Finally---reasonable airfare, now which ship?

cruiseawaits

I have been monitoring airfare from NYC area for approximately 2 months. Really want to fly non-stop to SJU since last year's flights (Miami layovers) were nightmares X 100. We will be sailing 2/14/10 during winter break season in the Northeast(in the education field and only time during winter to cruise), and airfare is extremely high(norm-$594 to $760/pp non-stop round trip). Well I refuse to pay that much for the airfare when only using it to get to an embarkation port. Alas, Lady Luck appeared. Just booked Delta roundtrip from JFK to SJU for $284/pp. This price is less than layover in Miami price last year. Now the only problem, I need to book our cruise. Absolutely having the most difficult time deciding between RCCL Adventure of the Seas(sailed last February) or Carnival Victory. I guess maybe a great sale on sail will help me decide. Any recommendations on which ship to sail on 2/14/10??????? Cast your vote. Ship with the highest tally will be my pick.

That is a nice non stop airfare! We left out of San Juan in 11/07 and paid $258 RT (BOS-SJU). We are going out of SJU again this November and non stop fares are ranging between $380-$404. I'm still waiting for that drop before booking my air.:)

I also see the Caribbean Princess sails on 2/14, and that's the cruise I'm doing in November. Are you looking to do different islands or revisit favorites? I see that the Carnival Victory has a port each day, whereas the other two have one sea day. What ship amenities are important to you? Are you traveling with children?

That is a nice non stop airfare! We left out of San Juan in 11/07 and paid $258 RT (BOS-SJU). We are going out of SJU again this November and non stop fares are ranging between $380-$404. I'm still waiting for that drop before booking my air.:)

I also see the Caribbean Princess sails on 2/14, and that's the cruise I'm doing in November. Are you looking to do different islands or revisit favorites? I see that the Carnival Victory has a port each day, whereas the other two have one sea day. What ship amenities are important to you? Are you traveling with children?

Looking to visit favorites(St. Maarten, St. Thomas) and new ports)St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Antigua). We have sailed Carnival 8 times, but never on the Victory(however, sailed sister ship Triumph) and were on the AOS this past February. AOS is almost double the price of the Victory. I just thought if there were very strong opinions or significant experiences on one versus the other, that would perhaps sway my decision.

We were on the AOS in May, and a co-worker was on Victory in April. The AOS was fantastic, but it was our 1st cruise so YMMV. My co-worker (4 time cruiser) said the Victory was good, but the food service was 4 out of 5 stars, read what you can from that. The ports are all different so maybe that should weigh your choice.

Archived