Sapphire beach vs. coki beach

alert

I like snorkeling and my 2 kids like to play on the beach. From what I have read it seems that coki beach is the best for snorkeling but the beach itself isn't that great.

How is sapphire beach for snorkeling. It seems that it is a nicer beach than coki.

I would like to go to a beach that can suit both me and my kids. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

My family and I spent a week at Sapphire beach last summer and loved it. The beach there is nice. We felt it was nicer than Coki.

The snorkeling nearest the shore at Sapphire is just ok, but if you swim out toward the point (which is to your right as you face the water) there are lots of neat fish and great coral.

We snorkeled all the way around the point. The water on the far side of the point is a little rougher, but ok if you are going toward shore. My kids, ages 13, 11 and 7 all made the swim around the point. (I would say they are better than average swimmers)

I will be in St. Thomas for a day in January with a group of freinds, and I plan to spend at least part of my day at Sapphire. :)

We went to Coki beach in November and loved it. That being said, you have to be prepared to see run down buildings-shacklike and substandard bathrooms. We loved the beach anyway. We spent the entire time facing the water or in it. Our kids ages 7 and up were able to snorkel right off the beach and we saw tons of beautiful fish at both ends of the beach. We had a local man there who called himself Web and took care of anything we needed from chairs to umbrellas to drinks. The beach wasn't crowded and we would absolutely go back. Of our 5 port days, it was one of our 2 favorites!

Just spent the day at Sapphire Beach last Sunday after our Wind Surf cruise (12/19/04). We rented a car and checked out several beaches before settling down at Sapphire. The beach is much nicer than Bolongo or Ritz-Carlton. Plenty of shade trees, clean sand, clear water and friendly people. No one was trying to sell or rent anything, but the hotel concession would rent chairs and watersports equipment on request. There were a lot of fish in waist-deep water and the coral starts quite close to shore on the right side. It is relatively calm and I would highly recommend it.

We went to Coki beach in November and loved it. That being said, you have to be prepared to see run down buildings-shacklike and substandard bathrooms. We loved the beach anyway. We spent the entire time facing the water or in it. Our kids ages 7 and up were able to snorkel right off the beach and we saw tons of beautiful fish at both ends of the beach. We had a local man there who called himself Web and took care of anything we needed from chairs to umbrellas to drinks. The beach wasn't crowded and we would absolutely go back. Of our 5 port days, it was one of our 2 favorites!

This was exactly what we saw. . ."run down buildings-shacklike and substandard bathrooms." In addition, it was VERY CROWDED, people standing shoulder to shoulder in the water looking down. We had Godfrey our tour guide take us to Sapphire which was beautiful. It also had snorkeling, a bar, clean bathrooms, snorkeling equipment rental, etc. We loved Sapphire!

Archived