Ocho Rios? Good or Bad!

redpelican

I have read a lot of conflicting stuff about Ocho Rios on these boards and on the ship reviews. Quite a few say they would never go back because of the pushy vendors. One poster even said a guide tried to puit drugs in her DH hands. We are going there next March. Any thoughts? Anyone? Good and bad will be appreciated!:confused:

I've been there twice. They are not just pushy, they're aggressive at times and I just don't feel safe. They offer you drugs and what not. It is a beautiful country but if it is ever a stop on any of my future cruises, I'd be staying on the ship.

You are going to get two completely different points of view, those who love it and those who hate it. I say go there and experience it for yourself, let YOU be the judge.

I loved Jamaica, I would go back in a heartbeat. It was my favorite port of call yet out of eastern and western Caribbean. I don't find things like pushy vendors a reason to dislike a place, but that's just me. You have to be careful anywhere you go, and I can completely see why people who have grown up in a city or a place of comfort without being exposed to much developing country struggles would not like it there. I have spent lots of time traveling alone and to all areas in the world. I also spent time in Kenya and I have a very high level of awareness and have learned how to approach and react to many situations. For this reason, I found Jamaica beautiful and the people are real. It's no Half Moon Cay, this is a REAL place where the struggles people there go through really exist to an extent that's hard for us to imagine. Be friendly but firm and stick together. If you get off and this isn't the place for you simply go back to the ship. Jamaica, however, has a very special place in my heart and makes me smile just thinking about my day there! The whole world isn't like where we live so get out there and get a taste of a new culture, it really expands your world and opinions on things like this! You will have a GREAT trip, happy sailing!!!!

Megan

It's all in where your comfort zone lies. Some people are from areas where exposure to drug peddlers is common and vagrants are abundant. Others refuse to allow a potential situation keep them from experiencing the port. Bad things can and often do happen in the very same areas we live in.

I had read the warnings before my second cruise and decided to get off the ship but kept an eye out for any of the things I had read on here. After experiencing Ochios Rios once I don't have any desire to get off the ship the next time one of our cruises has a stop there. That's my personal choice and based on what I'm comfortable with.

We have also been twice. The first time we did Dunn River Falls through the ship. We had a very professional and protective guide who took very good care of us. Our tablemates did the same tour through someone else. They had people tie bracelets on their wrist and demand payment. Others were offered drugs. Last December we went back with our DGD6. We were uneasy taking her anywhere. We got off the ship, got our passports stamped, shopped in the port area, and got back on the ship. One store in the port area put beads on everyone that entered the store, but did not expect payment for them. I would venture further on a ship's excursion again, but not with children.

Sewut

Like the previous poster said, it probably depends on your personality, and whether you mind having to say no numerous times per minute. I was there last week; I thought the scenery was beautiful, and I loved the shops. But I don't think I would get off the ship there again, because I just got tired of saying over and over, no thank you...I don't need a taxi, no thank you, I don't want to go here, or go there....Then we sat down in a little cafe by the water and started to order some food and there were people standing in the water trying to sell us stuff through the openings in the railing. I just got sick of it very quickly. We didn't have any problems with people offering us drugs or anything - only people trying to persuade us to buy their wares or service.

We were there last week. Did Dunns River Falls with a great guide. One of the excursions from the ship. Our guide told us to not go through the straw market which we didn't. We had no problems in Jamaica. It is an incredibly beautiful country. Loved climbing the falls, it is something not to be missed. No one offered us drugs or harassed us at all. No different from tons of other places I have been to. Don't let others keep you from doing something!

We have been there several times and one must be very careful.

This is probably the only port that we would only do a Carnival tour. Did Dunns River and it was great but too many people harassing me for me to be comfortable.

We were last there a year ago and went to Margaritaville right off the ship. Had a good time there but not sure we would get off the ship the next time we would go.

Jamaica is a poor country and people are desperate to earn a living and people like that will prey upon us rich Americans.

