Which cruise?

FSUSammy

By next fall, NCL may have 3-ships doing the Hawaiian Islands, the Pride of Aloha (inter-islands), the Wind (Hawaii and Fanning Island), and the soon to be commissioned Pride of America. Be cautioned as the "P of America" sank while being built....

The NCL ships start and finish in Honolulu, making air-travel plans simple. Many of the other lines offer sailings from San Diego or Mexico, and with 10-14 day iteneraries. Air-travel plans are awkward as you start in one place and finish in another, requiring two-one way tickets.

We did the NCL Star in February (since moved to an Alaska schedule), and had a blast - the Islands are magnificant. Since you will be on your 1st anniversary, I would think that the 10-day deal from San Diego would be best as you get your first 4-days at sea (to wind-down...or ;) as the case may be...), then you'll get a couple of beautiful islands to visit...

The Pride of Aloha has had its staffing problems (with the all-american crew), but some late reviews have been getting better... :)

Good luck...and enjoy... :D

By next fall, NCL may have 3-ships doing the Hawaiian Islands, the Pride of Aloha (inter-islands), the Wind (Hawaii and Fanning Island), and the soon to be commissioned Pride of America. Be cautioned as the "P of America" sank while being built....

Per NCL, the PoAmerica didn't sink ... it was just "resting on the bottom". :)

Spleen

"Many of the other lines offer sailings from San Diego or Mexico, and with 10-14 day iteneraries. Air-travel plans are awkward as you start in one place and finish in another, requiring two-one way tickets."

The quoted statement above is not quite accurate. I'm not sure whether the poster was simply "plugging" NCL or what, but the contained information is incorrect.

We have sailed to/from Hawaii three times: once from Hawaii to Vancouver, once from there to Ensenada, and once from Ensenada to Honolulu. We bought no one-way tickets. We purchased what are called "open jaw" tickets (usually the same price as a standard round trip fare) for all three cruises. Our cruise agent made the arrangements twice, since we used the cruise line's air. The other time, we made our own arrangements. No problems at all.

No matter what way you cruise Hawaii, you'll enjoy it. Just don't fail to look at the one-way cruises because you're afraid of the air arrangements. They're not at all complicated.

We did Pride of Aloha in October, and had a fantastic trip. The port schedule, IMHO, can't be beat (unless you're desiring sea days as well, which many people do).

The staffing problems on that ship have been corrected, and the integration and training plan for Pride of America is a lot better that Pride of Aloha experienced (long story, but Pride of Aloha was pushed into service in a rush after Pride of America was "resting on the bottom" lol). I still would not recommend taking the Pride of America until it's been at sea for at least 3-4 months, so that they can shake out the bugs.

We had a pretty active trip, which included a pre-cruise. We got a lot of fantastic advise on what to do from these boards (so you're on the right track).

If your interested, here's a link to my review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=93997

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have!

Whatever line you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Several lines cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii in September.

Personally, I would fly into Honolulu, spend a couple of days, cruise 7 days (NCL and NCL America being your only choices), spend a couple more days on Oahu. Or Maui, or Kauai, or the Big Island.

I would really look at the itinerary. We just got off the Celebrity Infinity in November on a 11 day cruise from Ensenada to Oahu. We were at sea for four days and then one day in Hilo, one day in Kona, one day in Nawiliwili, two days in Maui and two days in Honolulu. Most tours only spend one day in Maui so it may not be enough time, depending on what you want to do.

I chose this itinerary because of the length of stay in each port. At the end of 2005, the Infinity is doing a similar cruise like the other lines with the roundtrip back to the mainland. To me that's too many days at sea and I stayed the few extra days in Oahu sightseeing instead.

Mostly because I'm jealous and would love to do a round trip cruise to Hawaii. There are a few repositioning cruises toward the end of September, leaving out of Vancouver. If I could have my way, I would wait until October and go on the round trip Infinity, out of San Diego. Or stay with my original choice of several days before and after, with a 7 day island cruise. Either way, I wish we could get back to Hawaii, it's been 3 long years since our last trip there.

Archived