Transportation

Nancy53

My friend is going to Cancun in November for a long weekend by plane for a wedding.

I know this is not a cruise but I need some help. She is flying into Cancun and wants some information about transportation from the airport to the hotel. She has not decided where to stay yet but plans on around a 20 miles away from the airport. Can anyone advise me on a reliable transportation (not renting a car) to get from the airport to the hotel.

Is there a public bus transportation that is safe and reliable. There will be 6 people including 3 children. The best she could find was $50 per person and that is too expensive. Looking for something safe and reliable or is there a public bus that goes up and down the coast that stops at varous hotels. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:p

$50 per person :eek: She's looking at the wrong thing.

Cancun is two sections. The Hotel Zone and Downtown. Most visitors to Cancun stay in the Hotel Zone. a stretch of land shaped like a 7 with the short part fronting the gulf and the long part fronting the Caribbean sea.

Airport transportation is controlled by the government at the Cancun Airport. There is a public bus, the ADO which can be taken, but it you take that option you'll be dropped at the downtown bus terminal and then have to take the public bus or a taxi to the hotel. (public bus + luggage is a bad combination IMHO).

Thomas More Travel (spelled correctly), Cancun Valet and Entertainment Plus all provide reliable airport to hotel transportation. All three offer private van options at similar prices. Another option is the "collectivo" or shared van rides booked on site at the airport. It's about $10 pp (might be up to $12 now it's been a while since I've done this option). The ticket booth isn't difficult to find.

You may also want to check out the trip advisor Cancun forum, it's fairly active.

It is unclear where you are going to be staying. It would help narrow down the choices if you could at least specify where the wedding is going to be, whether you're looking to stay at the same place or nearby, and if you're not staying at that the same place whether you're going to rely on rental cars, taxis, or local public transportation to get around.

The regularly scheduled bus from the airport go into downtown Cancún and downtown Playa del Carmen. Generally this is the least expensive option, but unless you're staying downtown in one of these two places you'll have to change to another vehicle (bus or taxi) to get where you're going.

On the other hand there are unscheduled shared-ride services from the airport to various hotels. They'll take you directly to the hotel but, as in the United States, the fares are substantially more than the regularly scheduled buses.

If the six people (including 3 kids) who are traveling are well-versed in using public transportation you might want to consider using the regularly scheduled bus service. Otherwise you're probably going to be resigned to using the higher-priced shared-ride shuttle service.

Archived