Suggestions for the Valor (Especially for Honeymoon)

misskat

Hi all! *Waves*

I'm returning to the world o' cruises after 11 years to go on the 8/23/2009 sailing of the Carnival Valor. I've been to Cozumel (shopped and snorkled) and Cayman (Hell, Turtle Farm, Rum Cake Factory, Seven Mile Beach tour) before; however, I haven't a clue about what to do in Roatan and Belize. Any suggestions for excursions? This is my third cruise, his very first one.

Also, any suggestions on how to make a honeymoon super special? We sprung for a balcony. :)

This may not be much help, but here are my opinions. In Roatan, it's worth the money to go to the beach (The West End). It's a bit of a ride but it's absolutely gorgeous. In Belize, I would suggest just staying on the ship : x. Hopefully someone else has something better, but I was extremely disappointed in Belize. The first time I went, I went on a cave tubing tour, which I thought was a ripoff. The second visit, I just stayed on the ship. I would enjoy the ship to yourself for a day! Hope that's not discouraging... good luck!

The balcony is a great start to your honeymoon. You will enjoy it! Since it's your husband's first cruise I would look into having your cabin decorated. Look on carnival . com and under gifts the cabin decorations should be there.

Also, I've been to both Belize and Roatan. I would suggest booking ship shore excursions in both of these places. Both are 3rd world countries and where the ship docks is not the best area. You guys will have a blast!

Check out the Port of call boards for a lot of info.

We love Roatan and I want to stress how important it is to get out and see the island; do not stay at the pier area. We always hire a driver thru boddentours.com and couldn't be more pleased. The first time there we had our driver to take us all around the island and then we spent a good deal of time at the Mayan Princess resort (google it for photos). It is $10pp admission but is a beautfiul place and would suit a "honeymoon" perfectly, lol The second and last time we went we requested the same driver, Janeth, and just had her to take us back to Mayan Princess. She waits in the shade all day long and takes us back to the ship when we are ready.

We decided on a ship day while in Belize. We took our kids and i knew that after 2 busy port days that they would need a break, and it turns out we all did. But next time we may try cave tubing or going over to Bannister Island for a beach day.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!!! We liked the Valor so much that we are going again in October. Great itinerary as well!!

I would highly recommend taking the Mayan ruins and Rain forest excursion (if its offered). If you've never been in a tropical rain forest it is increditable to see. You'll see wild monkeys, birds and other jungle animals (not lions, tigers, or bears, oh my). I'm not the type of person that is interested in foliage, but it is unbelievable.

You take a 30 minute bus ride to a location to get on a boat that takes you down a small river. After about a 30 minute boat ride thats also very interesting, you arrive at the rain forest. It's a 60-90 minute roundtrip walk to/back the Mayan pyramids/ruins.

The Belize nation is a very pro-American nation and very proud of their homeland. You would really be cheating yourself if you did not get out and meet and talk with them.

Archived