Why does Carnival charge a gratuity for mini-bar items?

lovesublime

It's not an issue of being CHEAP! It's an issue of a b.s. 'restocking fee' for utilizing the mini-bar. What? Is Carnival actually trying to 'discourage' guests from purchasing the drink items by imposing a 'fee' to restock? BTW, we are not CHEAP. On both our Carnival cruises-we purchased bar set-ups for our cabin totallying between $200 and $300. PLUS, we clean out the mini-bar.

Baloney. How is serving yourself by walking up to a bar and ordering a drink versus helping yourself to one from fridge any different? You still pay the list price + 15%. Do you think you are entitled to a discount?

If you order from a waiter, it is still 15%, but now there is a bartender and a waiter who are serving you. Should the tip them become 30%?

The cabin steward has to make a special trip to restock the fridge. He also has to report the charge to the purser so there is also overhead there. I sure as hell don't want to subsidize your addictions. It is an optional service that if you opt to use it, you cough up the 15%.

If you don't want to pay the 15%, keep the fridge locked.

It is still, however, all about the money.

I actually think that the prices Carnival charges for most things is reasonable, considering they could charge what they want. I lived in Chicago for a few years back in the late 1990's and I know even back THEN, I was paying more for drinks than they charge onboard Carnival NOW.

Personally I don't have a problem with their drink prices either.......obviously if my S&S bill runs about $1,200.00 per 7 day cruise:p But I think it is lame to charge a separate service charge to a mini bar:D I also think it is lame to charge a 15% gratuity for the bottled water stands that you walk up to buy from........I also think it is lame for coffee shops to have a tip jar..........I could go on and on........JMHO........

Baloney. How is serving yourself by walking up to a bar and ordering a drink versus helping yourself to one from fridge any different? You still pay the list price + 15%. Do you think you are entitled to a discount?

If you order from a waiter, it is still 15%, but now there is a bartender and a waiter who are serving you. Should the tip them become 30%?

The cabin steward has to make a special trip to restock the fridge. He also has to report the charge to the purser so there is also overhead there. I sure as hell don't want to subsidize your addictions. It is an optional service that if you opt to use it, you cough up the 15%.

If you don't want to pay the 15%, keep the fridge locked.

It is still, however, all about the money.

Well, the difference is that I'm the one doing the pouring and mixing. I'm not being waited on. Another thing, these beverages are stored in a closet down the hall. How is it any more 'trouble' to stock the cabin with drinks than it is to bring towels and toliet paper? Also, before you start making accusations of which you know nothing of...I did read your recent review and it looks to me that you guys had no shortage of booze onboard.

Not sure what the statute of limitations is on responding to a post, but I’ll risk it anyway.

Dan, my point was that when you post a price list with some fine print at the bottom mentioning a 15% “restocking charge”, it is fundamentally misleading and borderline dishonest. Yes, the “restocking charge” is mentioned at the bottom, if you get that far. Obviously, from the responses, many repeat passengers were not aware of this charge. And I’m sure Carnival is counting on that.

I don’t think anyone is complaining about the price (passengers always have the choice not to buy – I certainly brought plenty of soda with me on my last cruise). The consensus on this thread seems to be that the practice of adding a “restocking charge” to a mini-bar purchase is “nickel and diming”.

There is absolutely no reason why they couldn’t include the “restocking charge” in the listed price. It is not a “tax” imposed on them by government (i.e., if it was, there would be some logic to separating the posted cost that represents their revenue from the cost they are required by law to pass on in the form of a tax).

So you have to ask yourself, why do they have a price list and then a separate “restocking charge”? The only logical answer is that they want to mislead people about the total price.

If there is any other reason, I’d like to hear it.

And thanks for posting the copy of the price list and helping me make my case.

Good Grief, so much RATIONALIZATION madness from you and that other contrarian over a few pennies!

IF YOU DON 'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, DON'T DO IT OR DON'T COMPLAIN AFTER YOU HAVE DONE IT.

