Affordable rain jackets and water shoes in Ketchikan?

Look2Sea

Did you see any affordable rain jackets and water shoes in Ketchikan?

Ketchikan will be first port, and wondering about chances of purchasing

affordable jacket and (maybe) shoes.

What stores? How much?

I don't know about shoes, but every port sells jackets that are embroidered with "Alaska" for about $25. They're warm enough for glacier viewing, but may be too warm if was around 60 degrees. Most of the clothing is really, really reasonable. I've learned from experience to pack less, because I cannot pass up the good clothing deals. You will have no trouble finding shops that sell jackets - they're everywhere you turn around!

i spray my tennis shoes with the waterproofing spray you can buy at walmart or shoe stores. in 3 cruises too ketchikan all in may or sept, i have only used a lightweight nylon windbreaker. so far i have only been rained on once and that was a light mist. either take something that is lightweight and easy to pack , or like suggested pick something up at one of the shops. they have great looking ones and really are not that expensive. have a good time.

In Ketchikan we saw rain jackets for $20. They were rubberized outside and fleece inside. I'd get stuffy in them (they didn't have pit zips for ventaliation - love the pit zips!), but if you are just wandering around town, they'd be fine. Can't give you a store name, they were all over the place on the road right under the "Ketchikan" sign (i.e. right off the pier).

Ahoy Cruisers...

Here's a link for Destination Alaska coupon book that offers assorted jackets in each port you visit.

http://destinationalaska.com/contact.shtml

Be sure to look for this free booklet while in Alaska. There's a picture of the 2009 cover at the link provided.

Dockside Trading company at 76 Front Street offers fleece line jackets for $19.99 or fleece vests for $9.99

As the other posters have mentioned, there are several stores that offer jackets. Other items offered are duffle bags on wheels for those purchases, Alaskan Totems, Alaskan made ULU with chopping bowl, moose stuffed animals, polar fleece blankets ($6.99), silver whale tale charm, and jade. The list goes on and on.

The coupon booklet also has the popular DelSol coupons for a free Alaskan baseball hat with purchase of one tee shirt, etc.

Hope this helps you in finding a jacket once you arrived in Ketchikan.

Bon Voyage posters..

Did you see any affordable rain jackets and water shoes in Ketchikan?

Ketchikan will be first port, and wondering about chances of purchasing

affordable jacket and (maybe) shoes.

What stores? How much?

Yes, definitely. Last year in mid-June we found some great deals on nice rain jackets on Creek Street. I believe under $20 and they're very nice. I don't know about shoes. Ketchikan is the place to buy souvenirs. It was our last stop and we thought everything was quite a bit cheaper there.

Archived