Sad

houchin

Houchin; What was it about Paradise Beach that you thought was so great? We were in Cozumel a couple of years ago and went to Playa Del Sol beach. I heard they have renamed it since? Is it now Paradise Beach? We will have a bunch of high school seniors with us, what do you think? Muchas Gracias!

houchin, have you been there before the devastating hurricane tore apart the island?

Seven mile beach is one of the most beautiful beaches. You have to remember that the hurrican sat over the island for four hours and caused extreme damage to the beautiful island. The island has been closed to tourists for months, and just recently opened.

I think your opinion of it "sucked" is a little too harsh.

I'm glad I don't run a cruise company....people were very sad / unhappy / mad to have Grand Cayman cancelled.... but unhappy to go if it isn't looking good?

I just returned from a cruise with a GC port... I agree, it does not look great there... the sad thing to me was just how much damage there was. And apparently George Town / Seven Mile Beach is less damaged than other areas of the island. I found it humbling to see first hand how much damage a hurricane can cause.... however, I don't live in a hurricane zone... it was a learning experience for me.

I agree with Houchin about both Paradise Beach in Cozumel and the current state of things in Grand Cayman.

PB is amazing. Pristine beach, free chairs and umbrellas and unlimited use of all water toys (kayaks, floats, snorkel gear, water trampoline, etc) for $5.00 per day. The bathrooms were spotless (which I've never seen on any beach in any country), the food was great, drinks were strong, service fantastic, and not too crowded but definitely enought people to make it fun. I can't wait to go back. By the way, it's a brand new (13 months) restaurant, bar and beach area (well, the beach itself obviously isn't new :rolleyes:) for the person who wanted to know if it used to be called something else.

As for GC, I agree that it was sad. I've been there a few times before and always thought it was the most beautiful place on earth. I lived in Miami when Hurricane Andrew hit in 1992, and GC looks very much like my neighborhood and the rest of greater Miami did for literally several years after Andrew. They have a lot of rebuilding to do, but trees grow back and buildings get new roofs and paint. Eventually, it will be just as beautiful as before. For now, I'm glad to have gone but really feel badly for the residents at this point. And 7-mile beach is not as nice as PB in Cozumel, hurricane or not.

Sad that GC was nailed by Ivan. Happy that the pace at which they are recovering is nothing less than miraculous.

Happy that the ship I was on was one of the few ships allowed back in the first couple of weeks in November.

Happy that PB is in Cozumel and not GC.

Happy that the diving and snorkeling, hurricane or not, is better in GC.

Sad that the PB pollution that exists in excess on the Cozumel board has overflowed into the GC board.

Sad that the PB pollution that exists in excess on the Cozumel board has overflowed into the GC board.

What do you mean by that? (I want your honest thoughts, I am not flaming) We are beginning to plan our excursions.....did you not like PB? Why? It does seem to be "the place" now in Cozumel......

What do you mean by that? (I want your honest thoughts, I am not flaming) We are beginning to plan our excursions.....did you not like PB? Why? It does seem to be "the place" now in Cozumel......

It is very popular. I did not mean it is a bad place, although I like Nachi-Cocom in Cozumel. I would prefer for attractions to be discussed in the appropriate forum. Something in Cozumel should be discussed under the Cozumel board.

The "pollution" I refer to is, in my opinion, an overdose of posts on PB in the Cozumel board, not that there is anything wrong with PB.

I like Cozumel for what it is and Grand Cayman for what it is and am glad that they are different. To compare PB and 7 mile beach makes no sense.

Zydecocruiser: I agree that the Cozumel board has virtuallly become an advertisement for Paradise Beach, and there is a lot more to do there than that. But people are posting the positive reviews because there is a lot to be positive about! It was brought up on this board and the question was asked what was so great about it, so I responded.

I've been to both Cozumel and GC more than once, and used to think GC was the most beautiful place on earth. It probably will be once again...vegetation grows back and buildings can be repaired. But to say that to compare the two places (7-mile in GC and PB in Cozume) doesn't make any sense....well...doesn't make any sense. They are both beautiful beaches in beautiful places, but unless you're going to snorkel or dive the attraction to the beach is very much the same. Given that, my opinion is that PB is the better beach, hands down, and I've been to both (7-mile before and after Ivan).

I still love GC for what lies beneath the ocean, and no hurricane has changed that. I'm not trashing the place, but "facts is facts". (And I'm not talking about opinion here....the island is in really, really bad shape).

