Med Isles on Island Escape June 2010

Gemini4321

Hi everyone, :)

I have just joined this forum.

Trying to do some research into all the ports of calls and best places to visit, we are doing the 2 week cruise (Med Discovery/Spirit).

This will be our first cruise and have heard some horror stories about the Island Escape :confused:

Will be celebrating my 50th while away. :eek:

I'd be grateful for any help on best places to visit and others experience on this cruise.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Don't panic.

We did the Med Spirtit on her last year. She is an old ship 1984 if I remember.(like all thomsons fleet) but you don't notice on the interior.

We like a relaxed informal holiday and you can do this on her. But also if you want to get dressed up for the evening you don't feel out of place.

Especially if like us this month you are doing a 2 week cruise. BUt we were on Royal caribbean and had to waste space by filling up with formal clothes instead of proper holiday clothes.

I see a couple of the ports have changed. In Sicily the port is different and so the excursions are and the same in France. But you'll get the chance to go to Monaco.

I'm looking forward to going back there when we go on the Destiny Next year.

Sorry but I'm rambling on.

When we went to Livorno we did the Puccini lake and Pisa. A nice relaxing half day trip. We met His grandaughter in the villa. But if you haven't been to Either Pisa or Florence either will do. Florence is a museum in itself. And don't worry if you can't get into the museum to see Michaelangelo's statue of David, they have a full size statue in the square.

In barcelona we did it on our own. The HOHO bus stops right outside the port entrance and we had a nice relaxing day seeing the sights and strolling round.

Naples,

There's so much you can take your pick. But if they have it don't do the one that does both Pompeii and Sorrento. Lovely excursion but you are very rushed in Sorrento after going to Pompeii.

It will show you how much we liked her that we're back on in December with our sons on the Canary Islands cruise.

My email is berwynthomas@aol.com if you need any more help or pics.

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn,

Thanks for your reply, I'm trying to do lots of research before we go, Pisa is one place I want to see not so bothered about Florence. Trying to see what we can do on our own as the excursions can be expensive. Barcelona is one we will do on our own.

Will check out the other post.

Sue :)

Hi Berwyn,

Thanks for your reply, I'm trying to do lots of research before we go, Pisa is one place I want to see not so bothered about Florence. Trying to see what we can do on our own as the excursions can be expensive. Barcelona is one we will do on our own.

Will check out the other post.

Sue :)

Hi Sue,

After coming back from the Royal Caribbean cruise, the excursions with Thomsons / Island Cruises are about 40% cheaper. For example our excursion with RCI last week in Egypt was £120 where with Thomsons the same one was £ 70.

From what I have read on here it's just as easy to do the excursion with the cruise line as try to do it on your own.

The one thing to think about is that if you book an excursion through the cruise line they have to wait for you if the coach is late comingback the ship has to wait for you. But if you do a trip on your own the ship will go without you if you are late. :eek:.

Berwyn

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn,

Thanks for the tip, wouldn't want to get left behind. Plenty of time to have a look at wont we want to see in each port of call, then decide once on board whether to do our own thing.

Thanks again :)

Sue

I see you got 12 months nearly to decide, Last year we could book the excursions on line. But with Thomsons we can't.

If any of of this comes out like rubbish, I'm halfway down my 2nd bottle of Itilian Red Wine.

Berwyn

Not talking rubbish at all, very helpful, I stay away from wine its the quickiest thing to get me drunk hic hic. lol :D

Longgggggggggg time to wait

Sue

I Know. I'm not allowed to drink when working. So I catch up on my nights off :D Hic.!!

Berwyn

Not talking rubbish at all, very helpful, I stay away from wine its the quickiest thing to get me drunk hic hic. lol :D

Longgggggggggg time to wait

Sue

Me Tooo. Hic. Hic.

I'd be better sticking to beer. Not so much alchoholto get you drunk.. :D.

No I mean I can drink more before I get drunk!! :D

Berwyn

Archived