Footwear in the Baltic

Shir Hayam

I've posted this message on the Northern European board, but sometimes things are fairly quiet over there. Perhaps you experienced Celebrity cruisers can help.

DH and I have started to pack for our June 13 cruise on the Constellation. We've checked the weather and it looks pretty cool and maybe wet for the next 10 days out. Soooooo......I was going to bring comfortable walking sandals for touring, but it looks too cool for those. I'm planning on bringing my good walking sneakers, but hate the thought of wearing those every day. My DH loves his light hikers and will wear those, but I think my hikers look too clunky for walking around European capitols. Any suggestions from those of you who've done the Baltic in late spring?

Thanks.

Sheila

There was a discussion on the Europe Mediterranean boards a few weeks back on footwear. You might want to search for it. I know several people suggested Merrell. I have a pair of Merrells that are a hiking type bottom but look like sneakers. That is what I plan to wear in our ports where there are uneven surfaces.

JMHO but as to looking like a tourist I don't think you can avoid that since that is what you are. Your language, guide books, maps and cameras usually would tip someone off before your footwear would so I would wear what is comfortable and safe.

LOL! Some comments are really funny!:D But if serious, I would recommend not only to take walking and comfortable shoes, but a few pairs of good walking sneakers. I've been to the Baltic (Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia) probably 20 times (at least). The weather is unpredictable there and it rains a lot. And they have more cold days in summer (even in July) then really warm or hot days. We are going there in July (Century) and, believe me, I will pack more long-sleeves tops and jeans then t-shirts and shorts.

Thanks, everyone. Looks like I'm headed out for some last minute shoe shopping ;).

Sheila

We have always done the first Baltic cruises of the season and will again in May 2010. It has always been downright cold. Coat and mittens sometimes in the past and of course the pouring rain. Of course, weather can surprise you, but both times we have needed heavy coats and an umbrella. Sneakers and shoes would be my recommendation, but not sandals.

I have just had a look at my Baltic photogrpahs from last May to see what shoes I took with me to try and help you. I wore a pair of sneaker type shoes and and I also wore a pair of walking sandals as we did have some very warm days. As long as whatever you wear is comfortable!;)

Hope this helps:confused:

Just got back off the Century Baltic cruise last week. Granted, we had what everyone called rare and spectacular weather - but I wore sneakers and Merrell walking shoes most days and DH wore a pair of walking shoes. Keens I think. I wore shorts a couple of days and would have worn them more often if I had known how much the days would warm up. Think layers. No heavy coats. I have a half suitcase of sweaters that went completely unworn. And wear what shoes are comfortable and think about the many miles you will be walking. I wear low heels most days and rarely sit down. But my Merrell walking shoes gave me a blister the first day after we walked for 5 hours straight. Never had that problem before - but I don't think I normally walk non-stop for 5 hours. Worry about comfort. Don't ruin your trip by getting blisters that prevent all the walking you need to do in St. Petersburg because you are trying to look like something other than what you are. Nothing screams tourist like someone wearing flats whose feet are covered in band-aids. ;)

I've posted this message on the Northern European board, but sometimes things are fairly quiet over there. Perhaps you experienced Celebrity cruisers can help.

DH and I have started to pack for our June 13 cruise on the Constellation. We've checked the weather and it looks pretty cool and maybe wet for the next 10 days out. Soooooo......I was going to bring comfortable walking sandals for touring, but it looks too cool for those. I'm planning on bringing my good walking sneakers, but hate the thought of wearing those every day. My DH loves his light hikers and will wear those, but I think my hikers look too clunky for walking around European capitols. Any suggestions from those of you who've done the Baltic in late spring?

Thanks.

Sheila

We did the Baltic in Sept 2007. I wore walking sneakers the first port in Stockholm....and my feet were miserable, couldn't wait to get them off. For the rest of the ports I wore my Birkenstock sandles...I live in those until the snow flies in MN. They were perfect on anything we walked on..cobblestones, wet or dry. My feet never hurt again.. The weather was cool, 40's and 50's, no problem. But I am used to those temps in MN. The only time my feet got cold was in Oslo on our very early tour when the temps were in the high 30's as we went to the ski hill. However the bus was nice and warm so my feet weren't cold for long.

Enjoy your cruise, it was awesome for us.

I should add that I wore those same sandles on our Med cruise last year. No problems on any surface and no sore feet

Thanks again for all your great suggestions. I did go out and do some last minute shopping. Found some leather Ecco walking shoes that definitely look better than my reliable walking sneakers (white). I will take both, as well as the comfy sandals just in case we luck into the same good weather as Suz. Meanwhile, I'd appreciate it if you could all think SUN for us :D.

Sheila

Archived