Why does Carnival charge a gratuity for mini-bar items?

lovesublime

Bro, I haven't even objected to the charge either. Only the arrogance and sheer stupidity of some of the people posting that the op is cheap.. :eek: :rolleyes: He questioned the reason for the charge. What is so difficult to understand about his question? Then you types come out with your rude, uninformed comments to bash him.

Please read my posts before labeling me. WAM :D

I am simply replying to you in kind. BaDaBing. :D:eek::rolleyes:

Your options are to have a waiter pick you up a drink at the bar or you can pick yourself up one at the bar, in which case you serve yourself. You still have to pay the 15%..
Not serving myself, the waiter or the bartender takes my request and brings me what I want. There are many ways they can service me.. politely, quickly, with a smile or rudely, slowly or with a scowl. But I am being SERVED.

By objecting to a restocking fee, you want the same cocktail in your closet for less money than if you served yourself at the bar. Sounds kind of cheap to me..

If I'm serving myself, I'll tip myself.

Maybe when I have more time I'll trying drawing a diagram for you. Obviously English is not your primary language.

I know nothing about the person you directed this comment to but the comment tells me a lot about YOU.

In any event, it complicates the billing, because then, not all cokes would be equal. I'm not sure coke discrimination is legal, anyway.

Don't know how things are in your neck of the woods, but I can assure you that the billing systems in use in modern society could handle this with ease. :rolleyes:

Don't know how things are in your neck of the woods, but I can assure you that the billing systems in use in modern society could handle this with ease. :rolleyes:

You obviously have never had to deal with Carnival's IT department.

Not serving myself, the waiter or the bartender takes my request and brings me what I want. There are many ways they can service me.. politely, quickly, with a smile or rudely, slowly or with a scowl. But I am being SERVED.

If I'm serving myself, I'll tip myself.

I know nothing about the person you directed this comment to but the comment tells me a lot about YOU.

If you serve yourself from the minibar, you will indeed tip/restock fee 15% whether you like it or not.

Bro, I haven't even objected to the charge either. Only the arrogance and sheer stupidity of some of the people posting that the op is cheap.. :eek: :rolleyes: He questioned the reason for the charge. What is so difficult to understand about his question? Then you types come out with your rude, uninformed comments to bash him.

Please read my posts before labeling me. WAM :D

Well I read this one posted by you this month.

Your devastating sense of humor knows no bounds.

Look Dick, See the Funny, funny post by stuartlittle:

"If Carnival reinstates the fuel surcharge, should I reduce the extra tips that I normally give to the employees of Carnival? If so, how much should I reduce it by without being too cheap or too generous? I want to try and be in between what everybody else is doing. :p"

That is what you consider funny?

Well I read this one posted by you this month.

Your devastating sense of humor knows no bounds.

Look Dick, See the Funny, funny post by stuartlittle:

"If Carnival reinstates the fuel surcharge, should I reduce the extra tips that I normally give to the employees of Carnival? If so, how much should I reduce it by without being too cheap or too generous? I want to try and be in between what everybody else is doing. :p"

That is what you consider funny?

Actually yes, especially seeing it's having it's desired effect. LMAO

Good Grief, so much RATIONALIZATION madness from you and that other contrarian over a few pennies!

IF YOU DON 'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, DON'T DO IT OR DON'T COMPLAIN AFTER YOU HAVE DONE IT.

If they wanted to lie to anyone about the price they wouldn't put ANYTHING at the bottom. ITS THERE in black and white, TO INFORM YOU. But accepting that simple Occam's razor reason would destroy your premise that you are being intentionally CHEATED by the cruiseline or the hotel or any vendor lacking a gigantic, pulsing neon sign forewarning you of every single charge possibility in your lifetime.

If someone posted that they were going to partake of the mini bar but saw they would have to pay a 15% restocking fee, so they chose not to make that purchase as they felt it is/was an unwarranted charge. OK, complaint noted, their choice was proper for them.

Doing ANYTHING without knowing what you are doing IS YOUR FAULT. Complaint REJECTED!

No reason not to include it in the price? It goes to the room steward. If included, it would have to be broken back out later.

When is the last time you saw a restaurant menu with 2 inch high letters on the front saying, "A 20% GRATUITY WILL BE ADDED FOR GROUPS OF 10 OR MORE." You find it in fine print at the back of the menu. More misleading?

Fine print IS a fact of life, read it or shut up about it. Its older than me and that's OLD!

If this was a 15% gratuity, I would have less of a problem with it. I appreciate that the cabin steward has to refill the mini-bar, but as other posters have noted, they replace the towels, supplies and any number of other things for which they are compensated (and you can argue about the level of compensation and how much is/should be wages vs. tips, but that discussion is for another thread).

You aren't charged separately for each item of service you're provided in your cabin (tidying up, making beds, replacing towels), so I don't buy the argument that I'm getting a free service if the steward replaces the soda in my fridge by not in yours (because you didn't have any). Should you be charged an extra "restocking fee" on toilet paper if you go through it faster than I do?

