Luggage shipping

Lsb58

Has anyone used FedEx or another shipping company to ship their luggage instead of trusting the airline? Despite the advice on these boards not to overpack, I know my bag might be heavier than 50lbs. We will be staying in Victoria for a few days prior to the cruise and I would like to have my luggage shipped directly to the Empress. I've read mixed reviews in my online search about glitches occuring with the shippers and the hotels. Anyone have any experience or advice (besides the obvious advice of packing light:D)?

I've been shipping boxes of ski stuff from Florida to Montana via UPS for 5 years now. Some years I've shipped directly to my rental house, other years I've shipped to the main lodge (hotel for lack of better word) of the resort with no issues.

When I've sent to the hotel directly, I always make sure I get the name of the person who handles the deliveries and place their name and/or dept. on the box with the address. I also track the package and call to confirm arrival.

The best advice is always call before you send something and find out of the hotel will even accept guest packages. Although very rare, some won't due to security. I'm sorry I can't comment on sending a package direct to a ship or a port. I'd go with Orpington's suggestion and use Luggage (not so) Free for that.

Yes, it can be expensive, but worth every penny.

I do suggest that you make a log of what you pack since they'll probably need a so for shipping. I didn't last time and ended up with some definite mismatches.

Yes, it can be expensive, but worth every penny.

I do suggest that you make a log of what you pack since they'll probably need a so for shipping. I didn't last time and ended up with some definite mismatches.

Joanne, what do you mean by mismatches?

thanks for the information,

jj

We used Luggage Free on our Baltic cruise and I can report how very happy we were with them.

We made a copy of the list of contents of both suitcases, at the request of LF, gave them about two weeks notice and were at home when someone came to pick them up. We were in email contact with someone at LF who was reassuring about everything working out. I received an email when the bags arrived in Stockholm. When we boarded the ship, there were the two bags sitting on the bed ready for unpacking!

A good thing about the lists is that it helps you remember what you shipped ahead so that your hand carried luggage contains only what you need for the few days prior to embarkation.

I believe it cost us about $800.00 for both bags. We did not ship anything home. I feel it was well worth it as we had three flights, closely timed between San Diego and Stockholm and it may not have worked if we had to deal with checked luggage.

basedow

Basedow

Archived