Herculaneum, Sorrento & Amalfi advice

Hi..I will be in Naples 7a-7p...I want to go to Herculaneum, Sorrento and the Amalfi coast . What order should these be done in and how do I do it using public trains/buses/ferries..the other option is using a private driver, but I think the public transpo option will be MUCH cheaper.

Chris

Yes, public transport will be much cheaper to the tune of hundreds of dollars. But, as I have posted many times, decent public transportation along the Amalfi Coast is time consuming and can be a problem if one spends a lot of time in other parts of the region. To do your excursion using public transit, get your self to the Naples train station ASAP (by local bus, taxi, or even walking). Than take the Circumvesuviania Line train (you want to the line that runs from Naples to Sorrento) to the Ercolano Scavi stop from which you can walk over to the ruins at Herculanium. Than continue on this same line to Sorrento (the train time from Naples to Sorrento is about 1 hour) where you can catch the SITA Bus line that runs between Sorrento (it starts at the train station) to Amalfi (with many stops along the way including Positano). That bus can be very crowded during the summer months, but it does give you the cheapest option to explore the Amalfi Coast. One advantage of the public bus is that you can get down into Positano, whereas tour buses are not permitted to enter the only street that goes through Positano (folks on the tour have to be content with looking at the city from the road above).

Hank

We visit last year Herculaneum, it's very easy by public transportation.

If you get off the port just across the street is a small kiosk where you can buy your tickets for a few euro ask him for information he is very friendly to tell you everything you need to know, opposit the kiosk you take the bus to the main railroad station from where you can go to Herculaneum. It's very easy to do and travel time is short, I belief it was about 30 min. after you leave the train it's just walk staight on the road about 10 min. They also have a virtual museum which is very beautiful to see and stay on the right side of the street 200 hundred meter before Herculaneum.

Our pictures of Herculaneum you can see on my webblog under Norwegian cruise line - Norwegian Gem

Yes, public transport will be much cheaper to the tune of hundreds of dollars. But, as I have posted many times, decent public transportation along the Amalfi Coast is time consuming and can be a problem if one spends a lot of time in other parts of the region. To do your excursion using public transit, get your self to the Naples train station ASAP (by local bus, taxi, or even walking). Than take the Circumvesuviania Line train (you want to the line that runs from Naples to Sorrento) to the Ercolano Scavi stop from which you can walk over to the ruins at Herculanium. Than continue on this same line to Sorrento (the train time from Naples to Sorrento is about 1 hour) where you can catch the SITA Bus line that runs between Sorrento (it starts at the train station) to Amalfi (with many stops along the way including Positano). That bus can be very crowded during the summer months, but it does give you the cheapest option to explore the Amalfi Coast. One advantage of the public bus is that you can get down into Positano, whereas tour buses are not permitted to enter the only street that goes through Positano (folks on the tour have to be content with looking at the city from the road above).

Hank

We would like to do a private tour of the Amalfi coast and cannot decide which tour company to use. Have you heard of DiSarno Carservice. http://www.disarnocarservice.com/

Do you have any recommendation for a dependable and reasonable company? there are 4 of us in the group

We would like to do a private tour of the Amalfi coast and cannot decide which tour company to use. Have you heard of DiSarno Carservice. http://www.disarnocarservice.com/

Do you have any recommendation for a dependable and reasonable company? there are 4 of us in the group

I am the last one to ask about tour companies since we seldom use any tour (public or private). But, there are many here who can give you some help. You should also post this request on the "Roll Call" board for your particular cruise.

Hank

We can highly recommend DriveAmalfi. We used them last year for a tour of Pompeii, Herculaneum and Naples and they were great. We are planning on using them next year for a tour of the Amalfi Coast, which is where they shine the best.

Last May we used TourofItaly.com. Giovanni was excellent.We first stopped at Ercolona HERCULANEUM then went to Sorrento then drove the Amalfi coast to Postiano. We didn't make it all te way to Amalfi because there was a parade and we had to get back to the ship. Giovanni took us to a fantastic resturant over looking sorrento it wwas truly wonderful the view and the food was outstanding. He was very informative and we had many laughs with me. I never get a guide but this time it extremely important because all we wanted to do and the time we had to do it. I would do it exactly the same way again next time. many tour companies wanted to drive the Amalfi coast first then end at HERCULANEUM but it was hot in the afternoon I am so glad we did it my way.

Archived