Carnival Freedom Review 6/6/09 sailing...

kbaby0313

Hello everyone! I just got home from my first day back at work :( Always the worst! Anyways, I will try and finish up with the rest of the review tonight and also add some pictures!!

Talk to you later!

Hello everyone! I just got home from my first day back at work :( Always the worst! Anyways, I will try and finish up with the rest of the review tonight and also add some pictures!!

Talk to you later!

Waiting! :)

Can't wait for more information. Great review so far. We are leaving on 9/26/09 and want to know about the excurisons. I already booked the Panama City tour thru CCL. Does anyone know anything about this tour? Still waiting to book Costa Rica.

Hey travlngrl1996, I just wanted to say thank you. I have never posted pictures before. So I followed all of your directions and it worked! I tried it out on the test site (which I never knew existed). Then I posted in destinations for Jamaica. I had a good shot of me ziplining at Mystic Mountain. Thanks again! I'm really excited that it worked!

Kim :)

Hey kdoodle22,

I am so glad that I was able to help out.I am looking forward to reading your reviews with pics really soon LOL.

We played trivia, taboo, took some dance classes, and just made the best of it.

What type of dance classes did you take? Can you tell me when and where these were held? Only 18 days until our cruise on the Freedom and I think dance classes would be fun!

Kbaby, where are you? How dare you let life interfere with our rabid need for Freedom trip reviews!! :p You are doing a fantastic job so far, and I can't wait for pictures. I have about 130 days to wait for my turn on this itinerary, and it just can't go by fast enough! Keep up the good work!

I'm back! Sorry it has taken me so long, but you know how life can be. Anyways...on to Panama!

We did the "two oceans by railroad" excursion offered through Carnival. It was nice, kinda boring, but a nice experience. We had to meet in the Victoriana lounge at 7:45am and then we were taken as a group to a bus that drove us through the city of Colon to the train stations. There, we boarded a very nice, air conditioned train. It was about an hour train ride from the station on the Atlantic side to the Pacific side. Our tour guide, Luis, was very friendly and full of information. He made the train ride very enjoyable. There are two restrooms in each car of the train and they have drinks and snacks for purchase. After leaving the train, we loaded another bus that drove us to the Miraflores Locks of the Panama Canal. We were lucky enough to see a boat (a very small one) but a boat go through the canal. No one is out there explaining to you what is going on, you just sort of watch it on your own. We were given 1 hour at the Locks and then we had to return back to the bus, so we were lucky that within that 1 hour a boat came through. We heard that not everyone who takes this tour gets so lucky.

After leaving the Locks, we headed by bus back to the train and then we rode back in the train for 1 hour. On the way back was pretty boring. The tour guide tried to talk to us some more about Panama, but there is only so much he can say. We just enjoyed the scenery and relaxed.

I felt that this tour was very good and had a lot of information about Panama and the Canal. It was awesome to see, but I don't think i'd do it again just because it was boring, lol.

If anyone has any questions about this excursion, feel free to ask!

Arymay:

On the Freedom they had a 70's dance class, a country line dance class, and a ballroom dance class and saturday night fever dance class. We did the country line dance class. It was fun and a pretty easy-to-learn dance. It was held in the main lobby and we had plenty of room to spread out and have some fun. It's a good way to let loose and have some fun. 70's class was also in lobby along with the sat night fever class. The 70's dance class was held on our 1st sea day (sunday) at 3pm. The sat night fever was our 2nd sea day (Monday) at 2pm, and country line dance class was our last sea day (sat) at 3pm.

Thank you so much for your willingness to share! We have cruised before but not with Carnival. I was wondering if you booked a spa treatment onboard? I have tried my best to navigate Carnival's site to see what specific treatments they offer, but I keep getting looped to very generic pages. On other cruises, I have been able to book spa treatments in advance...just like shore excursions. If you did any treatments, could you please share the details:)?

We will be on the same deck as you were. I'm glad to hear it wasn't too loud. We are cruising with our immediate and extended family with kids from ages 5-14. Did you (or anyone reading this post:D) hear anything about the kids' programs? I'm thinking we may not see the 13 and 14 year old for the whole week:p! We'll be on the July 12th cruise from Fort Lauderdale...maybe we'll see some of ya'll!

Tracy in NC

Thanks for the info on the dance classes...will have to check those out!

Can you tell me if you turned your clocks back an hour before stopping in Panama? Just want to make sure about times to arrange a private tour.

Thanks for the info on the dance classes...will have to check those out!

Can you tell me if you turned your clocks back an hour before stopping in Panama? Just want to make sure about times to arrange a private tour.

We turned our clocks back on sunday night (we arrived in Panama on Tues) and had to turn them forward again on Friday night.

Thank you so much for your willingness to share! We have cruised before but not with Carnival. I was wondering if you booked a spa treatment onboard? I have tried my best to navigate Carnival's site to see what specific treatments they offer, but I keep getting looped to very generic pages. On other cruises, I have been able to book spa treatments in advance...just like shore excursions. If you did any treatments, could you please share the details:)?

We will be on the same deck as you were. I'm glad to hear it wasn't too loud. We are cruising with our immediate and extended family with kids from ages 5-14. Did you (or anyone reading this post:D) hear anything about the kids' programs? I'm thinking we may not see the 13 and 14 year old for the whole week:p! We'll be on the July 12th cruise from Fort Lauderdale...maybe we'll see some of ya'll!

Tracy in NC

I didn't book any spa treatments, but I believe if you go on carnival's website and it should be right next to the link to book shore excursions (I think you need to be logged in to carnival's website to view them) but you can look through and book spa treatments. I know we looked at them because we were going to book one for my boyfriend's mom. Hope this helps.