Yes, restaurant menus often indicate that a gratuity will be automatically added to the bill for larger parties. But they are not added to every bill, just the ones for large parties. That's why they can't include it in the quoted price. Carnival's 15% charge is applied to every bill. So why bury it in fine print at the bottom of the page? Why not include it in the price?

The 15% charge is referred to on the price list as a "restocking fee", not a "gratuity". This makes me think that it is revenue to Carnival, not a gratuity credited to the steward. If it was, I'd still question whether it is a service that merits a tip. But assuming it goes straight to the cruise line, the use of a 15% premium that most passengers probably don't notice or consider when making their purchase decision is, as I mentioned above, misleading. Unless anyone can demonstrate that it is a gratuity for the cabin steward, it is simply part of the price.

That takes me back to the question, what other purpose is there to exclude it from the listed price, other than to mislead as many passengers as possible?

It is called Keep It Simple, Stupid.

1 coke, 1 price.

You tip the steward for the basic service or at least non-cheap people do.

Room service is not a basic service utilized by all. You tip when you use it, or at least non-cheap people do.

You remind me of someone who unsuccessfully argues that tips should be included in the price of the cruise.

Cheap people love to compare prices. If coke costs $2.50 on one cruise line that includes the tip in the price vs a cruise line that charges $2.00 and a 50 cent gratuity, which do you think the cheap person would be more attracted to?

On restaurants, restaurants in many countries charge a service charge for everyone, and many even charge a set fee for bread, butter, and crackers, whether you use them or not.

It is called Keep It Simple, Stupid.

1 coke, 1 price.

You tip the steward for the basic service or at least non-cheap people do.

Room service is not a basic service utilized by all. You tip when you use it, or at least non-cheap people do.

You remind me of someone who unsuccessfully argues that tips should be included in the price of the cruise.

Cheap people love to compare prices. If coke costs $2.50 on one cruise line that includes the tip in the price vs a cruise line that charges $2.00 and a 50 cent gratuity, which do you think the cheap person would be more attracted to?

On restaurants, restaurants in many countries charge a service charge for everyone, and many even charge a set fee for bread, butter, and crackers, whether you use them or not.

Actually, you're cheap. It's cheap to call people stupid. And you brag about how big your internet bill is onboard. Usually, it's those who do the most bragging on how much they spend are likely the ones who spend the least. It's not about being cheap, it's about Carnival's justification for charging a 'fee' for stocking the mini-bar. The placard reads "a 15% restocking fee will apply". (but it shows up on the S&S statement as an in cabin mini-bar gratuity) Why? Are they TRYING to disuade guests from purchasing the mini-bar drinks. It's as if Carnival is saying 'go ahead and buy the drinks in the fridge, but if you do we're going to charge you a 15% fee to do so. Why? You just don't get it.

I certainly don't mind paying a mandatory gratuity to a waiter or bar staff. But in cabin-I'm waiting on myself. So they get around it by calling it a restock fee. I guess if you want to defend that, then I'll just say it must be an inconvenience for Carnival to sell me $7.00 mini-bottles and $5.00 beers. Sorry it's such a hassle for them to stock the fridge with these things.

We've always found the in cabin mini-bars to be a nice convenience and will continue to utilize the option. I guess we should just be glad that Carnival actually stocks the fridges with drinks unlike another line we know of.

Actually, you're cheap. It's cheap to call people stupid. And you brag about how big your internet bill is onboard. Usually, it's those who do the most bragging on how much they spend are likely the ones who spend the least. It's not about being cheap, it's about Carnival's justification for charging a 'fee' for stocking the mini-bar. The placard reads "a 15% restocking fee will apply". (but it shows up on the S&S statement as an in cabin mini-bar gratuity) Why? Are they TRYING to disuade guests from purchasing the mini-bar drinks. It's as if Carnival is saying 'go ahead and buy the drinks in the fridge, but if you do we're going to charge you a 15% fee to do so. Why? You just don't get it.

I certainly don't mind paying a mandatory gratuity to a waiter or bar staff. But in cabin-I'm waiting on myself. So they get around it by calling it a restock fee. I guess if you want to defend that, then I'll just say it must be an inconvenience for Carnival to sell me $7.00 mini-bottles and $5.00 beers. Sorry it's such a hassle for them to stock the fridge with these things.

We've always found the in cabin mini-bars to be a nice convenience and will continue to utilize the option. I guess we should just be glad that Carnival actually stocks the fridges with drinks unlike another line we know of.

and you are clueless. If you don't want to pay for the service, don't use it.

if you drink all the cokes and expect there to be more the next day, don't whine about the restocking/tip.

i never have defended Carnival's liquor prices.

KISS is a very common acronym and principle.

KISS principle

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

"K-I-S-S" redirects here. For other uses, see Kiss (disambiguation).

