What to do in Caymans?

sas80

2 kids, ages 1 and 3.

I'm thinking of booking a private tour but can only think to go to the turtle farm so far. Does anyone have any other interesting stops that a 3 year old will like (besides the beach)

Actually, I'm thinking we might throw a rum factory tour in there. Question: do they let you sample? ;) (that was a serious question)

Does anyone know if any tours where they do let you sample?

Thanks!

We booked a private tour in Grand and had the BEST TIME EVER!!!!! The tour went through the city, to HELL (your 3 yr old might enjoy seeing the Hell rocks), Turtle Farm (very hands-on experiences), Tortuga Rum Factory, and then out to Stingray Reef. Our kids were 4 and 6 at the time.

B/C it was a private tour, we had our own boat out to Stingray Reef, which was very comfy. The ship/shore excursions boats were packed!! And although the kids were young, we took them in the water to experience the rays. DD (4) didn't want to stand due to the rays, so we held her in the water. Would your 3 yr old enjoy that? The water is very shallow.

It was a great day, and I'd highly recommend it.

CeleBrat

PS--yes--there was rum sampling allowed at the rum factory.

We booked a private tour in Grand and had the BEST TIME EVER!!!!! The tour went through the city, to HELL (your 3 yr old might enjoy seeing the Hell rocks), Turtle Farm (very hands-on experiences), Tortuga Rum Factory, and then out to Stingray Reef. Our kids were 4 and 6 at the time.

B/C it was a private tour, we had our own boat out to Stingray Reef, which was very comfy. The ship/shore excursions boats were packed!! And although the kids were young, we took them in the water to experience the rays. DD (4) didn't want to stand due to the rays, so we held her in the water. Would your 3 yr old enjoy that? The water is very shallow.

It was a great day, and I'd highly recommend it.

CeleBrat

PS--yes--there was rum sampling allowed at the rum factory.

Whom did you book it thru? Do you remember?

Good info. I am assuming you did the Stingray and Island tour. How many people where on your tour? We will be there in November and DD will be 5 and we would like to let her try the Stingrays, but also other stuff as well.

Good info.

Tim

Good info. I am assuming you did the Stingray and Island tour. How many people where on your tour?

Part of the reason the tour was so great is that our family (party of 6) were the only ones on the tour. It was a truly individualized experience. And no, we weren't charged any extra. We just happened to book on an "off" day.

CeleBrat

Part of the reason the tour was so great is that our family (party of 6) were the only ones on the tour. It was a truly individualized experience. And no, we weren't charged any extra. We just happened to book on an "off" day.

CeleBrat

They just quoted us $600 :eek: for that same private tour, lol.

Seriously?!?!? We booked through their website, and at the time it was $30ish p/p. That was 3 years ago.

I guess business is booming for them...and the market now demands a higher price.

Another option for you: there are also independent vendors on the shore "hawking" similar tours for much less.

Ugh--so sorry the price has gotten so high...

CeleBrat

Seriously?!?!? We booked through their website, and at the time it was $30ish p/p. That was 3 years ago.

I guess business is booming for them...and the market now demands a higher price.

Another option for you: there are also independent vendors on the shore "hawking" similar tours for much less.

Ugh--so sorry the price has gotten so high...

CeleBrat

They did say that we could go for $60 per person, so we will probably do that.

NAtivway is excellent. They do have an operator that has a small capacity boat. If you can, call Sharon directly and talk to her. Let her know that you are looking for something with your little ones. Ask them if you could have the guys take you to see the starfish and bring you a conch after going to Stingray City. Solomon is excellent to ask for, but his boat is big. The other thing you might try to do is put up the day of your tour on CruiseCritic and say that you are looking for other families with small children to share the boat with you. That's what we did (but with families with Teens) and we have a fabulous time. Cayman is a great place to even just go to the beach with the kids. Lots to do there! Enjoy.

NAtivway is excellent. They do have an operator that has a small capacity boat. If you can, call Sharon directly and talk to her. Let her know that you are looking for something with your little ones. Ask them if you could have the guys take you to see the starfish and bring you a conch after going to Stingray City. Solomon is excellent to ask for, but his boat is big. The other thing you might try to do is put up the day of your tour on CruiseCritic and say that you are looking for other families with small children to share the boat with you. That's what we did (but with families with Teens) and we have a fabulous time. Cayman is a great place to even just go to the beach with the kids. Lots to do there! Enjoy.

Thanks for the info. Sharon and I are emailing back and forth so I went ahead and asked her about the small boat.

Our kids (2-7) loved the turtle farm. They loved holding and feeding the turtles but their favorite part was swimming in the lagoon which had a great waterfall. We got some awesome pictures - just perfect for a hot day!

Archived