Golfadj

Like the previous poster said, it probably depends on your personality, and whether you mind having to say no numerous times per minute. I was there last week; I thought the scenery was beautiful, and I loved the shops. But I don't think I would get off the ship there again, because I just got tired of saying over and over, no thank you...I don't need a taxi, no thank you, I don't want to go here, or go there....Then we sat down in a little cafe by the water and started to order some food and there were people standing in the water trying to sell us stuff through the openings in the railing. I just got sick of it very quickly. We didn't have any problems with people offering us drugs or anything - only people trying to persuade us to buy their wares or service.

Agree 100 percent. Ocho Rios is about you and your personality. Having to say NO to an offer of this, that or the other can be fun for some and an annoyance for others. I HATE Disneyland because I don't like to stand in line while on vacation. As the years go by I tolerate Ocho Rios, but I would recommend seeing the place at least ONCE. Being around rude tourists and pushy locals is not fun for me.

OP- check out my Ocho Rios album. It might give you some ideas if the place is worth at least a few minutes off the ship. There are ways to experience a bit of the island and the non-pushy vendors by spending a few buck with a guide. Among great beauty is heart breaking poverty which can leave some disgusted and others heart sick. Your experience will depends more on YOU!

We have experienced 2 different sides of Jamaica.

2 or 3 times from the All Inclusive side - Enjoyed and loved every minute of it.

2 or 3 times from the cruise side - vastly different experience :eek:

DH and I were in Ocho Rios with his two sisters and their husbands. We did the Original Canopy Tour (zip-lining) with Chukka Cove Farms (booked through the cruise line, they don't take individual bookings) and had a blast. Then the tour driver dropped us off for shopping at the area right by the port. We went into several shops, and had a late lunch at Margaritaville before walking the short distance back to the ship.

We never once felt unsafe, never once were we approached to buy drugs, and did not find the sellers in the shops to be at all pushy. I wouldn't hesitate to go there again, and do a ship sponsored excursion and/or shop.

As said, it is what you make of it.

We took a bus to Dunns River Falls. At one stop, 2 males got onto the bus and offered to sell "gonga" to anyone who was interested. No one expressed any interest and they got right back off the bus.

When we left the falls, we had to say no to a few vendors, but it was not that much of an ordeal (having done my homework, we took an alternate walkway back to the parking lot).

I would go again in a heartbeat.

all i can say is ..... been there, done that, and won't ever do it again.

but, everybody has their own experiences with Ochos Rios ..... if you're willing to check it out, you may be one of the people who have a great experience there. unfortunately, that wasn't the case with us.

I am also hoping that when we go next month we have a good experience.

I am half Jamaican but have never been; my dad was born there and left when he was 17.

I really just want to experience some of Jamaica and get a feel of how things are.

I am expecting people to ask me for money. My dad has told me stories about when he goes there and because he's from Canada they assume he's rich. He has had people come up to him and say that they are family and need money (they may be family, but the just cared about the money).

If my dad went to a bar or a restaurant his "family" all expected him to pay because he's from Canada and therefore rich.

This isn't in Ocho Rios but I have always assumed that this is country wide, and knowing this before going I think will help me be able to say "No Thank You" to everyone.

We are not doing an excursion. but going to get some food and shop.

I am also hoping that when we go next month we have a good experience.

I am half Jamaican but have never been; my dad was born there and left when he was 17.

I really just want to experience some of Jamaica and get a feel of how things are.

I am expecting people to ask me for money. My dad has told me stories about when he goes there and because he's from Canada they assume he's rich. He has had people come up to him and say that they are family and need money (they may be family, but the just cared about the money).

If my dad went to a bar or a restaurant his "family" all expected him to pay because he's from Canada and therefore rich.

This isn't in Ocho Rios but I have always assumed that this is country wide, and knowing this before going I think will help me be able to say "No Thank You" to everyone.

