Lava at the summit of Kilauea

DonahCBrown

Just to clarify what we're seeing in that great video: It's of active, frothing lava about 100 Meters below the surface of that new vent within Halemaumau, as seen from the lip of Halemaumau directly over the vent. This is NOT something that visitors can see. The area where this video was taken is closed to visitors and only open to scientists and park personnel with breathing masks and the like. It is extraordinarily dangerous out there, but volcanologists are the craziest people I've ever met.

This lava is what causes the glow at night as seen from the Jaggar Museum. I'd love to see it continue to rise in the conduit and spill out onto the floor of Halemaumau! That would be cool...

As sceptic said, this is a video of the lava from a camera set up by the scientists up at VNP. This is not a video that you or I could shoot!! It may be possible to see the glow from this lava standing on the viewing platform at the Jaggar Museum after dark. Unfortunately, cruise pax have to be back on the ship, so cannot be at the park for these after dark sights. However, during the day, you can see this same vent emitting a fabulous steam plume. Some very exciting stuff right now up at VNP.

Archived