Tulum or Tulum/Xel-Ha??

Should we book the Tulum excursion or the Tulum/Xel-Ha combination on our May 30 Rhapsody cruise?

Eager to hear the pros and cons of each. I remember reading that Xel-Ha is wonderful, but the combination tour really gives you no time to enjoy either site.

Wanting to hear opinions from people who have done both.

We did the Xel-Ha and Tulum excursion, when we were in cancun and not on a cruise. It is very time limiting to do both because they are both great places. You could spend all day at Xel-Ha it is awesome, the lazy river, snorkeling, dolphin swimming, hammocks to rest in, bars, eating, neat trails to walk etc... Tulum has less to offer but is historically neat and has very pretty views and beaches. I would suggest to just do one or you will feel short changed. The second time we went to cancun we did Xel-ha all day and dropped the Tulum. Not that Tulum isn't great but I only needed to go there once. Hope this helps.

Lisa B.

Can't wait to start cruising!

I have done the combo trip. There was more than enough time at Tulum and not near enough at Xel-ha. I would recomend though that you do the combo. Tulum is WELL worth seeing. If you find Xel-ha as great as I did, you will want to go back some day and spend more time and already know a little bit about it because of the trip. It is a shame that they do NOT offer a trip just to Xel-ha. I would do it in a heartbeat.

I wrestled with reality for years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state, I finally won out over it. (Harvey 1950)

Roll call Serenade of the Seas July 25th Click here

I did the combo and didn't fell rushed. First of all Tulum is not that big and there was enought time. Xel-Ha is awesome and if its a choice between Tulum itself and the combo, definately do the combo. I had never been to ancient ruins before so I felt I would have miss something so historic if it were only to Xel-Ha. If you've seen ruins of any kind before then you might want to do Xel-Ha full day. Tulum didn't impress me as much as I thought it would. I don't think you could spend more than a couple hours there.

I recently did the combo and felt very rushed. If you are traveling with kids, definitely do just Xel-Ha. Tulum was very nice to have seen, but Xel-Ha is definitely an all day excursion in itself. I was very dissapointed with the amount of time left for Xel-Ha.

And don't forget your tipping money.!! They expect it.

Wow! I haven't been to Cancun since the mid '80's when I was a teenager and I remember going to both of these places. I thought Tulum was very unique in that I had never seen any Miyan ruins on the coast before. The coastal backdrop made it beautiful. I think it's a must see (at least once in your lifetime). And Xel-Ha? What can I say? It sounds a lot better now than it was some 20ish years ago, but even then it was so beautiful and such a fun place to go. If I ever make it back there, I would definately go back to Xel-Ha.

I don't know if I helped you make a decision or not, but I just loved reliving the memories.

Thanks! icon_wink.gif

ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS - CARRIBEAN

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;08;22;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Vision of the Seas 9/19/03-Alaska

Vision of the Seas 5/11/03- Mexican Riviera

Just curious, how do you pronounce Xel-Ha?

How far are the two places from each other?

dolphin.gif

Ecstasy 1996, Fantasy 1997,1998,1999, Imagination 2000, Sovereign 2001, Fantasy 2002, Monarch 2003, Serenade 2004

Shell ha was how everyone was saying it. we did the combo and felt rushed. Do one and enjoy. Xel-ha is on the way to Tulum. I don't know how far but it took a long time.

Rick R.

Archived