We are not doing an excursion. but going to get some food and shop.

I am Jamaican but migrated to the States as a teenager. Now I return primarily as a tourist because most of my family migrated to Ontario Canada:D. Yes, the assumption of wealth is everywhere. Away from Ocho Rios some people with great spirit who can made you laugh. You will won't get a feel of how things are from a day at port in Ocho Rios. Your ship experience will be much different even from doing a resort stay. The place and vibe change when there is a ship in port. Ocho Rios, on cruise day, is on the same planet but different worlds with the rest of Jamaica. When you see the rest of Jamaica with such beauty, sometimes over shadow by ugly poverty, you will feel truly blessed and fortunate that it's someplace you vist but can leave. Take it for what it is!

Good Luck

Went to Ocho Rios in October because our ports were changed due to a storm. We did the Cool Running Catamaran to Dunns Falls - it was a lot of fun, though at the very end you could tell they were encouraging everyone to dance and what not as "advertising". The crew was very nice, though, and a lot of fun.

Didn't care for the shopping in town. Someone did try to offer us something illegal when we were at Dunns Falls (he reached through the fence), but we'd been warned so just said, "No thanks".

I would not purposely go there again, but wouldn't avoid an itinerary because of that one stop. I'd just try to do something as an excursion and then return to the ship early.

We've been there on all-inclusive vacations and on cruise ships.

We think the people there are very friendly and it's a beautiful country that will always be dear to us.

What some may see as pushy vendors, others see as very interesting people from a different culture that are a hoot to strike up a conversations with, treat with respect and actually get to know.

I find it a bit insulting to these great people for those of us who come from a different background to be afraid of.

The crime in Jamaica is largely confined to Kingston which is not a touristy spot. Not that crime isn't present any place on earth, but these are great people with a beautiful homeland worth seeing and worth getting to know.

Ignore the naysayers.

Jamaica is a beautiful green lush country. Yes there are Jamaicans there, and yes, some can be pushy. NO THANKS works wonders, even if you have to say it sometimes a couple of times to some. If you're not interested, don't look.

Take an organized tour. Get over to Dunns River Falls, and /or a botonical garden or plantation tour.

I am Jamaican but migrated to the States as a teenager. Now I return primarily as a tourist because most of my family migrated to Ontario Canada:D. Yes, the assumption of wealth is everywhere. Away from Ocho Rios some people with great spirit who can made you laugh. You will won't get a feel of how things are from a day at port in Ocho Rios. Your ship experience will be much different even from doing a resort stay. The place and vibe change when there is a ship in port. Ocho Rios, on cruise day, is on the same planet but different worlds with the rest of Jamaica. When you see the rest of Jamaica with such beauty, sometimes over shadow by ugly poverty, you will feel truly blessed and fortunate that it's someplace you vist but can leave. Take it for what it is!

Good Luck

I know that I wont get a feel of all of Jamaica from the one day visit, especially since like any place one area can be totally different from another area. My dad was born in Spanish Town, and most of his family have come to ontario as well, Mainly Kitchener Ontario.

I will just be happy to say that I have stepped foot in the Country where my family is from :D

I know that I wont get a feel of all of Jamaica from the one day visit, especially since like any place one area can be totally different from another area. My dad was born in Spanish Town, and most of his family have come to ontario as well, Mainly Kitchener Ontario.

I will just be happy to say that I have stepped foot in the Country where my family is from :D

My family is spread out in Toronto, Brampton, Etobicoke, Missiauga, Oakville and Hamilton, that I can recall:D. Whatever you think of Ocho Rios, make sure you try a resort stay in the future. A part of what many Americans see as pushy is actual a part of the culture itself. Some of the best and polished Jamaicans can get in your 'grill' in a heart beat. In other areas they have a sense of humor to go along with it:D After 20 years DH is still a bit intimidated at family reunions.