We turned our clocks back on sunday night (we arrived in Panama on Tues) and had to turn them forward again on Friday night.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! Loving your report & photos!

By the way, the night that we were in Panama there was a show in the main show lounge of a comedian, Thien Fu. If this guy is performing on any of your trips, make sure you go see him. This was my favorite entertainer of the entire cruise. He was hilarious. It is a family show, so bring the kids! I promise you will laugh the entire time! He does stand up comedy, audience interaction, and some juggling/magic. Hope you all have a chance to see him!

I will do my review of Costa Rica tomorrow. This is taking more time than I thought it would, lol, but I want to make sure I do a good review and be detailed, and I'm exhausted now, so tomorrow I will start fresh and post lots of info about the excursion we did (white water rafting) and more pics!!

Just a quick note...white water rafting was the best excursion I think I've ever done! I'll give you all the details tomorrow! Promise! Goodnight everyone :)

Costa Rica- We did the Class III white water rafting excursion through Carnival. This was the best excursion ever! We met at the end of the pier and got on a very nice bus. We had about an hour and 15 min drive from Limon to the site to change and use the rest room for the last time. After that, we hopped back onto the bus that took us to where we would be entering the river.

They give you helmets, life vests, and a paddle. We had six people on our raft, but there were also a few groups of 8 and 10. Each raft has a guide on it. Before starting, each guide teaches everyone how to paddle and what each of the commands mean. We rafted the river for about an hour. It was such a fun experience. The sights are beautiful and the rapids are great. It wasn't too intense. We saw young people and old people all having a blast. The highest is a class 6, so we were half way there, but again, it wasn't too rough, i'd say it was just right. They guides are very good at instructing you how to paddle and tending to anyone who happens to fall out of the raft (yes, it did happen, but they were back on the raft within seconds).

After the rafting is over, you get back on the bus to the place where we stopped before. There are restrooms, showers, and a gift shop there. They have a wonderful Costa Rican buffet lunch prepared and waiting for you. It was delicious food! They also have a bar where you can purchase soda or the local beer. (Imperial beer is delicious!)

Another option they have is to purchase a CD filled with photos of your group rafting. They have a photographer who kayaks down the river ahead of the groups and stands on the side taking pictures of everyone as they come by. We didn't even notice him while we were rafting. We purchased the CD ($30) and there are like 900 pictures on it. Of course, they are not of only us, they are of the entire group, but i'd say at least 50 of them had us in them. To me, it was worth it since we were not able to take pictures ourselves. After lunch, you head back on the bus for an hour and 15 mins to the ship.

The tour was amazing and I would definitely recommend this excursion to anyone. The guides are all very nice and look out for the safety of every passenger.

If anyone has any questions about this excursion, please feel free to ask!

Thurs- Sea Day- Finally a sunny, hot sea day!! We baked in the sun for most of the day, enjoying the beautiful weather. That night was the Carnival Stars show, something that I had never seen before on a cruise. They held auditions early in the day and then three acts were chosen to perform in the show that night. (It was a talent show basically for guests) It was hosted by Todd and James the CD and ACD. It started off with a fun skit that included members of the audience, and then the three acts performed. They were all very good. After they were finished, the entire entertainment staff put on a performance. All I can say is that it was hilarious! I won't say much more because I don't want to ruin it for anyone who may be seeing this soon, but don't miss it, it's very entertaining :)

Fri- Belize- We did the Land Rover and Cave Exploration tour offered through Carnival. My boyfriend and I had done this excursion last august and liked it so much we booked it again so his parents could do it too. It wasn't that great the second time around, maybe because we had already done it, but we still had fun.

We met in the lounge at 6:45am....yes, 6:45am!!!! Then we were taken as a group off the ship (we tender in Belize, so we had to get on the boat to take us to land). Then you get on a bus, a big green and yellow bus, and drive for about an hour into the rainforest. Our guide, Clifford, explains everything that you could ever want to know about Belize on the way there. He is very informative and open to answering questions. After arriving in the rainforest, you stop at a site to use the restrooms and put your stuff in lockers. Then, as a group, you walk through the rainforest and into some caves. Remember BUG SPRAY!!!!!!!! Inside the caves is just amazing. It's so beautiful and awesome to see. We were lucky enough to see some bats inside. They didn't move, just hung there while we took pictures. After walking through the caves and getting a tour of the rainforest and everything in it, you go back to the site to use restrooms, get your stuff out of lockers, and enjoy some drinks (soda, water, fruit punch, all included).

After that, you split into groups of between 4-6 people and get in the land rovers. They are stick shift vehicles and they require you to have your drivers license on you if you would like to drive them. You head out convoy style and drive through the rainforest.Now, when we did this last august, it was muddy, so we were having a blast flying through the forest spraying mud everywhere, but this time, it was dry as could be! Obviously, august is in the middle of their rainy season, so it was nice and wet...June its just beginning, so it was dry and dusty and not as fun. August was def better because the vehicles were sliding all over the place and we were covered in mud!!!

You drive the land rovers for about an hour and end up at this little hut thing where they have a Belizan lunch prepared. (red beans and rice with chicken and coleslaw). I wasn't crazy about it, but most people really enjoyed it. They serve free drinks (soda, water, fruit punch, and also now rum punch) It is unlimited! Lunch was free too by the way. They give you time to swim in the river right there too, which I recommend, the water is beautiful and soooo warm! After eating, you get on a speed boat for a ride back to the pier where you can do some shopping and enjoy the rest of the time you have in Belize. We had about two hours to roam around after the tour was done.

This excursion costs $99, and I think well worth the money for all that you get to experience. The guides are very friendly and helpful. I just wish that it would have been muddy for the land rover part again, it was so much better that way. Oh well. If you have any questions about this excursion, let me know!

Archived