Playa Palancar questions

sappygirl

Hi there - we were there in April and had a wonderfully laid-back time on the beach. We did the boat snorklling there as well. We arrived about 10 AM (2 adults and 2 kids), went right to the place where they have a couple very nice guys help get you ready to snorkle. We had never been, well my sister had one other time, but the kids and I were newbies. They had lockers there, not fancy, but we had room for all our things in a large square locker, we locked it with the paddle lock and kept the key with us the rest of the time until we needed back in. Since we were nearly the first people there, we basically had the tour to ourselves. Just the boat driver, our instructor and us. We had a wonderful time. Felt totally safe, and just cruised along at our own pace. We were out about 1 and 1/2 hours, and had the whole area to ourselves. My kids are 11 and 13 yrs, and they would go back in a heartbeat. They were a bit nervous jumping out of the boat, because we were kind of far out from the shore, but they soon forgot about it when they put their heads in the water and saw crystal clear views of the reef.

Now, being by first time snorkeling on a reef, I can't really tell you whether or not it is the best of the best. But, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Saw many varities of fish, some close enough to nearly touch. Many baracudas. A baby sea turtle (cute). Just really loved floating casually alone the surface of the ocean seeing life from a slightly different angle.

Sure hope you give it an try and have a wonderful time. By the way, we spent a few hours back at the shore under a grass hut enjoying drinks, wonderful Mexican food, and combing the beach as the girls shore snorkeled. (They let you keep your gear the remainder of the time you are there.) Totally relaxing day. And what was equally rewarding was knowing that when we got back on the ship, we could shower, and sit down to a wonderful dinner that I didn't have to cook or clean-up after. A slice of heaven. Have an awesome time no matter what you decide.

Archived