and large group. Saw a lot of other flippers in my face.

Archived