Why does Carnival charge a gratuity for mini-bar items?

lovesublime

Hoteliers have a saying "Butt's in Beds" because that's where the profit is. The room has been built, outfitted with furniture and once the hotel has been paid for, every butt in that bed, minus the very nominal fee it costs to keep the room clean, lit and supplied with water, is pure profit.

Hotel Sales people will present you with a contract and tell you they've "waived any parking fees" because they use it as a selling point after you've pulled into their six story garage and saw the "$10 to park" sign. Although the hotel's GM wants everyone to pay for parking. Why? Because unless someone else owns the parking garage, it's "straight-to-the-bottom" profit.

Next time you are in a hotel call the restaurant and ask them how much a cheeseburger is if you come sit down at a table. Then compare that price with the "in-room-charge" for the same cheeseburger. It's more. And you normally have a "delivery fee" and an automatic 19 or 20 percent service fee on top of that.

It's all about profit. But you can always go down to the restaurant and save a few bucks or go down to the bar and bring the drink back up to your room.

I agree with many of the posts here both for and against the practice. I can't wait to see how many "flames" I get since I've stated the obvious but since I didn't see anyone compare what Carnival is doing to the hotel industry (sorry if I missed it) I thought I would type in my two cents. It's a very slow night and I had the time!!!

If you just want to call people names why even post? I don't get it:rolleyes:

Lovesublime posted something that maybe alot of people were not aware of.......I wasn't and I am Platinum with Carnival........

Now that some of us are aware maybe we think it is lame....or a rip as Lovesublime said.....we aren't suppose to post how we feel and if we do it is whining or being cheap:confused: Maybe now people will think twice about purchasing items from the mini bar.....

Good grief:rolleyes:

No, you're not cheap and neither am I. I truly feel that the mini-bar restocking fee is totally uncalled for. Really, do they want people buying the overpriced drinks in the fridge or not? Why tack on an added 'fee' if people purchase the items? Like I stated earlier, it just seems like a punishment for utilizing the mini-bar.

Hoteliers have a saying "Butt's in Beds" because that's where the profit is. The room has been built, outfitted with furniture and once the hotel has been paid for, every butt in that bed, minus the very nominal fee it costs to keep the room clean, lit and supplied with water, is pure profit.

Hotel Sales people will present you with a contract and tell you they've "waived any parking fees" because they use it as a selling point after you've pulled into their six story garage and saw the "$10 to park" sign. Although the hotel's GM wants everyone to pay for parking. Why? Because unless someone else owns the parking garage, it's "straight-to-the-bottom" profit.

Next time you are in a hotel call the restaurant and ask them how much a cheeseburger is if you come sit down at a table. Then compare that price with the "in-room-charge" for the same cheeseburger. It's more. And you normally have a "delivery fee" and an automatic 19 or 20 percent service fee on top of that.

It's all about profit. But you can always go down to the restaurant and save a few bucks or go down to the bar and bring the drink back up to your room.

I agree with many of the posts here both for and against the practice. I can't wait to see how many "flames" I get since I've stated the obvious but since I didn't see anyone compare what Carnival is doing to the hotel industry (sorry if I missed it) I thought I would type in my two cents. It's a very slow night and I had the time!!!

I totally understand what you are talking about.......stayed in many hotels with the mini bar (hotels call them honor bars) and none ever tacked on a price above and beyond what the price of the item was.....if the candy bar was $5.00 I paid $5.00.......not $5.00 plus a 15% stocking fee lol!

I would be willing to bet if they just put the 15% into the total price people wouldn't think it was lame ........but to list it as a stocking charge on the menu and then list it as a gratuity charge on you onboard account........well that is pretty lame:D

You already tip the slave for cleaning your cabin (unless you are one of the lame ones that remove tips - I don't think you are)

It is an extra service the steward has to provide. They already have to clean your stateroom. To take inventory and then go replenish takes time and energy. Do you disagree? They also have to report to billing and then there is billing time overhead as well. Do you disagree?