Just returned from Ocho Rios and I would suggest hiring a personal guide for the day which is your safest bet for a relaxing day. No one will bother you if you are traveling with a respected local. Here's my review:

JAMAICA PORT: 1st time here and we booked a guide for the day which was our best decision. Marva Shaw of knowjamaica.com is reputable and spoken of in many reviews - her son, Javier, did a fabulous job of providing very personal service. I requested specific cultural experiences and that's exactly what we got. We escaped the crowds at Dunns and went where the locals go to Hidden Falls where you can explore on your own. We stopped at a roadside vendor and sampled sugar cane, breadfruit, jackfruit and coconut. We learned about the indigenous spices from Carl, known as the Rastafarian Spice Man who lives in a hut on the road to Fern Gully. Then we had a lobster lunch at Lobster Dave's at Fisherman’s Beach, where you can choose your lunch from the catch of the day and have it prepared on the spot. Lobster Dave himself prepared our meal (after some bartering down to $10 pp), he cooked up lobster, fried plantains and breadfruit and conch. It was quite good. Then Javier found someone to hook us up with waverunners (they picked us up right at Fisherman's Beach) and my 15 yr old son even got to ride alone since he was experienced. We headed to a mountaintop for some great photos, then dropped in an elementary school (Pineapple Place) to take pictures with the children, who love to see their photo on your digital camera. We brought some gifts for the children and the principal was SO appreciative (she said they need school supplies and learning/assembly games like Legos the most). Javier knows everyone so we were not bothered by anyone and he made a point to take care of us. He stopped frequently to show us interesting things like the local car wash (a river) and picked up my camera many times to get pics of me with my boys. Marva checked in by phone to see that all was well during our day, and Javier went out of his way to ensure we were having a good time. This day was so much better than we expected - what we saw and our personal safety was easily the best $35/pp spent during our vacation.

Just returned from Ocho Rios and I would suggest hiring a personal guide for the day which is your safest bet for a relaxing day. No one will bother you if you are traveling with a respected local. Here's my review:

JAMAICA PORT: 1st time here and we booked a guide for the day which was our best decision. Marva Shaw of knowjamaica.com is reputable and spoken of in many reviews - her son, Javier, did a fabulous job of providing very personal service. I requested specific cultural experiences and that's exactly what we got. We escaped the crowds at Dunns and went where the locals go to Hidden Falls where you can explore on your own. We stopped at a roadside vendor and sampled sugar cane, breadfruit, jackfruit and coconut. We learned about the indigenous spices from Carl, known as the Rastafarian Spice Man who lives in a hut on the road to Fern Gully. Then we had a lobster lunch at Lobster Dave's at Fisherman’s Beach, where you can choose your lunch from the catch of the day and have it prepared on the spot. Lobster Dave himself prepared our meal (after some bartering down to $10 pp), he cooked up lobster, fried plantains and breadfruit and conch. It was quite good. Then Javier found someone to hook us up with waverunners (they picked us up right at Fisherman's Beach) and my 15 yr old son even got to ride alone since he was experienced. We headed to a mountaintop for some great photos, then dropped in an elementary school (Pineapple Place) to take pictures with the children, who love to see their photo on your digital camera. We brought some gifts for the children and the principal was SO appreciative (she said they need school supplies and learning/assembly games like Legos the most). Javier knows everyone so we were not bothered by anyone and he made a point to take care of us. He stopped frequently to show us interesting things like the local car wash (a river) and picked up my camera many times to get pics of me with my boys. Marva checked in by phone to see that all was well during our day, and Javier went out of his way to ensure we were having a good time. This day was so much better than we expected - what we saw and our personal safety was easily the best $35/pp spent during our vacation.

So you booked this guide on your own and not through the cruiseline? I ask because my mom and I will be sailing in less than two weeks and this is one of our ports of call. My mom is very skeptical about this stop having heard so many bad things. Would you suggest this same excursion for two females or would it be better if we atleast had a male with us?

Archived