My friend and his partner might join my family on a cruise

sillysoup

Hello,

I am not gay but my friend and his partner are and they are thinking of joing my family on a cruise to Alaska. It is the Norweigan Pearl and I am not sure if it is mostly straight couples and families. My question is, Is this cruise suitable for anyone? They are the most special friends that I have and I would never want to put them in an uncomfortable situation. Sorry if this sounds dumb we all want to have the best vacation together.

Thank you.

Have cruised several times on NCL, including Alaska, and hoping to do Pearl to Alaska in August. My partner and I have thoroughly enjoyed the NCL environment. It's friendly and most people who 'might not like' us don't even notice us. We bond with a gay couple or two but usually just then speak with them on deck (rather than hanging out all the time). More often than not we spend our leisure time in the cigar lounge with a friendly straight guy who uses Havana Club to get away from his family!

Encourage your friends to go with you -- you'll all enjoy.

LOL Cruises are for everyone, no matter what your life style might be.

Sounds as if you might have a slight problem with this couple joining your family. Not to worry, they won't be alone on the ship, more than likely they will find "others" and make the most of it. Just do a search on this thread with your ships name and sailing date, you might be surprised!

I was on the Crown Princess out of Ft Lauderdale a month or so ago sailing to Portugal. To the ships surprise and mine, there were over 50 gays on-board. It was a very subdued cruise. Just the shear number threw everyone off. What a pleasant surprise. There was only one person on the board that would admit they were going on this cruise.

I hope you enjoy Alaska.

Hello,

I am not gay but my friend and his partner are and they are thinking of joing my family on a cruise to Alaska. It is the Norweigan Pearl and I am not sure if it is mostly straight couples and families. My question is, Is this cruise suitable for anyone? They are the most special friends that I have and I would never want to put them in an uncomfortable situation. Sorry if this sounds dumb we all want to have the best vacation together.

Thank you.

It is very thoughtful of you to consider this. I think pretty much any cruise is going to be ok for same-sex couples, especially when traveling with friends. We navigate a world that is "mostly straight couples and families" on a daily basis so it's not a big deal to have the same experience on a ship. The only cruises where I think it would be a concern would be "Spring Break at sea" like some of the shorter Carnival cruises out of Florida but that's very far from what you're talking about.

Hello,

...They are the most special friends that I have and I would never want to put them in an uncomfortable situation. Sorry if this sounds dumb we all want to have the best vacation together.

How considerate of you.

Not to worry. Although there can be no guarantees when talking about a couple thousand folks on a ship (plus crew) - you should feel confident that your friends should not encounter any problems because they're gay. We've been on twenty cruises and never encountered a problem. (...Well, there was that time in 1991 that the Mama of a large family from Mexico at the next table kept giving me the fish eye, but just that once)

...and as another poster said, since we're used to that sort of thing in the real world, in the rare occasion that they might encounter a prejudiced reaction, your friends should be able to deal with it, just as at any other time.

Mark

Archived