Titanic Museum, Southampton

Saturated

Only five minutes walk from the terminals and well worth a visit. Only £1.90 entrance. I recommend this quaint, but well informed little museum to anyone sailing out of Southampton. If you are sailing from the city and have a few hours spare I think this museum will get you in the mood for your voyage. It harks back to the 'golden age' of cruising. The Titanic is heavily featured, of course.....with vocal commentaries etc, but The Queen Mary is the star of the show, really. A huge model of the original liner is upstairs. You could 'do' the whole museum in 10 minutes, but i spent about 90 minutes in there, reading everything and listening to the videos. I spent over £60 on posters to have framed. I just wish I could afford the cruise. There were 3 ships in port yesterday: Aurora, Artemis and Arcadia. I hope you all have a fabulous cruise.

Except, despite saying to the contrary on their website, they are closed on Sundays!! I and a friend especially stayed over on a weekend to visit and were stuck outside, along with several passengers from the MS Amadea, because we all thought it was going to open at 1pm and there was no sign up to the contrary! Eventually I phoned the tourist office and was told they were shutting Sundays for the foreseeable future!

Except, despite saying to the contrary on their website, they are closed on Sundays!! I and a friend especially stayed over on a weekend to visit and were stuck outside, along with several passengers from the MS Amadea, because we all thought it was going to open at 1pm and there was no sign up to the contrary! Eventually I phoned the tourist office and was told they were shutting Sundays for the foreseeable future!

Ah, I think that might be due to cuts by the Council. Is a shame.

Definitely do recommend you go to this museum if you get the chance, and it's open. That and if you've just disembarked or about to embark on a cruise ship, gives you enough time to prepare yourself/wind you down for the Southampton roadworks that seem to have sprung up everywhere.

Scrozuk

Archived