Cruising with DD Teens

CurtS

We have two teens (13 and 14) that have autism. We are trying to find a cruise line that has a good tween program that they can go to and enjoy themselves. One is very social and outgoing the other not so much so. While they will probably spend most of their time with us, I'm sure that they would like to do some things on their own as they enjoy their independence from us when they have a chance. Any suggestions?

Choice of line may depend on if your teens do better with older kids or younger. On Princess, they will be in the 13-17 year old group. Carnival and RCCL will put them in a 12-14 year old group.

My daughter at 12 was board stiff with Carnival so at 13, we went with Princess and she loved it. But with considerations of your teen's needs maybe the younger group would be best.

Changing the topic slightly, it's easy to use these boards to find teen "pen pals" ahead of time. My girls loved this, as it made them feel like they had friends waiting for them onboard.

Of course, you have to remember internet safety. It's a good idea to look through the first couple emails yourself to make sure the person "sounds 13" and talk to your child about what's okay and what's not okay to share about yourself.

Archived