The KISS principle: KISS is a modern acronym for the empirical principle "Keep it Short and Simple," or the more recent and disparaging "Keep it Simple, Stupid".[1] KISS states that design simplicity should be a key goal and that unnecessary complexity should be avoided....

If this was a 15% gratuity, I would have less of a problem with it. I appreciate that the cabin steward has to refill the mini-bar, but as other posters have noted, they replace the towels, supplies and any number of other things for which they are compensated (and you can argue about the level of compensation and how much is/should be wages vs. tips, but that discussion is for another thread).

You aren't charged separately for each item of service you're provided in your cabin (tidying up, making beds, replacing towels), so I don't buy the argument that I'm getting a free service if the steward replaces the soda in my fridge by not in yours (because you didn't have any). Should you be charged an extra "restocking fee" on toilet paper if you go through it faster than I do?

Yes, restaurant menus often indicate that a gratuity will be automatically added to the bill for larger parties. But they are not added to every bill, just the ones for large parties. That's why they can't include it in the quoted price. Carnival's 15% charge is applied to every bill. So why bury it in fine print at the bottom of the page? Why not include it in the price?

The 15% charge is referred to on the price list as a "restocking fee", not a "gratuity". This makes me think that it is revenue to Carnival, not a gratuity credited to the steward. If it was, I'd still question whether it is a service that merits a tip. But assuming it goes straight to the cruise line, the use of a 15% premium that most passengers probably don't notice or consider when making their purchase decision is, as I mentioned above, misleading. Unless anyone can demonstrate that it is a gratuity for the cabin steward, it is simply part of the price.

That takes me back to the question, what other purpose is there to exclude it from the listed price, other than to mislead as many passengers as possible?

One last attempt to penetrate the cement, then you're on the X list.

Stewart cleans room, makes bed, cleans head, changes towels, restocks TP, etc., etc. ALL of those things I use in the normal course of enjoying my vacation and personal hygiene. WHERE IS THE PRICE LIST FOR ANY OF THOSE THINGS? What is the toilet paper charge? What is the shampoo charge? What is the bed making charge? There is no price list for them as they ARE NOT optional. Yet I tip the room steward.

The items in the bar ARE optional. THEY WERE NOT INCLUDED IN MY CRUISE FARE. They cost extra, SHOULD I choose to consume them! But I do not use them. As stated in an earlier post, I have always found the fridge to be too warm so I have always brought my own Caffree diet soda [not available on ships until recently] and tipped the rs for xtra ice. Why should I since he has to bring ice anyway? But that is not my way of thinking. Its xtra service FOR me, it gets an xtra tip from me.

ALL optional drinks on board DO have a charge, plus a 15% added 'Whatever you like or don't like to call it," charge.

When someone spends thousands of dollars on a vacation and then complains, ENDLESSLY, about pennies and/or 'nickel & diming,' What IS the proper terminology for that?

Carnival's mission statement is to steal your pennies,

or life is so terribly unfair! Whatever you prefer.

Finished!

your response, or not, WILL be blocked.

[/b]

Since I don't use it I believe it has never been a problem.........just another form of nickel and diming........

Now more people are aware of it thanks to the op......

If I am thirsty I will use the mini bar and be happy I didn't have to wait for room service. When on a cruise I'm on vacation I expect to spend copious amounts of money. Do I wish there wasn't an extra 15% charged....yes, but I know it will be and so I have no beef!:confused:

Actually that's a sign of defeat;)

I wasn't calling any poster stupid and educated one or more that apparently are ignorant when it comes to the term KISS. The stupid in the acronym refers to the person designing the system - not someone using the system.

Neener neener, boo boo

1 coke, 1 price.

And looking at a drink menu I have from my recent Alaska cruise - no where does it mention, in fine print or otherwise, unless encapsulated in some sort of microdot, a 15% gratuity will be added. So the drink menu in the room actually provide MORE information as to what the total charge will be. Not at all misleading, but enlightening.

Neener neener

If I am thirsty I will use the mini bar and be happy I didn't have to wait for room service. When on a cruise I'm on vacation I expect to spend copious amounts of money. Do I wish there wasn't an extra 15% charged....yes, but I know it will be and so I have no beef!:confused:

I know some people who are delighted, whatever the cost. If they were to bring a case of coke on the ship, they would drink it all. Same if wasn't a soft drink.

It is sometimes enough of a deterrent for those with no self-control, to moderate.

The current system is well balanced for the needs of the majority of mass market cruisers. The rest can squeak all they want.

Neener neener, boo boo

1 coke, 1 price.

And looking at a drink menu I have from my recent Alaska cruise - no where does it mention, in fine print or otherwise, unless encapsulated in some sort of microdot, a 15% gratuity will be added. ...

Neener neener

Yes, my point exactly. One coke should have one price. Not one price and another hidden hidden 15% restocking charge that you don't even know is there until you study your bill.

Archived