The steward carts are not stocked those supplies lest passengers help themselves, gratis, while they are otherwise doing their job.

If you don't agree with the policy, have the steward lock the fridge and remove the bottle water. Problem solved.

You already tip the slave for cleaning your cabin (unless you are one of the lame ones that remove tips - I don't think you are)

It is an extra service the steward has to provide. They already have to clean your stateroom. To take inventory and then go replenish takes time and energy. Do you disagree? They also have to report to billing and then there is billing time overhead as well. Do you disagree?

The steward carts are not stocked those supplies lest passengers help themselves, gratis, while they are otherwise doing their job.

If you don't agree with the policy, have the steward lock the fridge and remove the bottle water. Problem solved.

Since I don't use it I believe it has never been a problem.........just another form of nickel and diming........

Now more people are aware of it thanks to the op......

What was lame was on the Splendor there were 3 in our cabin, my mother took a diet coke out of the fridge late one evening. The next day it was replaced by the diet coke being set on the counter with the receipt showing the charge beneath it. It was never asked which of the 3 S&S accounts should be billed and was billed to my account.

I guess he left it out so we wouldn't miss the receipt. Would have thought though it could have at least been put back into the fridge.

If you just want to call people names why even post? I don't get it:rolleyes:

Your post #69.

"Actually the 15% charge is listed at the very bottom in fine print......unless I had my reading glasses on I can honestly say I would have missed it...... "

Sorry if you think saying you are too young for 'readers' is name calling.

And what I read into lovesublimes posts is that it is a complaint about the prices, not the 15%. Any cruise ship is a sea going RESORT. It is not the sticky seat,corner dive with 50 cent beers in spotty classes. They ARE resorts with resort prices. YOU know that, I know that. Anyone that doesn't know that is wandering about in a clueless fog...........Helpless!

Regardless how much dan40 and his releated bretheren of keyboard cowboys want to make it a pennies on the dollar issue, that was clearly not the op complaint.

I've never really thought about it until now. I did notice on our last two cruises that we were charged a 15% gratuity for taking items in the fridge. Also, were charged a gratuity for drinking the bottled water on the desk. Let me clarify that we indeed drink all the juices, cokes, beers, bottled water etc. in the cabin.

We find it convenient and don't mind paying for it. I just don't understand the 'gratuity' added to a self serve mini-bar. Is it because the steward has to restock? That seems lame, because he/she has to daily replenish towels, change the bed and so on. What's the big deal with filling the fridge with a few drinks and a bottle of water? I guess it's not a big deal, but I'm just wondering how Carnival justifies charging a gratuity for a self serve mini-fridge. I don't know of any hotels that do.

Clearly op is simply questionning the policy. Some here like to appear "superior" with their replies. It only serves to reinforce their bruised egos from real life. :rolleyes:

Your post #69.

"Actually the 15% charge is listed at the very bottom in fine print......unless I had my reading glasses on I can honestly say I would have missed it...... "

Sorry if you think saying you are too young for 'readers' is name calling.

And what I read into lovesublimes posts is that it is a complaint about the prices, not the 15%. Any cruise ship is a sea going RESORT. It is not the sticky seat,corner dive with 50 cent beers in spotty classes. They ARE resorts with resort prices. YOU know that, I know that. Anyone that doesn't know that is wandering about in a clueless fog...........Helpless!

You know that is not what I was talking about when I said name calling:rolleyes:

And I can't speak for Lovesublimes but I do believe she was just questioning the 15% gratuity charge on a self served mini bar...... .....her posts were pretty clear from the get go that she had no problem paying for the convenience......but I will be so kind to not call anyone a name because they missed it;)

Regardless how much dan40 and his releated bretheren of keyboard cowboys want to make it a pennies on the dollar issue, that was clearly not the op complaint.

Clearly op is simply questionning the policy. Some here like to appear "superior" with their replies. It only serves to reinforce their bruised egos from real life. :rolleyes:

That's what I read:D

A new 'Judge" on the boards.

