if you were to mix a drink in your cabin.....

rowlady

using a bar setup ordered ahead of time -no smuggling here :) what would be the best type of alcohol to choose in order to mix with whatever might be free at the buffet or in the restaurants? I have read that iced tea is easily available all day but don't know what type of alcohol would mix well with that - or what alcohol would mix best with the free juices they offer. We are leaving from Southampton and am not sure we can stop to purchase soda before we get to the port. The cost of the bottle is high enough so I really don't also want to pay for the mixers! We will be on the Jade and would love any suggestions..............

Thanks,

Debbie

Debbie... What I recommend is that if you normally drink something that you mix with soda, when you arrive at the airport , grab a couple of big bottles of soda there and carry them on the ship with you. Get them while you are waiting on your luggage. Get enough that you feel would last you until your first port of call, where you could grab a six pack, etc. That is just my suggestion. Of course for me, I only drink vodka martinis, and the dirtier the better. I am ok with either Grey Goose, Sky or Absolute.. 8-)

Someone asked about olives. If you are anything like me and would HATE to have to go some where to get them every time you wanted a drink, I have actually seen olives in a vacuum pack at the grocery store I go to, Market Street. I don't know if they have them all the time as I just glanced at them and did not really check them out. But for me, I would have no problem packing them in my luggage if it meant me not having to track them down every time I wanted a drink.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. You asked what I normally drink and the answer is I prefer flavored martini's if I had my choice. I do not want to bring a shaker with me or a flavored mix so that is out. I think the Absolute is the way to go - it seems to mix with most free juices on the buffet. We fly into London one day early and will look for a place to purchase soda to bring onboard with us. Do those who have brought soda with them usually just carry it in their arms while waiting through the entire check in process - seems kind of heavy and awkward but probably worth it??

Again - thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

Juices are available in the buffet at breakfast. What I did last year on the gem was when I finished breakfast I would grab two cranberry juices and put them in the fridge in my room. You can mix any vodkas, rums, cordials in there. I usually did malibu

If only the bar set up menu included Malibu. :(

If only the bar set up menu included Malibu. :(

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that request... well, I'm sure I'd be ahead a few bucks anyway... ;)

But let's just say.. It's A LOT!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. You asked what I normally drink and the answer is I prefer flavored martini's if I had my choice. I do not want to bring a shaker with me or a flavored mix so that is out. I think the Absolute is the way to go - it seems to mix with most free juices on the buffet. We fly into London one day early and will look for a place to purchase soda to bring onboard with us. Do those who have brought soda with them usually just carry it in their arms while waiting through the entire check in process - seems kind of heavy and awkward but probably worth it??

rowlady ~ I suggest you affix one of your luggage tags to a case of your pop and check it. It'll show up in your cabin, no problem.

You didn't ask, but wine would be the only beverage I'd carry on.

Save your back!! :)

I agree with all that has been said, but would just add, that to purchase a couple bottles of mixers does not cost that much. We did what others here mentioned--had vodka and mixed with a variety of the juices and fresh fruit that we were able to get on board--but vodka tonic is my favorite drink so we ordered I think two bottles of tonic. Maybe $3 a piece. Worth it--got probably 6-9 drinks out of those two bottles.

cheers

yoyocruiser

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that request... well, I'm sure I'd be ahead a few bucks anyway... ;)

But let's just say.. It's A LOT!

Wink, I didn't realize you were the official "complaints about the bar set up menu" department. ;) Or are all your bucks made with my complaints? :rolleyes: I know I've been on about it for a couple of months.

If you generally prefer flavoured martinis, then vodka (assuming they're vodka martinis) is a great choice for you. Keep in mind, also, that you can take juice on board with you just as easily as soda if you want to make sure you've always got some when you want some.

We always fly in at least a day ahead of any cruise because it takes us so long to get to a port, and since we travel in the winter, there's always a chance of weather delays. As a result, we've always got a night of access to our luggage, as you will have. I have a 'foldaway' carry on bag that I pack empty and then I put the sodas, water, etc. that we pick up into that and tag it. The worst that will happen is that they will want to verify that there are no alcoholic beverages in the case and you'll have to go pick it up in the naughty room. (we've never had to)

You're thinking as we often do. We'll often buy juices/punch concentrates in a port (cheap this way), if there's something we want not available on board, and mix them up in an el cheapo plastic pitcher and leave them in the fridge. Sometimes we'll even bring a pitcher from home & throw it in our baggage (doesn't take up space-we'll put stuff inside of it)

Now comes the tricky part (that we sometimes have trouble with). Even though it's part of a bar setup, how appropriate is it to mix drinks in our cabin and bring them out to other parts of the ship?

using a bar setup ordered ahead of time -no smuggling here :) what would be the best type of alcohol to choose in order to mix with whatever might be free at the buffet or in the restaurants? I have read that iced tea is easily available all day but don't know what type of alcohol would mix well with that - or what alcohol would mix best with the free juices they offer. We are leaving from Southampton and am not sure we can stop to purchase soda before we get to the port. The cost of the bottle is high enough so I really don't also want to pay for the mixers! We will be on the Jade and would love any suggestions..............

