Just off Valor from the Land of "Why Not"

bradleyd

A veteran Diamond member at Royal Caribbean, I must say I had some real trepidation about cruising with Carnival. The itinerary looked good and it sailed just one hour from my home so I figured, why not? As it turned out it was wonderful. The food was much better than any of my 11 sailings with Royal Caribbean, the service better than almost all but one cruise, and a great time was had by my whole family of four, all at a lower price. So impressed am I that I am going to be changing some of my scheduled sailings with Royal over to Carnival. I never thought I would do such a thing. Carnival is worth another look. At least the Valor. Simply a great experience.

A veteran Diamond member at Royal Caribbean, I must say I had some real trepidation about cruising with Carnival. The itinerary looked good and it sailed just one hour from my home so I figured, why not? As it turned out it was wonderful. The food was much better than any of my 11 sailings with Royal Caribbean, the service better than almost all but one cruise, and a great time was had by my whole family of four, all at a lower price. So impressed am I that I am going to be changing some of my scheduled sailings with Royal over to Carnival. I never thought I would do such a thing. Carnival is worth another look. At least the Valor. Simply a great experience.

Thanks for your review and comparison. 2 of our favorite Carnival cruises were on the Valor and the Legend. :)

Ms B

I am glad to hear you can save money and find Carinval does provide an equally good and better product!

I would recommend a cruise that sails to Half Moon Cay. It is their private island and has been consistently rated #1 private island. It is sheer paradise, so much so I really didn't want to leave!!!

You're not the first to be pleasantly surprised by Carnival...moral of the story is don't believe everything you read (especially on Cruise Critic ;)) and you never know if you're going to like something until you try it yourself.

I'm happy you had such a great time :)

As it turned out it was wonderful. The food was much better than any of my 11 sailings with Royal Caribbean, the service better than almost all but one cruise, and a great time was had by my whole family of four, all at a lower price. So impressed am I that I am going to be changing some of my scheduled sailings with Royal over to Carnival. I never thought I would do such a thing. Carnival is worth another look.

SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Don't tell them! It's our little secret.

SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Don't tell them! It's our little secret.

You took the words right out of my mouth...I kinda of smile at all the CCL bashing as I just keep coming back for more fun for less money!;)

Our first cruise was on the Valor in 2007 - we went again (this time the Legend) in 2008, and are off on our 2nd cruise for 2009 in August. Unfortunately, with limited vacation, I can only cruise about once a year...but after retirement - lookout!

Glad to hear that you had such a great experience. I had a similar experience on my first Carnival cruise and can't wait to go on another. :)

Our 1st cruise was on RCI. We loved it. For it being the smaller ship of RC, it was wonderful.

We decided to try Carnival for the 2nd cruise. It was just as good, if not better in some aspects. I researched both cruise lines for our next cruise, Alaska! Carnival had that extra something in peoples reviews and the price was alot better! :D

Welcome to the dark side.:D

Glad you had such a good time! Spent 2 weeks on the Valor at the end of April and simply loved it and found it on par with my other Carnival sailings.

Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy your future cruises as much as this one.

Melissa

We sail both Princess and Carnival - for value, Carnival can't be beat! I prefer Princess, but have sailed Carnival 10 times and have another booked with Carnival on the Spirit for next Jan.

Glad you gave Carnival a try and had a great experience - there's always a place or an activity to meet anyone's interests.

Try the "Spirit " class ships next time - they're our personal favorite!

Looks like Carnival is listening... John Heald posted about this on his blog today (thanks to host mach). I'm really glad you had a great vacation! I've heard RCCL and Carnival are very similar and we have been toying with booking a RCCL cruise in the near future, but for the price and news of massive cutbacks on RCCL I think we will be sticking with Carnival for now (which is perfectly fine by me :D)!!! We have yet to have a bad experience with CCL, so why fix what isn't broken???

Here is the link to today's blog for those who are interested:

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/06/15/the-best-job-in-the-world/#more-9455

Archived