North Shore or Waikiki post cruise

emste

Ok, we were going to rent a condo on Waikiki for our post cruise stay in August, but after some reading here we are thinking the North Shore. I know it is all a matter of opinion but I was wondering which is better and why. Thanks!

Have you been to Hawaii before? How much time do you have? If you like the "feel" of an outer island, the North Shore will give you more of that. If you like the hustle bustle of Waikiki with more choices for night life and eateries, then Waikiki might be the best. You can always rent a car and drive to either place from the other depending on how long you are staying.

Perhaps you could split the time...spend a few days pre or post cruise at Waikiki..and a few days relaxing on the north shore. Both have a lot to offer, but are very different experiences. We are "north shore" people, and don't mind having limited dining and nightlife options, but it is not for everyone.

I prefer Waikiki because there is so much to do. Everything stays open late, and it is fun to walk the streets and see all of the entertainers. I like to visit North Shore, but stay in Waikiki. Also, the water is calmer in Waikiki.

If you want upscale restaurants and night life then Waikiki. If you want scenic beauty and gorgeus beaches then the North Shore. If you have time to split you may consider that. Or if you want the action, consider staying in Waikiki and spending a day at the North Shore. We just came back from a 2 trip to Hawaii. We spent the week on the West Shore and were glad we did. I loved Waikiki, don't get me wrong, but I was not prepared for how congested it was. It felt like the hotels were falling into the ocean. The beach is very narrow and in some places non-existent. I was surprised there is no beach directly in front of the Halekulani, you have to walk to the side. That being said, I'm glad it was only about a 35 min drive from KoOlina, because Waikiki does have the best restaurants and I loved eating at all the touristy places like Dukes. Here are my pictures if you are interested there are lots of the North Shore and Waikiki.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/572735516WmZbQs

Thanks for all the replies. We are staying in Waikiki 1 night pre cruise then heading up to the North Shore for 5 nights post cruise then spending our last day and night back at Waikiki. Since we will be on vacation I guess it doesn't matter where we stay!:D

Thanks for all the replies. We are staying in Waikiki 1 night pre cruise then heading up to the North Shore for 5 nights post cruise then spending our last day and night back at Waikiki. Since we will be on vacation I guess it doesn't matter where we stay!:D

How 'bout somewhere in between? My husband and I love Kailua, which is on the windward side of the island. Kailua to Waikiki is about 25-30 minutes; to the North Shore, about 40. We don't care much for Waikiki; too crowded and touristy, and not really "Hawaiian" enough for us! :D There are no hotels in Kailua, but plenty of vacation rentals, many of them right near Kailua Beach (rated as one of the top beaches in Hawaii). I tell you...Kailua is heavenly, which is why we go there every year!

447630273_ScceG-M.jpg

447631440_sxWBH-M.jpg

Archived