Artemis to the Amazon

gussie54

A friend and I have signed up to take the Artemis out of Barbados January 9th, 2010. This is the first time I've been on a P&O cruise. Is it that different from HAL or Cunard? Just how fancy are the formal nights? What about shore excursions along the Amazon?:confused:

Thanks for any info.

Sounds as if we might be Shipmates in Jan 2010.We have been on Artemis once before Southampton to the US.We had a great time Excellent entertainment,good food and service Cabins a little Compact but OK.I think it is fair to say that Artemis is for the Traditional Cruiser who looks forward to Formal Nights.It is a Favourite of the Older [?] P&O clientele.But you should bear in mind that she is showing her age so do not expect Ice Rinks big spectacular theatres etc .To give you some idea of the type of Passenger when we were on board in 2007 out of the 1200 or so on board 380 were Gold Members of P&O's Portunus Club [us included].

Artemis will grow on you there is that something about her.See you up the Amazon !!!;)

We sailed on her four times, as Royal Princess, while she was flagship of the Princess fleet.

She remains one of my favorite ships.

She is a handy size, and a very good rider should you encounter heavy seas.

Artemis is my favourite in the P&O fleet. P&O are not quite up to Cunard standards but I have always been happy with the service on board. The food is more geared to British tastes but very good, although what is served will vary depending on which exec. chef you get. My favourite is Andy Yuill. Artemis is an adult-only ship, and with the longer cruises the average does go up. You will see a variety of outfits on formal nights but they are generally well adhered too.

I have a lot of photos of Artemis here if you are interested.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sharonp40/CruiseShipsArtemis#

I've contacted several places to obtain a one or two night stay in Barbados as we have to arrive the day before. It seems since it will be high season in January they want a minimum of 5 days most places. Has anyone else had this problems? I have found 2 guest houses but I'd really like some input.

Archived