"T" or taxi from Logan to Copley & Copley to Black Falcon pier?

MrsBBuffalo

I'm reading mixed opinions on whether our party of 3 in good health should take the T or a taxi from Logan Intl to Westin Copley Place on a Friday evening in September. And then we need to get from Copley to Black Falcon Pier on Saturday around noon.

Can someone estimate the cost of a taxi for 3 with 5-6 bags on those trips? And how long does it take by T and by taxi to make those trips?

Our Fodor's travel book mentions an airport shuttle for the Westin CP, but we are having trouble confirming that online. Guess a phone call is in order. ;)

This is our first trip to Boston. We will have Saturday morning to look around and then 1 1/2 days to stay again after our cruise. We welcome any advice on must-sees we can do in 1/2 day sections. (Our daughter will not be staying after the cruise.)

Thanks!

I'm reading mixed opinions on whether our party of 3 in good health should take the T or a taxi from Logan Intl to Westin Copley Place on a Friday evening in September. And then we need to get from Copley to Black Falcon Pier on Saturday around noon.

Can someone estimate the cost of a taxi for 3 with 5-6 bags on those trips? And how long does it take by T and by taxi to make those trips? The taxi from the airport to the Westin is estimated at about $32 - don't know the extras for baggage. However, if you take the Silver Line to South Station and then a cab to the Westin you will pay $2/pp on the Silver Line and about $10 + bags for the taxi.

Our Fodor's travel book mentions an airport shuttle for the Westin CP, but we are having trouble confirming that online. Guess a phone call is in order. ;)There are 2 Westin Hotels - Copley Place and Convention Center. Call and confirm, but I'm sure the Copley Westin does not have a free shuttle.

This is our first trip to Boston. We will have Saturday morning to look around and then 1 1/2 days to stay again after our cruise. We welcome any advice on must-sees we can do in 1/2 day sections. (Our daughter will not be staying after the cruise.) Saturday morning I would either explore the Back Bay area around Copley Place or take a cab to Black Falcon to drop off your luggage and then take the Silver Line back into Boston to explore a bit of the Freedom trail or Faneuil Hall.

I can't help you with the taxi/T questions, I always drive myself in boston.

As for the morning before you head to the cruise ship I would just look around the Copley area, check out the stores, window shop. you might be able to take a stroll down Newbury street (mostly high end shops,)

After the cruise when you have more time

1. walk the freedom trail if it is nice out

2. Take the orange/brown? trolley. for one set fair you can get on and off all around the city and the drivers supply you with a wealth of history trivia

3. FANUIEL HALL/QUINCY MARKET

4. North end- go to Mikes' pastry- the best, Eat at just about any restaurant, you will not be dissappointed

5.Prudential center, shopping, on a clear day go to the observatory. Have a drink at the "Top of the Hub"

6. Museum of science (esp. if it's a yucky weather day)

7. Aquarium

8. the real DUCK BOATS

9. Boston Common, stroll around, take the swan boat ride if it's still operating.

10. Cheers is near the common, I think it is over rated and the food is so so.- right near the common is a street CHARLES STREET. great window shopping, couple of markets there that julia child shopped at. Check out all the signs over the doorways, all wooden and carved. The upper crust pizza is good.

11. Beacon hill wandering around check out the purple window panes in some of the windows, more than 100 years old, made by mistake, can't be duplicated.

That should keep you busy for a day and a half!!:D

You are welcome.

I forgot to add that you can take a FREE tour of the USS Constitution ( you can get off at the charlestown navy yard while on the brown/orange trolley)

If you plan it just right you can see them shoot the cannon and take down the flag at dusk, it is something to see, very patriotic.

Also, the sailors onboard old iron sides wear the old style uniforms from that time period and they are real sailors and can answer any question you have about the ship. they must be well versed in the history of the ship in ordered to be stationed on the ship.

Also, if you walk along the harbor across the street from Faneuil hall (rowe's wharf area) IF the redsox are in town you can get a peek at the Iroquios (John Henry's yacht, he own's the redsox) There are other Yachts back there too, it is a nice stroll.

Also, if you want to take the boston harbor tour or the spirit of Boston dinner cruise

the boston garden also has the bronze statues of the ducks from the classic children's story "make way for ducklings"

across from the state house is the monument real men of the movie "Glory"

I'm sure I'll think of more things that are cheap or free for you to do!

• 4 weeks later...

Unless prices have changed in the last year or you catch really bad traffic that may change the rate I believe the taxi ride will be from the Pier to the hotel or vice versa between 13-15 dollars. My previous job was located across the street from the Westin and our warehouse was literally a few hundred feet from the pier and I had to take cabs there a few times and that was the price i got. If you are carrying 5-6 bags that should be no problem just make sure you tell the front desk at the hotel to call you a cab but of the mini van variety if you dont see one outside. It is about 3-4 mile ride but kind of hard to get to because of all the construction detour and highways you have to go up and under through.

Taxi from the airport should be reasonably 30-35 bucks to the Copley area. I have a family member who works for Atlantic limocar service and they charge 35 dollars. They mainly use Lincoln Towncars or similar to pick you up.

