Grand Cayman Earthquake

Princess Chatterer

An earthquake hit very near Grand Cayman on Tuesday, December 14 at 6:20 p.m. Several cruise ships would have been sailing nearby at the time of the earthquake. So far I haven't heard if cruise ships or cruises were impacted.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Quakes/ussadb.htm

"A strong earthquake struck the Cayman Islands on Tuesday -- the strongest since 1900 -- rattling windows and sending residents fleeing into the streets. No serious damage or injuries were reported. "

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/12/14/international2035EST0733.DTL

"It was also one of several to strike the region in recent weeks, but Gohn said the tremors were unrelated. Activity in the Caribbean, however, had been high, she said.

A tremor with a magnitude of 5.7 jolted the British Virgin Islands, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico on Saturday. No injuries were reported and there was little damage.

Another earthquake with a magnitude of 5.4, however, caused at least 90 aftershocks Dec. 3 in Trinidad, leaving at least one woman dead and damaging several buildings and houses.

Last month, a 6.3-magnitude earthquake in the Caribbean island of Dominica caused an estimated $25 million Cdn worth of damages."

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1103084089413_148/?hub=World

I was on the Grandeur of the Sea as we were leaving the Grand Caymans. The ship was really rocking and rolling. It seemed as though the ship was "shuddering". The crew did not know what was happening, so we were somewhat concerned. The next morning, the Captain came over the pa system to say that there had been an earthquake. We were just about on top of the epicenter when it happened. What an experience!!

I was on the Carnival Miracle and I was at dinner when it happened. The ship bumped along. It felt like we were dragging along the bottom of the ocean or something. Everyone was talking about it and wondering what had happened. I only learned it was a earthquake from speaking to an officer in the breakfast buffet line as nothing was ever said about it over the ships pa.

We arrived at Grand Cayman the next day on the Triumph. A few local people we met mentioned it but it seems to have been a fairly minor event compared to the hurricane. The hurricane damage was still evident everywhere. People are still working on repairing roofs even now. We saw complete forests levelled and several buildings with just crumbled walls. many hotels are still closed but the beach is as beautiful as ever and the tourist facilities for cruise arrivals are all in place.

Archived