And one that is quite familiar with feelings of superiority.

I'm hardly new, nor judging. I am simply stating the painfully obvious. :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

How could I mistake that for judgement?

I'm judgemental about all things at all times, I know it. It does not bother me. I think we ALL ARE all the time.

If you do not wish to be seen as judgemental, then stop being judgemental. Maybe you can fool yourself.

There are some Carnival ships that don't have fridges in the cabins, except for suites. If you limit yourself to them and don't drink the bottled water, problem solved.

If you help yourself to bottled water when leaving the ship, they will also charge you 15%. Look out!

I'm hardly new, nor judging. I am simply stating the painfully obvious. :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

Originally Posted by StuartLittle

Regardless how much

dan40 and his releated bretheren of keyboard cowboys--A JUDGEMENT!

want to make it --A JUDGEMENT!

a pennies on the dollar issue,

that was clearly not the op complaint.-- A JUDGEMENT!

Clearly op is simply questionning the policy.

Some here like to appear "superior" with their replies.-- A JUDGEMENT!

It only serves to reinforce their bruised egos from real life.-- A JUDGEMENT!

What IS painfully obvious is that you fail to recognize what you are posting as judgements. They ARE still judgements, just unrecognized by you. And I KNOW that is a judgement by me!

Originally Posted by StuartLittle

Regardless how much

dan40 and his releated bretheren of keyboard cowboys--A JUDGEMENT!

want to make it --A JUDGEMENT!

a pennies on the dollar issue,

that was clearly not the op complaint.-- A JUDGEMENT!

Clearly op is simply questionning the policy.

Some here like to appear "superior" with their replies.-- A JUDGEMENT!

It only serves to reinforce their bruised egos from real life.-- A JUDGEMENT!

What IS painfully obvious is that you fail to recognize what you are posting as judgements. They ARE still judgements, just unrecognized by you. And I KNOW that is a judgement by me!

dan40, your inability to read and comprehend what the op posted is clearly your issue, not mine. You accusing people of being cheap and unwilling to pay 29 cents regardless of what was posted to the contrary is your issue, not mine. You viewing the obvious as a judgement is your issue, not mine.

If your life is lacking in some way and you can make yourself feel better with internet bravado, have it. If accusing people of being cheap makes you somehow feel richer, enjoy.

I'll continue to point out the obvious regardless if it goes over your head. :rolleyes:

I totally understand what you are talking about.......stayed in many hotels with the mini bar (hotels call them honor bars) and none ever tacked on a price above and beyond what the price of the item was.....if the candy bar was $5.00 I paid $5.00.......not $5.00 plus a 15% stocking fee lol!

The difference is the hotel charges you $5.00 for a candy bar, the 300% restocking fee is built in. Carnival charges the regular price then adds 15%.

For those that actually buy from the mini-bar, you next cruise leave it locked and go to a bar every time you need a drink. I think you will find the 15% worth the convenience. ;)

WOW.. things really fall apart quickly these days. I'm all for tipping the steward.. but does he/she get that 15% or is it a corporate restocking charge?

I NEVER use the mini bar stuff.. I tend to be careless with money but somethings get in my craw. Mini bars are one of those things. I've always felt a smaller mark-up would mean MORE sales. I don't mind paying for convenience and I am as lazy as the next person but highway robbery with my consent goes against my grain.

The difference is the hotel charges you $5.00 for a candy bar, the 300% restocking fee is built in. Carnival charges the regular price then adds 15%.

For those that actually buy from the mini-bar, you next cruise leave it locked and go to a bar every time you need a drink. I think you will find the 15% worth the convenience. ;)

LOL! Tell me about it:D My point with that example is that it is built in.......

The hotel honor bars are a whole other issue with me;)

OMG.. The soda is there.. I didnt have to carry it on

i didnt have to order room service.. I will gladly pay that 15c on every dollar!

Last cruise i asked the room attendant to remove everything except the soda and to make all the soda diet coke...

no problem... It was there when i needed it..

:)

Archived