Black Pearl Skate & Surf Park

Jrsygrl

It is considered one of the best skate parks in the world. Gear is available for rental and safety gear is mandatory.

The Black Pearl Skate Park is located in the rear of the Grand Harbour shopping center, about a 15 minute drive (allowing for a bit of traffic) east of the George Town docks.

My 9 year old grandson loved it. We were lucky enough to spend a week on the island so he was able to go 3 times when we were there. If they offer an excursion it might be worth it just because the park is off of the beaten path so getting a cab back may not be all that easy. We took a lot of pictures of the park so I will try to attach a link to them. I hope it works!

Enjoy!

2840523170015086222rBMUte_th.jpg

Thank you so much for the pictures! My boys are going to LOVE them! It doesn't look crowded either which I like!

RCCL is offering an excursion but it's $80 a person!!! I'm not the one going skateboarding!!!!!! I'll be the one taking pictures:) I was wondering of the admission is lower if we do it on our own and maybe work a deal with a taxi to come back in a few hours.

Thanks for the link! I need to contact RCCL and see if the skateboard rentals are included. It reads as if it's only for the surf portion of the park. Honestly...I don't want to pay $82 just to watch!!!!

The surf park wasn't operating when we were there. I can see why you wouldn't want to pay to watch. My grandson took all of his equipment so we didn't have to pay for rentals. $80 does seem like a lot. It sounds like it would be worth your while to try to set up a taxi or you could rent a car.

FYI - we were there in July and it was VERY hot at the park.

According to their website, a one day pass (CI$16) with rental of board (CI$15), pads (CI$4), and helmet (CI$5) would total CI$40 (US$50). You would need to arrange transportation.

There is a good restaurant (Brick House) right by Black Pearl which has some outdoor seating or indoor air conditioned comfort. Hobbies and Books is also right there for some browsing.

Our 21 year old son is working there for the summer and just LOVES it!!!

"WOW, this place is sweet Mom, I would almost work here for free" :cool:

The website looks great and I would love to try out the surf park :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Black Pearl Skate park is 4.7 miles from the George Town harbour. Allow 15 minutes, depending upon traffic, to make the trip.

You can take a taxi from the waterfront or walk the two blocks to the bus depot and take the public omnibus.

My husband and I went to Black Pearl in 2007. He took a cab from port while I went on Captain Marvin's stingray tour. The cab cost $25 one way.

After the tour, I took the public bus to Grand Harbor by myself. The bus station is very close to port, right behind the public library. There are a bunch of white mini-buses all lined up. Just ask the staff which one to take but I recall it was Bus #7 (It's the same bus that goes to Hell and Turtle Sanctuary). The cost was $2/person. On the way back to the ship, we had to cross the highway and flag the bus down as it passed by. It wasn't difficult to do. The bus ride took about 20 minutes...get off when you see Hurley's Supermarket (it's got a royal purple sign).

My husband brought his own skateboard, pads, and helmet so he didn't have to rent...he just paid the entry fee. There was NO ONE else there the entire time so he had the park to himself...I think it was a Tuesday.

If you're not skateboarding, there's a bit of shopping in the Grand Harbor area, a few restaurants, and an Internet cafe. I just wandered the aisles of the Hurley's Supermarket, grabbed some drinks and lunch from their hot meal counter.

Your sons will have a blast...I don't think you need to do the tour through the ship. Even if you take a cab to the park there and back, it's still cheaper than paying $80/person for the excursion. And it's totally doable on your own using public transit.

Just ask the staff which one to take but I recall it was Bus #7 (It's the same bus that goes to Hell and Turtle Sanctuary). The cost was $2/person. On the way back to the ship, we had to cross the highway and flag the bus down as it passed by. It wasn't difficult to do. The bus ride took about 20 minutes...get off when you see Hurley's Supermarket (it's got a royal purple sign).

Best to ask the staff. It's not the bus that goes to the Hell and the Turtle Farm!!!

WB = West Bay (#1 or #2) goes to the Turtle Farm and Hell but does not go to Grand Harbour.

Any bus to the eastern districts will pass Grand Harbour. Those include:

BT = Bodden Town (#3)

EE = East End (#4)

NS = North Side (#8)

EE/NS = East End & North Side combined route (#5 or #9)

Just tell the driver you want to go to Hurley's or Grand Harbour and they will stop for you.

You can flag down a return bus anywhere along the roadside. You do not need to walk to a bus stop. To go back to George Town you will need to cross the road to catch the bus going back to town.

It is normal to pay the driver when you exit the bus. There are different fares for passengers on the same bus depending upon how far each traveled. The one way fare should be CI$2 (US$2.50) per person from the George Town depot to Grand Harbour.

Thank you so much for the pictures! My boys are going to LOVE them! It doesn't look crowded either which I like!

RCCL is offering an excursion but it's $80 a person!!! I'm not the one going skateboarding!!!!!! I'll be the one taking pictures:) I was wondering of the admission is lower if we do it on our own and maybe work a deal with a taxi to come back in a few hours.

If they meet a Keegan working at the park (he is soo loving it there) please ask your sons to tell Keegs that his mom asks that he put sunscreen on. :D

What dates are you going??

Best to ask the staff. It's not the bus that goes to the Hell and the Turtle Farm!!!

WB = West Bay (#1 or #2) goes to the Turtle Farm and Hell but does not go to Grand Harbour.

Any bus to the eastern districts will pass Grand Harbour. Those include:

BT = Bodden Town (#3)

EE = East End (#4)

NS = North Side (#8)

EE/NS = East End & North Side combined route (#5 or #9)

Just tell the driver you want to go to Hurley's or Grand Harbour and they will stop for you.

You can flag down a return bus anywhere along the roadside. You do not need to walk to a bus stop. To go back to George Town you will need to cross the road to catch the bus going back to town.

It is normal to pay the driver when you exit the bus. There are different fares for passengers on the same bus depending upon how far each traveled. The one way fare should be CI$2 (US$2.50) per person from the George Town depot to Grand Harbour.

My memory is hazy at best! Didn't mean to lead you astray! But yes, definitely check with the bus drivers as to which bus to take if you do go it on your own.

Thanks to everyone for all of the information! We just back and my boys had a BLAST!!!!! We got there about 20 minutes before the park opened (didn't think of the time difference!). My boys packed their boards and helmets and they didn't need pads. The cost for them to skate was only $10 per person and the cab (a 15 minute drive) over was $5 per person. Can't beat that! To top everything off there were 2 other local boys there skating so they pretty much had the run of the park. The icing on the cake though....professional skateboarder Bucky Lasek was there hanging out before the skate camp began!!! My boys were in HEAVEN!!!! He was soooooo nice. He signed their decks for them and took pictures with them :) They told me it was the best day ever!!!! Well worth the trip over!!!

Archived