Adult Snorkle Beginners ? on Excursions

theos on the go

We are a family of four and decided to try snorkling. Unfortunately, we do not have time to try this in a swimming pool. What snorkle excursion would you recommend for beginning adults ages range from 46 yrs - 18 yrs. Just okay swimmers. We are going on the Carnival Elation and probably will go with an excursion through the ship. (Nervous about missing the boat).

Any advise would greatly be appreciated.

First of all, you'll have a great time snorkeling even though you've never done it before. I bought a mask and snorkel for my 11 year old daughter (who is not a great swimmer) so she could practice at the local pool. She took right off with no problem. I admit that I was surprised.

Secondly, don't shy away from doing a private snorkeling excursion. If you read these boards you'll figure out who you can go with. I was a leary before our first cruise, but I did my homework and we had no problems at all.

Here are a few reasons why you should do a private excursion.

1. You'll save money! Private excursions are generally about a third less in cost compared to the ship's excursions.

2. You'll be in a smaller group. The ship packs as many people as possible onto a boat.

3. The personal touch. The tour guides will give you a great deal of help and answer any questions you might have. I'm sure they will set you at ease as you explore this new sport.

4. You'll see more! Let's face it, larger groups take longer to get everyone on and off the boat.

No matter what you decide I believe you'll have fun. The water is so clear in the Caribbean that you'll swear you're swimming in an aquarium!

Have fun!

The first time I went snorkeling was from the beach. We were given some snorkel equipment by a friend who gave us no instruction. I walked into the water, put my face in, took a couple of trial breaths to get the hang of it and was off. I don't know what it would be like in deep water for a first time, but at least you would get some instruction. It just seems fairly basic and easy to me. Enjoy!

If you buy your own mask and snorkel or you can rent them on the ship you can practice in the pool on board. It is easier to learn when the water is shallow enough for you to stand. If you can snorkel from the beach for the first time it will be easier. I have never been on a snorkeling excursion when they did not provide as much instruction as you need so I wouldn't worry about it. Give it a try - you'll love it! I hope this helps!

My mother-in-law (age71) has snorkeled once before and she was VERY scared and timid about trying again. We booked the Goff's Caye Snorkel on Carnival's Elation so that she could enjoy the beach if she didn't want to snorkel. The boat (which wasn't crowded at all) dropped off the people on the beach who didn't want to snorkel off the boat. (We snorkeled off the boat while she was on shore) Once on shore, she said a very nice, very patient guide helped a small group of novice snorkelers to use their masks and snorkels in shallow water and then led them around the reefs near the island. She snorkeled for 45 minutes and loved it! She said the guide was very nice and very helpful.

Everyone,

Thank you for all your advice on snorkling. We feel much better about the whole thing. It sounds like a lot of fun. We did end up purchasing a set (without fins) so we can get use to the gear.

We look forward to trying the underwater experience!

Thanks again!

Archived