In regards to taking the Silver Line vs taxi. If money is really an issue then take the silver line and save 20-25 bucks. If you rather not have to worry about loading your luggage and would prefer to save yourself 30 or more minutes travel time just take a taxi. Save yourself the stress folks (supposed to be a vacation lol). If you are looking for places to "window shop" and people watch that Saturday would be a nice time in the afternoon o walk up and down Newbury st which is approximately 2 blocks parallel to the hotel. Its about a mile and a half long with hundreds of shops and lil fancy restaurants with outdoor patios to eat at. (I usually stroll through there in the summer about 2-3 times a month) That should take up 2 or so hours of your time. Quincy market since you are healthy is about a 20-25 minutes walk from the hotel depending your route which can take you through other popular landmakrs along the way like Mommyd said.

I believe someone mentioned the "DuckTours". Yes that is the tour to take. You will have no problem finding them as they are right up the street from the hotel .I would say the depart about 200 feet from the Westin, mhmm that close. Another place close by you can go to is the Prudential tower also within a few hundred feet. admission to that is 10 bucks and takes you to the 49th floor to see Boston and its suburbs

Thanks to all who have posted here for us. :)

Newera09, most recently, you gave us a lot of helpful info. So since you are familiar with the Copley area, and the transportation, do you have some suggestions for good, not fancy, seafood either near our hotel area, or easily accessible by subway? I would say someplace you would take a family.

Thanks again!

Check out the Summer Shack, 50 Dalton St, for seafood.

Also, I have a different opinion on the duck tour. I've been on this tour from the Prudential and I enjoyed it. However, it is what it is - an 80 minute nonstop tour in a quirky converted LST that circles around Boston to the central sights and plunges into the Charles River for a short ride. For a similar amount of money you can spend the day on the hop on hop off trolley, get a tour over a much wider area, and be able to hop on and off wherever you want to stop. If you feel you must take a boat ride, there is a "T" water taxi between Aquarium/Long Wharf and the USS Constitution for $2 each way.

I have to agree with 139E on Summer Shack. I've never been, but this is one of chef Jasper White's places and it will be quality. For seafood, I can also suggest Skipjack's next to Copley Sq and any Legal Seafoods Restaurant - there are three nearby: Copley Place, Prudential Center, and Park Plaza.

If you are down near the Pier, there is a small, little-known place called "Yankee Lobster", right at the entrance to the Boston Marine Industrial Park. The main building is a fish wholesaler, but the restaurant is in a modest little storefront out front and it is good - very fresh local seafood cooked simply (both are keys to great seafood). It's not much to look at, but locals know about it, and it is full of cops and construction workers at lunchtime. Try it sometime.

Also in the Back Bay, for lunch you could try the Parish Cafe, 361 Boylston St, down near the Public Gardens.

As for traveling from Logan to the Westin Copley, I would spend the $30 and take a cab direct - you're on vacation after all. Everything else is needless hassle.

Friday evening if it's pleasant out, you should stroll Newbury Street and maybe stop in at one of the outdoor cafes.

I have to agree with 139E on Summer Shack. I've never been, but this is one of chef Jasper White's places and it will be quality.

I've been to Summer Shack a few times, and was very disappointed with the food. I don't know what Jasper White has done in other restaurants, but whatever he's done with SS, hasn't worked for me. I love Skipjack's. Both it and Legal Seafood are solid bets for seafood.

• 1 month later...
Taxi from the airport should be reasonably 30-35 bucks to the Copley area. I have a family member who works for Atlantic limocar service and they charge 35 dollars. They mainly use Lincoln Towncars or similar to pick you up.

Could you confirm the exact name and contact info for the Limo service that you are refering to, newera09? I tried to do a search and could not find a company with exactly the name you mention above.

Thank you! We are getting in a little later than previously planned and, faced with Friday evening commuter traffic, I'd like to get a quote from them for transport from Logan to Copley for 3 with luggage.

Could you confirm the exact name and contact info for the Limo service that you are refering to, newera09? I tried to do a search and could not find a company with exactly the name you mention above.

Thank you! We are getting in a little later than previously planned and, faced with Friday evening commuter traffic, I'd like to get a quote from them for transport from Logan to Copley for 3 with luggage.

Hey sorry I hadnt replied sooner, havent been on here in a few days. Well I got a quote for how much it would be, but I would need to know what time you are arriving. The price is $40 dollars including luggage. Please email me with the info and I can tell you more. Its my business email so I usually reply almost instantly; ACFAN82@Gmail.com

Thanks to all who have posted here for us. :)

Newera09, most recently, you gave us a lot of helpful info. So since you are familiar with the Copley area, and the transportation, do you have some suggestions for good, not fancy, seafood either near our hotel area, or easily accessible by subway? I would say someplace you would take a family.

Thanks again!

Um in regards to Seafood, Im not a big seafood person BUT I do know the one place you cannot go wrong is "Legal Seafood" . Some people have mentioned Skipjacks and Summer Shack which are pretty close and not bad prices. Legal Seafood would probably be maybe 5-10 percent more than those other places, if that but quality and presentation those other places don't compare. The Legal Seafood closest to where you will be staying is ..............across the street right next to the Prudential tower where the Skywalk is, approximately a 5 minute walk, or 10 minutes at a sightseeing pace. The place to order your Ducktour tickets are about 400 ft from the Legal Seafood and about 200 ft from the Entrance to the prudential Tower. You could kill 3 birds within an 1/8 of a mile from your hotel:p

Archived