Tour at Sitka Historic Russian and Raptor

cocos

The kids will love the raptor center, they may be bored with the Russian America part. I would not do a formal tour, just walk around Sitka yourself, the Raptor Center is an easy walk or you can take a city shuttle for $10 for an all day pass. Make sure you also walk through Sitka Historical Park after the raptor center, it's beautiful, and the kids will also like it.

I booked this tour for hubby and I, but now I'm not sure.:confused:

I figure the pluses are: gets us onto a tender a lot quicker than not doing a ship organized excursion, includes transportation and admittance to the Raptor Center and the performance by the Arch Angel Dancers, and we'll learn some historical info. And it sounds like a good overview of a few other stops too. We don't need the St. Michael's entrance though, because we've got that included in another tour.

I've read so much about Sitka being totally do-able on our own, but this seems somehow simpler :o. And yet I'm not sure, as everyone here insists that Sitka is better done independently. :confused:

We are bringing a folding wheel chair for mom. Is it possible to do Sitka on our own as I'll be pushing Mom? How far is the Raptor Center from the pier? What else would be an easy access place to visit. Mom can walk short distances and climb a few steps.

We are bringing a folding wheel chair for mom. Is it possible to do Sitka on our own as I'll be pushing Mom? How far is the Raptor Center from the pier? What else would be an easy access place to visit. Mom can walk short distances and climb a few steps.

Here is a map of Sitka. It's approx. a mile to the Raptor Center where the tender dropped us off. There is a shuttle bus that you can get an all day pass for that makes stops all over the town at the major attractions if you would rather not walk. Everything else is easy access except for Castle Hill, which is a bit of a climb.

http://www.sitka.org/maps.html

We took this tour in Sitka and really liked it. I recommend it. We have been there twice, with it raining both times. To say walking all over Sitka is easy is rather subjective. It would be easy for me, but maybe not the next person. It's not a big place. As I recall, the road up to the Raptor Center (a must see) is inclined, and I think it was a rock road (it has been about 5 years or so, and I'm not positive). Additionally, the info you get from your tour guide can be rather interesting. The Russian dance show at the cultural center (right next to the tender dock) was fun. My avatar is from a picture I took of a crippled Bald Eagle at the Raptor Center. Have fun!

The wife and I took this tour and loved it. We also visted Totem park, which was also nice. We went in August so all the rivers were full of spawning salmon. That was realy interesting to see so many fish and we even saw a bear by Mendenhal glacer.

Have a graet trip.

Archived