Update - Europe cruise w/ baby

Hello!

I posted several months ago, asking for advice on cruising Europe with a 14-month old. I got some good advice and several naysayers, but I am thrilled to report that the trip was an absolute success! My daughter did amazingly well the entire time. She barely made a peep on either flight, and she was so excited to see all the new places and things in Europe. She learned how to nap in the stroller and on buses, so she could catch up on her sleep whenever she got tired. She even made it through the 2-hour formal dinners on the ship 7 out of 8 nights! We got nothing but compliments on her, and so many people on the ship and throughout the places we visited stopped to talk to and laugh with her. The other children traveling with us (ages 12, 9, and 5) also did very well. We couldn't have asked for a better experience! And to think we would have missed out on a chance of a lifetime if we'd let the criticism get to us.

The suggestions to use a private tour company on the long days was very useful. We used Driver in Rome for a Florence/Tuscany/Pisa excursion and Tylene Tourism for a Provence/Marseilles excursion. The private buses had a car seat available for the baby, and we were much more comfortable not having to share the experience with 50 other people. We rented our own car one day on Palma De Mallorca as well, which worked out but was a tiny but stressful for the driver. But the experience was one we'll never forget!

For those of you considering travel with young children, I would remind you that YOU know your child better than anyone else. I knew that I had an easy baby. She's always been pleasant and adaptable to different situations. I know there are babies out there who are moe difficult, and maybe it is better for those to stay home or wait until they get older. But if you think you can do it, then I say go for it! Just do your best to be respectful of others' experience and keep the baby happy and quiet as best you can. Traveleing with a baby is definitely not impossible.

Thanks, all! Happy cruising! :)

Paul,

I think we're going to rest for a while!!! Our trip was fantastic, but not exactly relaxing. We had to see everything we could in the short time we were at each port. And Rome really ran us ragged! But the sights were truly amazing.

I wish we could be in Hawaii for a while to recuperate!

-Julie

Archived