Galveston Car Rentals

ricntina

• 3 weeks later...
Are there any Car Rental Agencies in Galveston. Hertz used to be there, but think the hurricane ended that. Thanks.

Rick

I just have to quickly tell this true story. Last October, we booked our March cruise on the Conquest. In November, I did the research to find a rental car after the cruise ended. Using Hertz's own website, I rented a car, on-line, to pick it up from their Galveston office. Seemed simple enough.

When our ship arrived back on Sunday, I called the Hertz number to get directions from the terminal to their Galveston office. That's when I found out that the office had been shut down long before I even made the on-line rental. Hertz's head office could not explain why their website allowed me to book the car, but it did.

In all fairness, although I was obviously very annoyed, they treated me pretty well and paid for a cab to their closest location and only charged me $15 total to rent the car for the day.

I don't believe any Enterprise location in any part of the country is open on Sunday. Renting a car in Galveston is difficult in general.

A quick check of enterprise's website showed several locations across the country that are open on sunday, so thats not it.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to do the car rental thing but no drop locations in Galveston!! The best we can do is drop at Hobby!

We are on a TA in Nov. 2010 and have almost the same problem. We dock in Galveston, but looks like we will have to take ships shuttle from Galveston to Hobby, and then rent a car for the drive home.

Is Enterprise the only car rental in Galveston?

Apparently they are closed on Sundays and only open on Saturday from 9-12noon.

Seems like there's a big need for more rental places or at least more open weekend hours. Does anyone know if there's anything that might be coming in the near future?

HOBBY TO GALVESTON CRUISE PORT?

Anyone can tell me how to get there?

Taxi, bus?

Time involved?

Price?

Looking at the TA to Barcelona in April 2010.

Have done it before but arrived 6am at Houston Bush and the taxi was very expensive to the port.

We did the westbound TA on Voyager in Nov 08, and needed to get from Galveston to Hobby.

I originally had enterprise booked for one way car rental but that's only because I had reserved before Hurricane Ike came through in Sept 08. They actually never cancelled the reservation- I only found out they were closed from CC boards here.

We ended up using a private car service which worked out great, but I think they've now figured out there is a bit of a monopoly as their quote has jumped from $178 including gratuity in Dec 08 to $255 not including gratituty for Feb 10- same # of pax although looking to go to IAH instead of Hobby in Feb 10.

So, still looking for better options than the ship's $46 per person one way shuttle fare.

Since our trip is a family cruise and we've already put together one super shuttle for 10 people at $150 plus tip, I may end up doing that and either splitting costs across our gorup, or opening up shuttle to the roll call to see if others want in for a cheaper alternative.

Wendy

It seems to be a little challenging for two people to fly into Houston and get to Galveston the day before a cruise especially if it leaves on Sunday. It's doable but looks like the lowest cost will be about $100:( and then no wheels to get around Galveston after arriving there, guess we'll stay close to the hotel. Taxi to ship the morning of the cruise but that's not a big deal.

I do believe there is money to be made for someone opening a transportation operation in Galveston!!!

Hope someone will let us know if anything opens up any time soon.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Ricntina,

You can refer hertz.com, enterprise.com and portofgalveston.com/cruiseinformation/carrentals.shtml.

Thank You.

The Port of Galveston web site does show Hertz being in Galveston, but they need to update their website.

Thanks for trying to help.

• 1 month later...
HOBBY TO GALVESTON CRUISE PORT?

Anyone can tell me how to get there?

Taxi, bus?

Time involved?

Price?

Looking at the TA to Barcelona in April 2010.

Have done it before but arrived 6am at Houston Bush and the taxi was very expensive to the port.

Hi Pollux,

I'm currently looking at this TA as well and was looking for the same information. I'm wondering if you have found out any more info? Seems like the area has a monopoly on transportation. Maybe if we end up booking this cruise it would be beneficial for 4 people - or more if we find others in the roll call - to split transportation? (i.e., hire a van).

Let me know,

Brian

... Maybe if we end up booking this cruise it would be beneficial for 4 people - or more if we find others in the roll call - to split transportation? (i.e., hire a van)...

Per the Sticky post titled What is a ROLL CALL and how do I find mine? at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44773:

Please note, the Cruise Critic Guidelines do not allow personal ads of any kind in posts. This would include personal ads looking to share shore excursions/tours, transportation, etc. Posts of this nature are removed from all forums... with one exception. If you are sailing on a specific ship and departure date, you may post your share request on the Roll Call thread for your cruise. You are targeting the specific group of people who would be most inclined to share since they are already sailing with you. Please remember, do not start a new Roll Call thread with your share request. Use your existing Roll Call thread to post your share request.

I hope this information will be helpful!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Archived