If they wanted to lie to anyone about the price they wouldn't put ANYTHING at the bottom. ITS THERE in black and white, TO INFORM YOU. But accepting that simple Occam's razor reason would destroy your premise that you are being intentionally CHEATED by the cruiseline or the hotel or any vendor lacking a gigantic, pulsing neon sign forewarning you of every single charge possibility in your lifetime.

If someone posted that they were going to partake of the mini bar but saw they would have to pay a 15% restocking fee, so they chose not to make that purchase as they felt it is/was an unwarranted charge. OK, complaint noted, their choice was proper for them.

Doing ANYTHING without knowing what you are doing IS YOUR FAULT. Complaint REJECTED!

No reason not to include it in the price? It goes to the room steward. If included, it would have to be broken back out later.

When is the last time you saw a restaurant menu with 2 inch high letters on the front saying, "A 20% GRATUITY WILL BE ADDED FOR GROUPS OF 10 OR MORE." You find it in fine print at the back of the menu. More misleading?

Fine print IS a fact of life, read it or shut up about it. Its older than me and that's OLD!

Well, the difference is that I'm the one doing the pouring and mixing. I'm not being waited on. Another thing, these beverages are stored in a closet down the hall. How is it any more 'trouble' to stock the cabin with drinks than it is to bring towels and toliet paper? Also, before you start making accusations of which you know nothing of...I did read your recent review and it looks to me that you guys had no shortage of booze onboard.

So you want a discount, in other words. Having the minibar in the room is for your convenience. If you don't use it, you don't pay for the convenience. If you do use it, you pay. Do I need to write it in crayon for you?

They store extra toilet paper in the cabin. They is no charge for towels or toilet paper except when you steal them.

We had sufficient wine and a bottle of scotch - some was a present. We skipped the past guest and captain's parties with the free drinks - there are always too many cheap people there. As it was, we had to carry a bottle of wine and the leftover scotch up to Anchorage where we still didn't manage to finish it. We did spend more on shore excursions than the cruise cost and my Internet bill alone probably dwarfed your minibar bill.

Personally I don't have a problem with their drink prices either.......obviously if my S&S bill runs about $1,200.00 per 7 day cruise:p But I think it is lame to charge a separate service charge to a mini bar:D I also think it is lame to charge a 15% gratuity for the bottled water stands that you walk up to buy from........I also think it is lame for coffee shops to have a tip jar..........I could go on and on........JMHO........

I agree that what Carnival charges for these things isn't bad at all. I was never complaining about the price of the drinks-only the added 'fee' for 'self service'.

So you want a discount, in other words. Having the minibar in the room is for your convenience. If you don't use it, you don't pay for the convenience. If you do use it, you pay. Do I need to write it in crayon for you?

They store extra toilet paper in the cabin. They is no charge for towels or toilet paper except when you steal them.

We had sufficient wine and a bottle of scotch - some was a present. We skipped the past guest and captain's parties with the free drinks - there are always too many cheap people there. As it was, we had to carry a bottle of wine and the leftover scotch up to Anchorage where we still didn't manage to finish it. We did spend more on shore excursions than the cruise cost and my Internet bill alone probably dwarfed your minibar bill.

So now the people who attend the past guest party are cheap as well?

Must be very lonely on that pedestal you think you're on..

I agree that what Carnival charges for these things isn't bad at all. I was never complaining about the price of the drinks-only the added 'fee' for 'self service'.

I know;) It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what your post was about.......

In other words, you want a discount for drinking in a closet. If Carnival gave everyone a discount, passengers would sit in their rooms getting drunk and the bars would be empty.

Or they could charge more for drinks taken from the minibar but then there would be more whining about that.

In other words, you want a discount for drinking in a closet. If Carnival gave everyone a discount, passengers would sit in their rooms getting drunk and the bars would be empty.

Or they could charge more for drinks taken from the minibar but then there would be more whining about that.

You can't be serious. There are plenty of people who smuggle and a fair amount that buy bar setups. They aren't sitting in their rooms the entire time getting hammered. The bars are still full. :rolleyes:

You really need to come up with some well thought out arguments. Maybe if you step down out of the thin air you'll prove a bit more logical.

