Best Rental Car Company

gargoyle999

DO NOT use Thrifty in Kauai!! We used Thrifty both before and after the cruise in Honolulu with no problems. Same story in Maui, no problems. We used Avis in Hilo because we had heard Thrifty was not so hot there. We stuck with Thrifty in Kauai and it was a MAJOR mistake! The office was absolutely packed and they had 2 people working. They totally ignored anyone in the Blue Chip Line. When we asked for help there, they were like "oh, we didn't see you". Right, the office is about as big as a bathroom! None of the paperwork was done ahead of time for Blue Chip. Then, after all that hassle, they tell you to wait outside and they will "bring the car right up". 1/2 hour later, no car. It took us an hour and a half just to get the car. The worst part was as we were on the other side of the island at Waimea Canyon, the car overheated because it had very little coolant in it. It took them 2 1/2 hours to bring us a new car. Avoid Thrifty in Kauai, don't repeat our incredibly bad experience!!

This is what has me considering not going with the lowest price for our Hawaiian ports. If Alamo is the lowest by $30-$40 in Hilo then a lot of people will book with them. Since Hilo seems to be the worst port for several people who have posted here might be best to avoid the lowest rate.

I really do not want to stand in line for an hour+ just to get my car when we will only have about 7 hours on shore to begin with.

Decisions...decisions....

The concern with deciding not to book with whoever has the lowest rates is that who is lowest fluctuates all the time. When a rental company decides it needs to move cars or have promotions going, that company might be lowest. Then 3 weeks later, a different company might decide to have a price reduction for the same dates. Then a month after that, yet another company might drop rates. There's simply no way to guarantee that booking with a company that has higher rates on the day you are making your reservation won't be the one with the lowest rates overall (and thus, have longer lines on the day you are renting).

beachchick

DO NOT use Thrifty in Kauai!! We used Thrifty both before and after the cruise in Honolulu with no problems. Same story in Maui, no problems. We used Avis in Hilo because we had heard Thrifty was not so hot there. We stuck with Thrifty in Kauai and it was a MAJOR mistake! The office was absolutely packed and they had 2 people working. They totally ignored anyone in the Blue Chip Line. When we asked for help there, they were like "oh, we didn't see you". Right, the office is about as big as a bathroom! None of the paperwork was done ahead of time for Blue Chip. Then, after all that hassle, they tell you to wait outside and they will "bring the car right up". 1/2 hour later, no car. It took us an hour and a half just to get the car. The worst part was as we were on the other side of the island at Waimea Canyon, the car overheated because it had very little coolant in it. It took them 2 1/2 hours to bring us a new car. Avoid Thrifty in Kauai, don't repeat our incredibly bad experience!!
We heard similar stories before our cruise so opted for Hertz gold club for this port...it was nice to be able to board the nearly-empty hertz bus at the port (there was a long line for thrifty, and the first bus had already departed--full) and then go directly to my car, bypassing the desk entirely. I was back at the ship picking up DW and the kids within 10 minutes.:)

I am thinking of taking a cab at each port to get to the airport faster (hopefully) vs the shuttle. Wonder if that would put me ahead of the pack enough to make taking a chance with Thrifty or Dollar (also seems to have equally low rate as Thrifty) worth it?

I've rented from Dollar in Maui and was not happy. They forced me into a big car - and that was after arguing with them that I would NOT take the huge SUV (Suburban sized!) that they wanted me to take for our 3-week stay. Mind you, we'd reserved several months in advance and confirmed before we left home. It was miserable driving the big Buick we ended up with - I can't imagine how it would be with an SUV. (And no, there wasn't a ship in port the day we arrived either!)

I've always had good luck with Alamo and Hertz in Hawaii. Those are the only 2 that I will rent from going forward.

The concern with deciding not to book with whoever has the lowest rates is that who is lowest fluctuates all the time.

I agree the rates could change. So far though they have only gone up a few dollars a couple times from when I made my reservations.

Hertz is most expensive in every port for the vehicle I want even with my AAA discount so I plan to use them with my Hertz Gold to try and avoid the masses as much as possible.

The only port I may change is Hilo where the difference is $40 between Hertz and Alamo/Dollar. The others are closer.

There always seems to be a better deal once you commit doesn't there!

I actually went through the link to see what would happen. It now shows me that the $60 fee is waived instead of showing me the annual fee is $30. Maybe Hertz will just automatically refund my $30! :rolleyes:

So that link would be great for anyone who hasn't signed up yet. I did do some test bookings using the get a travel deal code but it was about $6 more than using AAA.

So it is still best to use AAA for the actual reservation once you get your free Gold membership.

