Questions for the experts (TA's included)

I think I know some of the answers but always best to run them past the Mensa folks that populate these boards.

Scenario 1 - by the end of the year, I will have 50000 points available for redemption. There is the always infamous "subject to availability" clause around redemption choices. Does anyone know (or has done) if you can combine the free 3-4 night cruise option with the current Universal land/sea package? If so, how does one find out the cost of just the land portion?

Scenario 2 (with some relation to the above question) - Is it better to go ahead and book (pay deposit/possibly entire fare subject to timing) and then redeem points or get redemption certificate first to make sure what you want is available? Additionally, I would assume they would either offer or you could ask for an upgrade only having to pay the difference between what the certificate gets you and the category of your choice. Would there be a limit on this upgrade? For example, on the Monarch, certificate gets you into category I (I believe) - any problem moving to F-1 or SO?

Scenario 3 - if I wait an additional year, I can get to 75000 points. Thinking about an Alaskan cruisetour (for example). Good idea to just book a guarantee E-3 and get bumped to the Junior Suite? Better to go ahead and book the JS (to get where you want) and hope credit back is correct? Also, I've heard you do not get your land itineraries until you start the land portion of your trip. Anyway to get ahead of time? It makes a difference if you're getting to a destination at 10:00 am vs 3:00 pm as to what you could do. Seems without this info available until the last minute, they are basically denying you the opportunity to do planning of your own.

Last question - does RCCL have personal cruise consultants where one can talk to the same individual all the time and if so, could someone recommend a good one they are familiar with. I could return the favor with mine at NCL if anyone is ever interested on a possible NCL cruise.

Thanks in advance.

I think I know some of the answers but always best to run them past the Mensa folks that populate these boards.

Scenario 1 - Scenario 1 - by the end of the year, I will have 50000 points available for redemption. There is the always infamous "subject to availability" clause around redemption choices. Does anyone know (or has done) if you can combine the free 3-4 night cruise option with the current Universal land/sea package? If so, how does one find out the cost of just the land portion?

One option at the 50,000 point level is a $500 credit, so you can theoretically apply that to any cruise.

Scenario 2 (with some relation to the above question) - Is it better to go ahead and book (pay deposit/possibly entire fare subject to timing) and then redeem points or get redemption certificate first to make sure what you want is available? Additionally, I would assume they would either offer or you could ask for an upgrade only having to pay the difference between what the certificate gets you and the category of your choice. Would there be a limit on this upgrade? For example, on the Monarch, certificate gets you into category I (I believe) - any problem moving to F-1 or SO?

I would book now and be assured that what I want is available. You can book or upgrade to any cabin and use the $$ credit redemption option. The Upgrade redemption options are pretty specifically described, so I don't know if you can upgrade beyond what is stated and pay the difference. I would think that to do so would require that you redeem for $$.

Scenario 3 - if I wait an additional year, I can get to 75000 points. Thinking about an Alaskan cruisetour (for example). Good idea to just book a guarantee E-3 and get bumped to the Junior Suite? Better to go ahead and book the JS (to get where you want) and hope credit back is correct? Also, I've heard you do not get your land itineraries until you start the land portion of your trip. Anyway to get ahead of time? It makes a difference if you're getting to a destination at 10:00 am vs 3:00 pm as to what you could do. Seems without this info available until the last minute, they are basically denying you the opportunity to do planning of your own.

There is no "guarantee" that you will get upgraded to anything higher than the guarantee you purchase. If you want a JS, you should book a JS and redeem the points. However, you should make sure when you book that you will be able to redeem the points later for the "upgrade" credit, or if they will only let you use the $$ credit.

I'm not familiar with the land itineraries or how they work.

Last question - does RCCL have personal cruise consultants where one can talk to the same individual all the time and if so, could someone recommend a good one they are familiar with. I could return the favor with mine at NCL if anyone is ever interested on a possible NCL cruise.

I don't believe so, but I have a TA (going on 10 years now) who is very knowledgeable about cruising and has proven that she knows how to work with RCCL when something needs to be straightened out. Personally, I'd suggest looking for someone like that.

Thanks in advance.

I know this doesn't answer all of your questions, but I hope it helps.

Archived