Convenient/Grocery Store in Anchorage

cruzrbachoua

Hi there, maybe some of you wonderful people out there can help us. We are wondering if anyone knows of any convenience or grocery stores in the Anchorage area near the 1st Ave train station. We are staying at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek and are thinking of picking up some water or other sundries before boarding the train to Whitter for our cruise.:D

Hi there, maybe some of you wonderful people out there can help us. We are wondering if anyone knows of any convenience or grocery stores in the Anchorage area near the 1st Ave train station. We are staying at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek and are thinking of picking up some water or other sundries before boarding the train to Whitter for our cruise.:D

No there is nothing down there. Really nothing in the downtown area at all.

Closest grocery store would be City Market at 13th and I. I just did yahoo maps and it's about 1.7 miles by car.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Ok thanks Susan how about any liquor stores. we were thinking of picking up some bottled water and or sodas before getting on the ship....cheaper than the ship so we can spend money on the excursions....:D

Your best bet would be to take a taxi (or bus) to Fred Meyer 'Midtown". They are the largest grocery stores plus other 'one stop shopping' including liquor in Alaska. You are less than 5 minutes away from your Ship Creek hotel. :)

Ok thanks Susan how about any liquor stores. we were thinking of picking up some bottled water and or sodas before getting on the ship....cheaper than the ship so we can spend money on the excursions....:D

There is a liquor store right downtown - Downtown Wine & Spirits, 930 W. 5th Ave. It's less than a mile from your hotel but I do have to warn you in case you're walking and you haven't heard about the hill that you have to come up to get from Comfort Inn to 3rd Avenue. It's a big of a walk up. Just don't want you surprised when you get here.

It's actually part of our Brown Jug stores up here. They run specials all the time. Actually stopping there on my way home tonight as the wine cellar (well okay it's my front bedroom closet :D) is running low.

There is a liquor store right downtown - Downtown Wine & Spirits, 930 W. 5th Ave. It's less than a mile from your hotel but I do have to warn you in case you're walking and you haven't heard about the hill that you have to come up to get from Comfort Inn to 3rd Avenue. It's a big of a walk up. Just don't want you surprised when you get here.

It's actually part of our Brown Jug stores up here. They run specials all the time. Actually stopping there on my way home tonight as the wine cellar (well okay it's my front bedroom closet :D) is running low.

Susan thanks for the tips. We wanted to try to walk around places and not take too many taxis. We figure we can see some more of the city that way.

Yes I have read about the hill on here. I hear it is like a 4 story rise or something like that. Is it flat at the top/plateau of it, or is a normal hill with up and down on each side. If it is flat then i think we should be good with having to just go down the hill with the water and what nots. We have men with us who can do the heavy lifting....LOL;)

Once you get up the hill downtown Anchorage is just about flat. The streets are laid out on a squared grid. Very hard to get lost as the mountains are to the east (more or less) and the water is to the west (more or less). What is hard to find downtown is parking, so being on foot is not a bad idea.

GOOGLE map where you want to go and get a good look at it with Street View. Makes it easy.

Once you get up the hill downtown Anchorage is just about flat. The streets are laid out on a squared grid. Very hard to get lost as the mountains are to the east (more or less) and the water is to the west (more or less). What is hard to find downtown is parking, so being on foot is not a bad idea.

GOOGLE map where you want to go and get a good look at it with Street View. Makes it easy.

Sweet!!:D thanks for the info. i think we may do the Dowtown Wine & Spirits.

what about the Bus Stop Shop Grocery.....it says it is on 6th ave.....would that work for us or better off with Dowtown Wine?

Downtown Wine is very close to the Captain Cook Hotel. Easy to find. I don't know anything about the other place. GOOGLE is your friend as you can Street View that area of Anchorage and preview the whole deal.

Maybe this link will work: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=Anchorage+downtown+liquor+store&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&cid=14775107184243142339&li=lmd

That is the whole area you need. Ship Creek and all. Happy Travels!

New Sagaya - City Market is wonderful - you can stock up on a great sandwich and anything else you want. I know you want wine but they make their own bread as well - They also have anything a regular grocery store has and though it is not in city center it is worth the walk. They have a web site so just google them. If you go please stop at the deli for us and bring us back a sandwich with their homemade bread!!!

downtown wine and spirits looks to be a resonable distance from our hotel on ship creek and the snow goose where we are eating dinner. as long as downtown wine and spirits sells bottled water, sodas snacks that type of stuff i think we should be good.

can you verify if this establishment does in deed sell this type of stuff. our travel friends were hoping for a place that also sold some sundries and maybe some toiletries in case something happened and we needed that type of stuff.

We stayed at the hotel next to the New Sagaya market. It had everything you could want. It was about a half hour walk from your hotel, but we enjoyed every minute of the walk (except the hill!). And, 4th avenue has some awesome souvenir shops you can peruse on your walk.

downtown wine and spirits looks to be a resonable distance from our hotel on ship creek and the snow goose where we are eating dinner. as long as downtown wine and spirits sells bottled water, sodas snacks that type of stuff i think we should be good.

can you verify if this establishment does in deed sell this type of stuff. our travel friends were hoping for a place that also sold some sundries and maybe some toiletries in case something happened and we needed that type of stuff.

Don't think the little grocery store in the bus station would have much. Maybe the water and soda and some snacks but I doubt toiletries.

With all the Brown Jugs I've been in I haven't seen bottled water, soda, or snacks. You just may want to call the Downtown Wine and Spirit store once you get here.

Otherwise there definitely isn't a store in downtown that sells all of this in one place. You may find that some of the larger hotels (i.e., Hilton which is up the hill from you) would have some toiletries and snacks. Water and soda is only usually sold by a bottle but those prices are usually :eek:

hmm thanks for the update Susan. well if we cant find anything we will have to get something in other ports or just do the water bottles on the ship.

did you pick up some good stuff on your way home?;)

I surely did. The wine cellar (closet) has been replenished :D

good to hear your closet is not empty..LOL:D

we are really excited about our trip and can not wait until we come to your wonderful city/state! the pics i have seen just look serene and beautiful. even the street views on google look great! :)

good to hear your closet is not empty..LOL:D

we are really excited about our trip and can not wait until we come to your wonderful city/state! the pics i have seen just look serene and beautiful. even the street views on google look great! :)

Be forewarned Alaska is addicting :D

You can drink Anchorage water. Just pack along empty bottles to refill. Price.....zero!

You'll be green as well.

I don't think too many Alaskans go into a liquor store and buy water. We have a higher desire than H2O but Downtown does have mixers and cocktail peanuts.

you guys are great! true bringing a bottle would be green but about 99% of the time my DH will lose it! :eek:

i just recently saw the movie the proposal, in the movie they were supposed to be in sitka..........i was bummed when i found they filmed in Cape Ann and not really in Alaska......boo. although the scenery was beautiful in the movie.....was let down that it wasnt authentic.

i wouldnt mind the serenity of alaska.......my dh would probably go insane, or i would have to strangle him as he would be bugging me 24/7 with im bored.........LOL. :p we live in San Diego and he still bugs sometimes with i am bored during our winter months......alaska would probably kill him with your winter months......LOL

Archived