Thanks,

Debbie

You're thinking as we often do. We'll often buy juices/punch concentrates in a port (cheap this way), if there's something we want not available on board, and mix them up in an el cheapo plastic pitcher and leave them in the fridge. Sometimes we'll even bring a pitcher from home & throw it in our baggage (doesn't take up space-we'll put stuff inside of it)

Now comes the tricky part (that we sometimes have trouble with). Even though it's part of a bar setup, how appropriate is it to mix drinks in our cabin and bring them out to other parts of the ship?

Monte, I have yet to have my first bar set up but I can't see where that would be any problem. How can anyone tell where the glass came from once you're out and about? But I'll be anxious to hear if anyone says there is a rule about it. We plan to mix up cocktails in a big plastic mug and take them out to the pool deck - save $ on pina coladas.

Thanks mooder-I see so many 'smuggling' threads I guess they've made me self conscious

Monte, I have yet to have my first bar set up but I can't see where that would be any problem. How can anyone tell where the glass came from once you're out and about? But I'll be anxious to hear if anyone says there is a rule about it. We plan to mix up cocktails in a big plastic mug and take them out to the pool deck - save $ on pina coladas.

I agree with all that has been said, but would just add, that to purchase a couple bottles of mixers does not cost that much. We did what others here mentioned--had vodka and mixed with a variety of the juices and fresh fruit that we were able to get on board--but vodka tonic is my favorite drink so we ordered I think two bottles of tonic. Maybe $3 a piece. Worth it--got probably 6-9 drinks out of those two bottles.

cheers

yoyocruiser

That's good to know! Where did you order? Room Service?

Monte, Monte, Monte.... tsk tsk tsk... If you pay for your bar setup.. and we all know that it pretty much cost you the price of a kidney.. You can damn well take your drink any damn place you wanna.

I hope I didn't confuse you by mincing words.

This thread started me looking for powdered mix drinks. We have a bar set up in Aug and found some margarita and daiquiri powder mixes from baja bobs.

Which led me to find powdered alcohol.... a whole other subject.

This thread started me looking for powdered mix drinks. We have a bar set up in Aug and found some margarita and daiquiri powder mixes from baja bobs.

Which led me to find powdered alcohol.... a whole other subject.

Ummm... Huh? Powdered alcohol you say? Do tell...

I knew this would happen..... dont want to thread jack here but:

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Dutch students have developed powdered alcohol which they say can be sold legally to minors.

The latest innovation in inebriation, called Booz2Go, is available in 20-gramme packets that cost 1-1.5 euros ($1.35-$2).

Top it up with water and you have a bubbly, lime-colored and -flavored drink with just 3 percent alcohol content.

Google it for more info but it is not available in the US anymore. One company was importing it but has now stop.

Thought it was pretty interesting, would be great for cruisers

I knew this would happen..... dont want to thread jack here but:

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Dutch students have developed powdered alcohol which they say can be sold legally to minors.

The latest innovation in inebriation, called Booz2Go, is available in 20-gramme packets that cost 1-1.5 euros ($1.35-$2).

Top it up with water and you have a bubbly, lime-colored and -flavored drink with just 3 percent alcohol content.

Google it for more info but it is not available in the US anymore. One company was importing it but has now stop.

Thought it was pretty interesting, would be great for cruisers

Indeed. Thanks.

Hey.. I grew up drinking Kansas beer.. that was 3% too.. LOL

(but we'd just cross the state line to MO and get the 5.0 stuff... suckers) ;)

We used to call that near beer , Im guessing you had a colorful name for that "stuff" ..;)

Did the vacuum packed olives have enough "juice" to make dirty martinis?

Honestly, Ms. Belp, as dirty as I like a martini, I doubt they would have enough for me, but some people just like an olive in theirs but with none of the olive juice. I did not stop and look at them that well, so they may have had a bit of juice, I just didn't look that closely.. 8-)

Haven't sailed with NCL in about 5 years. I looked on their web site and did see the wine list but nothing about bar set ups. Do I have to call and ask about that or did I miss something on the web site. Also does anyone know if NCL offers buckets of beer, say 5 for the price of 4, like other cruise lines do?

Archived