Having just got back (Dec 18) from a cruise that went to Grand Cayman, I am amazed that some people think it is in "really bad shape". Quite frankly I was astonished that considering the fact that the island had been recently through a major hurricane, it was in as good shape as it was. Yes the palm trees and other vegetation look sad (but they will grow back). Yes there are plenty of buildings under repair but the point is - they are being repaired. Businesses are open by the pier and as for 7 mile beach - except for damage to vegetation - it looked fine to me - the sand is still soft and white, the ocean is still blue and clear and some of the beach clubs and bars and hotels have re-opened. For 'really bad shape' - consider poor Grenada were NINETY PERCENT of the houses were damaged, where the spice crops and fields and rain forest were decimated. Yet I would still not hesitate to go to Grenada - I know Grand Anse beach will still have lovely water and soft beautiful sand. It is after such disaster that tourist dollars are desperately needed to help people rebuild their businesses and lives. I am amazed that anyone would compare an island that has survived major hurricane to one that has not (Cozumel).

Zeno, thank you very much for your words and consideration. You are exactly right.

I'm saddened every day when I look around Grenada and see all the destruction that Ivan wreacked on my beautiful home, but things are returning to normal and the vegetation is growing back. Grand Anse is pretty much like you described - white sand and blue water, with many of the trees torn down or stripped bare. I've posted some pics in the Caribbean Other forum

But, like you said, it will all grow back. Eventually...

I did some research and found out that Playa Sol beach is now Playa Mia in cozumel and boy does it get bad reviews. We are traveling with a 7 year old, 14 year old and a 17 year old and her friends. If you would be so kind as to tell me if the Nachi Cocum bear or PB would be better for us all. I like the idea of a pool when the beach gets too hot, but PB sounds so inviting. Thanks!

We love Grand Cayman and will still love the island regardless of what kind of shape it is in. We will make the best of it there and give thanks that we don't live in a hurricane zone. I am always in awe of God's creation no matter where we go!

I did some research and found out that Playa Sol beach is now Playa Mia in cozumel and boy does it get bad reviews. We are traveling with a 7 year old, 14 year old and a 17 year old and her friends. If you would be so kind as to tell me if the Nachi Cocum bear or PB would be better for us all. I like the idea of a pool when the beach gets too hot, but PB sounds so inviting. Thanks!

We love Grand Cayman and will still love the island regardless of what kind of shape it is in. We will make the best of it there and give thanks that we don't live in a hurricane zone. I am always in awe of God's creation no matter where we go!

Now is actually a great time to visit Grand Cayman - less crowded.

For the Cozumel question, I responded to your question in the Cozumel board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=112184

Hope this helps!

Ditto for Fiddlemama.

Lots of stuff on Chank over there, too. There is an admission fee, the beach is manmade, but the snorkeling is better than any "beach" snorkeling that you are going to find around pb, nachi, etc.

Cayman Islands Hurricane Relief Fund:

You can wire the money to First Caribbean International Bank account #10032522.

Cayman Islands Chamber of Commerce

PO Box 1000 GT, Cayman Islands

Phone: (345) 949-8090

Fax: (345) 949-0220

Email: info@caymanchamber.ky

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit our official website: http://www.caymanchamber.ky

I have been to GC several times and last November was our first time to 7 mile beach. We absolutley loved it!! The sand was so perfect, thanks to Ivan!! We were at Sea Grapes -arrived early enough to rent the chairs and umbrellas and stayed as along as we could. We loved being able to dig our toes deep into the sand while we were out swimming (did pick up a roof shingle though!)..

We have also been to PB twice. The first time was right after it had been opened about 4 months and yes.. it was nice. BUT VERY CROWDED BECAUSE OF THE # OF CRUIS SHIPS IN PORT THAT DAY!!! I had met PB Tom "on-line" and then met him in person. We ordered drinks and nachos and they were "okay" but I wouldn't use the food as a selling point. The second time I took my 2 office assistants with me on a girl's trip to Coz (Memorial Day Weekend this year) and we rented a jeep and I took them there. It was on a Sunday and NO SHIPS were in port and the beach was deserted!! We enjoyed ourselves (not much staff around) but in my opinion, the actual beach and caribbean color water was much more beautiful in GC.. and I am a big COZ fan!!

Hope this helps!

Archived