Debating going out of Boston or New York-opinions

Gingee

We are debating about whether to go out of New York (which we have done a couple times) or try a new area (Boston). Is there much to do fairly close to the terminal like there is in NYC?

you could consider both Phily and Baltimore too. Boston is a great city and is much smaller than NYC with lots to do within easy cab or transfer distance. There is little immediately by the pier but lots close by....sort of like Red Hook Brooklyn. The same is true for Phily. I have not personally done Baltimore(which I am told is reasonably close to downtown and Fort McHenry) but have been to all three NY-NJ piers and Boston as well.

Try Boston of course! Check the New England board. Here's a recent thread discussing Boston. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=965965

Boston is a small city - easy to walk around or get around on the "T". The airport is right there - probably about a $25 fare to your hotel plus there is a subway option. The cruiseport is also right there. However, just like NY, Boston has expensive hotel rooms - you have to look around for a deal. Personally, I don't think it matters exactly where you stay - any 3.5*+ hotel in Quincy Market, Downtown, Back Bay or Waterfront will be OK - each has its advantages and disadvantages. Recently, we have been suggesting that folks look on Priceline or Hotwire and commit to a nonrefundable hotel because the price difference is enormous.

Since you have done NYC a couple of times, you should come to Boston for sure. Stay in one of the great local hotels near the attractions and live it up.

I love Manhattan, but Boston has it's charms.

Archived