Venice Hotel What Would You Do???

We are going to be in Venice pre-cruise two nights in June. There are about 17 of us total and I have double booked all of us at two similarly rated (3star) hotels. One is right in the "heart" by Plaza San Marco and a double room is approximately 55 Eu per night less than the other, which is located about 10 minute walk from San Marco, but is right by the water (lagoon?) We want to spend the time seeing Venice -- Is it really worth the extra money for the pricier hotel with the outdoor ambiance......or will we only see the hotel at bedtime? The opinion of all, but especially of those of you who travel to Europe all the time is appreciated........ (I am driving my self nuts...one day I think we should spend the money since it is a once in a lifetime city, then I re-think and feel like it's wasteful to spend the extra money for a couple of hours! Help!

SR

We were in Venice last year and stayed at a place near Piazza San Marco. It was convenient for us because we took the Airport water bus which dropped us at the Piazza and we could "easily" walk through the square to the hotel (as easy as it is with 4 bags, cobblestones, stairs and pigeons.)

Venice is a walking city. You will be walking everywhere, in all kinds of nooks and crannies, in busy places like San Marco and in quiet street areas. Where you stay may have little bearing on your time there.

For us, we just did not have any point of reference other than Piazza San Marco, so we stayed at the property near there. It was Albergo San Marco and the price at that time was very good, otherwise we might have re-thought things. After spending 2 days pre-cruise, I think next time the location of the hotel will not be as critical, since we now know where things are and know how unimportant day-to-day transportation was. And, of course, we did not spend any waking time in the room.

You are going to have a FANTASTIC time in Venice, regardless of where you stay.

I have a different point of reference...In three visits to the City, I have always stayed in the vicinity of the Piazza Roma/RR Station...

My view of Venice is this: Almost ALL of Venice is charming...and it's all very easy to access....ONCE you've gotten your luggage checked into a hotel, that is!!!

I think some locations are overrated...being at a hotel "on the water"?? Almost EVERYTHING in Venice is "on the water" (besides, just because your hotel is near water doesn't mean YOUR room has a view of it!)... Being "near San Marco"? With easy to use Vaporetti, you are ALWAYS near San Marco as long as you're near a vaporetti station...

So, I look for other things in choosing a hotel in Venice. Number one is CONVENIENCE. How do you get from the airport to your hotel and from your hotel to the ship WITH your luggage? It's hard to schlep luggage onto a vaporetti...If you are near Piazza Roma, you can use ordinary taxis or buses and then walk...Otherwise, you are likely depending on EXPENSIVE water taxis...For these, it helps if your hotel has a dock...also figure this expense into your overall cost...

Second convenience issue is how close you are to a vaporetti station...Locations on the Grand Canal are great because a good many vaporetti lines pass right by...Also, even if you are at San Marco, you will want to visit other parts of town...I highly recommend a visit to the Ghetto...Some folks want to go to Murano (Don't fall for the "free trip" scam...not even when arranged by your hotel--it's a high pressure sales thing you will learn to hate)...Having the Vaporetti handy will be nice...Rialto Bridge deserves a visit as well...

Next most important issue is the hotel itself...some are nicer than others...

I highly recommend the last two places I've stayed:

http://www.hotelcapri.net/

http://www.venice-hotel.carltongrandcanal.com/

Both are under the same ownership and both near the Piazza Roma...

Also in the vicinity is a very nice Sofitel...

Which hotels are the two at which you have the tentative reservations?

Thanks Chickpal and Bruin Steve for the reply.

Right now I'm holding reservations at Ca' Formenta, which is about a 10 min. walk from San Marco along the "waterway" Alilaguna supposedly drops you off about two bridges away; they also have their own landing for private water taxi - they are the pricier of the two, but still okay at 215 Eu for doubles.

The second hotel is Antica Venezia, in the heart of San Marco... supposed to take Alilaguna to the Plaza stop and walk (about 2 minutes) to hotel. Their price is extremely reasonable.... 160 Eu for a double in June. I have actually tried to book us into numerous hotels, but given the number of rooms I need (we just went up to 19 people) it has been difficult. Another consideration is that part of the group is not getting in until the day before the cruise (only 1 night) and some of the hotels such as the Carlton & Grand Canal require a two night minimum. I don't know if I can still get into the Ca' Gottardi, which is closer to the train station; their rates were in line with Ca' Formenta..... Going to check Hotel Capri soon and report back.

Thank you!

SR

Last year we were on the Millenium, I believe with Chick's Pal. We stayed at the Hotel Carlton which was across the canal from the train station. It was not a far walk from the central bus station. Of course, it was hot, humid, there were 2 bridges, and we had 5 pieces of luggage between the two of us. There was a vaporetto stop on both sides of the canal near us, and to get from the hotel to the ship we shared a water taxi with two other couples. There was a taxi stop right in front of the hotel. Got a great internet special, and breakfast was included. Wish I were joining you.

Judy

I would recommend to stay close to San Marco. Especially when you stay just for two nights, and some people even only for one night, it is much niecer to be near to the main sights. You will not have time to venture to all parts of Venice anyway.

Also, one highlight is to enjoy the late evening on the Piazza San Marco with live orchestras playing outside.

The train station is at the totally opposite side of Venice. You would need more than thirty minutes to go there by Vaporetto.

The Ca' Formenta is located at the Via Gariabaldi which is a broad basic shopping street used by locals. Yet it is quite atypical for Venice. Nothing you think of in terms of narrows streets and canals. While I do not know the Antica Venezia, "in the heart of San Marco" sounds better. Nevertheless the walk from Ca' Formenta to San Marco is a nice one alongside the lagoon.

What ever you decide, you will enjoy Venice!

Archived