Muster drill - elevator question

I am waiting for a total knee replacement in the fall, and am now wearing a rather cumbersome brace on my leg. Stairs are a real problem for me now (very slow and very painful) - so what can I do about using the elevator during the muster? Do I have to talk to someone in advance, or just explain it at the drill time? Thanks for any advice!

It may be possible to talk to someone ahead of time or at the time I'm sure. But another idea, since you know what time muster is supposed to be, and they typically make announcements before hand (say 5 or 10 minutes), just head down a bit early on the elevator rather than waiting for the alarm to sound. That way you beat the crowd as well.

It would be best if you informed Carnival in advance. You can do that here:

800-438-6744 extension 70025

Make sure you have your booking number available.

Failing that, go directly to the Purser's Desk upon embarkation and inform them then.

All the best!!

:)

Thanks for asking this.

I have a broken leg and am on crutches and will be for the cruise. I will definitely go to the pursers desk as well about this.

I can do stairs but slowly and I dont really want to hold up too many people

I would let them know now and when on board. Remember, while the muster is only for practice, you, more so than the passenger with good knees, need to know what to do in the event of an emergency, especially since your bum leg will slow you down.

Wow, so many replies in such a short time. What woud we do without this board? Thanks, everyone, who took the time to reply. I surely do not want to slow everyone else down (I am a total slug on stairs right now)... Thanks for the phone # Mach, I'm calling now (Got my docs today, so booking # is right in front of me!!!!)

I had a roommate with mobility issues on one cruise I went on. I contacted Carnival prior to the cruise and they noted this on her reservation. The steward came to the cabin prior to the drill and told her she did not have to participate and that he would be responsible for assisting her if she wanted to. As a veteran of many cruises she opted out of the drill. Just make sure either you or your TA or CVP lets Carnival know of your limitations and they will take care of you.

I have bad knees. If I am having a bad day, I will simply leave a bit early for the muster station and use the elevator. If I am dealing with just one or two flights of stairs, it is no problem for me even on a bad day. I do feel it is important to know where the muster station is and that is why I do not choose to be exempted from the drill.

Doc

I have bad knees. If I am having a bad day, I will simply leave a bit early for the muster station and use the elevator. If I am dealing with just one or two flights of stairs, it is no problem for me even on a bad day. I do feel it is important to know where the muster station is and that is why I do not choose to be exempted from the drill.

Doc

I'm not trying to get out of it, I agree that it is important... I just want to know how to do this withouth holding up the crowd.

I called Carnival (thanks again for the number, Mach) and told them about my problem.. it's now been documented for both cruises. She told me to just speak with the purser, different ships handle this in different manners (I may go down on the elevator early, could go do a different area, or some other choices). Hate to not have the "I'm so hot, where's my drink" muster drill pictures for these cruises!!! :D Hopefully, next year's cruise, new knee!

Archived