You can't be serious. There are plenty of people who smuggle and a fair amount that buy bar setups. They aren't sitting in their rooms the entire time getting hammered. The bars are still full. :rolleyes:

You really need to come up with some well thought out arguments. Maybe if you step down out of the thin air you'll prove a bit more logical.

Perfectly serious. You want a discount for drinking in your closet. You want to pay 15% less than if you stumbled up to the bar and ordered a drink.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you. Perhaps when you sober up :confused:

Perfectly serious. You want a discount for drinking in your closet. You want to pay 15% less than if you stumbled up to the bar and ordered a drink.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you. Perhaps when you sober up :confused:

I haven't asked for a discount for anything NA. :confused:

And your math simply doesn't work. People who bring their own booze (which is far less expensive than anything CCL has to offfer), aren't sitting in their rooms all day, and the bars are anything but empty. :rolleyes:

I haven't asked for a discount for anything NA. :confused:

And your math simply doesn't work. People who bring their own booze (which is far less expensive than anything CCL has to offfer), aren't sitting in their rooms all day, and the bars are anything but empty. :rolleyes:

If YOU serve yourself a Carnival coke in your closet, it costs you $1.95 + 15%. If YOU stumble to a bar and serve yourself a coke, it costs $1.95 + 15%.

YOU don't want to pay a reasonable restocking fee of 15% for closet coke drinking.

That amounts to a discount, which YOU don't deserve.

If YOU serve yourself a Carnival coke in your closet, it costs you $1.95 + 15%. If YOU stumble to a bar and serve yourself a coke, it costs $1.95 + 15%.

YOU don't want to pay a reasonable restocking fee of 15% for closet coke drinking.

Hey NN, I haven't said I wanted a discount on anything. And exactly how do you go to the bar and serve yourself a drink? LMAO

Why is it the proverbial snobs on this board have so much difficulty reading AND comprehending? :confused: Maybe it's just their way of upping their post count. :rolleyes:

Hey NN, I haven't said I wanted a discount on anything. And exactly how do you go to the bar and serve yourself a drink? LMAO

Why is it the proverbial snobs on this board have so much difficulty reading AND comprehending? :confused: Maybe it's just their way of upping their post count. :rolleyes:

Your options are to have a waiter pick you up a drink at the bar or you can pick yourself up one at the bar, in which case you serve yourself. You still have to pay the 15%.

By objecting to a restocking fee, you want the same cocktail in your closet for less money than if you served yourself at the bar. Sounds kind of cheap to me.

In your case, perhaps Carnival would be delighted to start you out with an empty, locked, refrigerator. Then charge you a $50 locksmith fee to unlock the cabinet and have you pay a stocking charge. If you consume anything, then you don't have to pay a restocking charge, unless, of course, you want to empty the minibar multiple times.

Maybe when I have more time I'll trying drawing a diagram for you. Obviously English is not your primary language.

I believe what Stuart is saying if the total cost of your coke from the self serve mini bar is going to be $2.24 then charge $2.24.......nobody is asking for a discount......

Your options are to have a waiter pick you up a drink at the bar or you can pick yourself up one at the bar, in which case you serve yourself. You still have to pay the 15%.

By objecting to a restocking fee, you want the same cocktail in your closet for less money than if you served yourself at the bar. Sounds kind of cheap to me.

In your case, perhaps Carnival would be delighted to start you out with an empty, locked, refrigerator. Then charge you a $50 locksmith fee to unlock the cabinet and have you pay a stocking charge. If you consume anything, then you don't have to pay a restocking charge, unless, of course, you want to empty the minibar multiple times.

Maybe when I have more time I'll trying drawing a diagram for you. Obviously English is not your primary language.

Bro, I haven't even objected to the charge either. Only the arrogance and sheer stupidity of some of the people posting that the op is cheap.. :eek: :rolleyes: He questioned the reason for the charge. What is so difficult to understand about his question? Then you types come out with your rude, uninformed comments to bash him.

Please read my posts before labeling me. WAM :D

I believe what Stuart is saying if the total cost of your coke from the self serve mini bar is going to be $2.24 then charge $2.24.......nobody is asking for a discount......

In any event, it complicates the billing, because then, not all cokes would be equal. I'm not sure coke discrimination is legal, anyway.

Archived