Hertz is going to refund the $30 fee I paid! Free Hertz Gold for the year. Thanks Dr. Adam! :D

Whale watcher, where is Harpers in R/T pier? Has anyone used Avis in Hilo?
They were less than a mile away, and had a driver waiting for us when we arrived. We only chose this company because we wanted the flexibility to drive on the saddle road and the Mauna Loa Strip Road...they were actually the most expensive choice, but did allow travel on these roads (a priority for us, as we are birders and wanted to get to some of the more interesting birding habitat).

Hi, I have a question??? I want to book a car in Hilo (convertible) and I tried these sites that was recommended www.discounthawaiicarrental.com & www.hawaiicarrentals.net and both of these sites it said they do provide shuttle from pier to airport!!! I am confused, because when I booked it, it said pier pick up & they emailed me after reserving that they do not offer shuttle pick up from pier. I was told I had to book directly with car rental company to get the shuttle pick up. Please help & explain!!! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hey thanks! This was good info. I signed up using my AAA and got the 50% discount. So.......of course, the next day I find a site that provides a 100% discount (never fails, right?). I hear Hertz is good about refunding the gold memberships at a pro-rated unused amount for the year. But, I'm happy to have gotten the 50%. Anyways, with my luck, by the time I cancel the 50% sign-up, and do the 100% sign up, no doubt all the convertables, that I want to rent, will be gone :)

Here's the link for the 100% off for the Gold. I tried it, (didn't fill it out all the way) but, it seems to work:

http://getatraveldeal.com/2009/05/30/hertz-1-gold-card.aspx

Dr. Adam Bricker, -Love Boat

Does anyone know if this waives the fee every year, or just for the first year?

I've been working the rental car merry-go-round myself.

Enterprise was not open late enough on the day we wanted to use them. We are a frequent customer of Enterprise.

I'm staying completely away from Thrifty and the other lower priced rental companies because of what I've read on these boards. We will probably use Hertz.

Another thing about Hertz. If you plan on using your Amex Rewards points for the rental, regardless of gold status, you still have to go to the counter for check in because they have to see the certificate. This is what I was told last night when I called.

Does anyone know if this waives the fee every year, or just for the first year?

the waiver of the $60 "Annual" fee is wavied the first year. However, from reading other travel related boards, when the first year is up, Hertz will generally waive the renewal annual fee, as part of trying to keep a customer, especially if you rented a more than once or twice in the first year.

the link again:

http://getatraveldeal.com/2009/05/30...gold-card.aspx

Dr.Adam Bricker - Love Boat

We used Thrifty in all the ports and had no truoble at all. Even in Kauai we upgraded because we added an extra person and it only cost $8 with blue chip and the ship discount. We had no problem in Kauai was quick and easy.

Thanks for the posts giving recent experiences! Maybe they have worked to improve their service recently. You would think they could be better prepared when a cruise ship was in port. :rolleyes:

I'm still not sure about Hilo as Hertz is so much higher. Otherwise I think I'm with GAPeaches and will use Hertz.

Has anyone had any experience with renting a car in Waikiki compared to picking one up at the airport. I am less concerned with price than I am in saving time and being quickly on our way. The thought of the mass commute from the pier and the resulting lines at the airport leaves me a little uneasy.

Also, we plan on ending the day in Waikiki and the time that would be saved in being right there in Waikiki after the car return seems to be desirable for our schedule. I'm under the impression the distance to Waikiki is about 3 miles and a $20 cab fare.

Boat arrives at 7 AM and departs at 11 PM. Car rental office(s) is/are open until 9:00 PM, tho we'd likely be dropping it off around 4 to 6 PM.

We'd originally booked a one day rental for the 2nd day in Maui from PofA, but decided today to make it a 2 day rental. I went to the Avis website to make the change. Our original rate had been $31 a day (plus the taxes of 9=$40 for a med sized car). When I changed the days the rate went up to $56 a day plus the coupon I had was no longer valid for the week before and after Thanksgiving! Also, it was charging me for 2 days plus 7 hours! So I canceled it and booked with Thrifty.

Thrifty was still $31 a day (w/taxes $40) for a Chrysler Sebring or equivalent. I saw no where to enter my coupon but have it for checking in (one car upgrade).

Do they keep the printout of the Thrifty upgrade coupon? I printed it for our Hilo rental and did not make 2 copies (I'll need one for Maui now). Wonder if I can find it again! Anyone have the link?

Also, although I used the discounthawaiicarrental.com/cruiseship no where did it say anything about a shuttle. Will I just automatically be on the list or do I need to call Thrifty to be sure there will be seats for us?

Also, the website above said no charge for additional or underage drivers, but the "contract" says there may be a charge. Anyone have a problem with two drivers (not underage) and having a charge for the 2nd? Thanks

Archived