Can we take alcohol on the ship??

suebubbles

Yes you can - but unless it's wine you want to drink (which, for drinking in your cabin as opposed to with dinner, can be a bit overpriced on board) you can buy bottles of spirits cheaply from your cabin steward. You are more likely to need to bring the mixers (coke, tonic, whatever) :D

If you visit St. Lucia, make sure you visit the Rum Shack in the cruise terminal mall (turn to your left). We brought different flavoured rums (spiced, coconut, lime, loads of others available) back on board, then ordered the mixers (coke and lemonade) through the in-cabin order form, kept them in the fridge and had a lovely drink while dressing for dinner each evening. ;)

Carol x

I brought a few bottles of wine back on board when we called at Vigo on Ventura, and there was no problem at all. They were in an obvious plastic bag from the wine shop (right beside the quay!) and the bottles were clinking, so there was no question what they were, but there was no issue about them when we went back aboard. I think I had to put them through the scanner, but I'm not even sure about that.

I brought a few bottles of wine back on board when we called at Vigo on Ventura, and there was no problem at all. They were in an obvious plastic bag from the wine shop (right beside the quay!) and the bottles were clinking, so there was no question what they were, but there was no issue about them when we went back aboard. I think I had to put them through the scanner, but I'm not even sure about that.

On Royal Caribbean it's different. Even if you've managed to hide the bottles, the security find them, then take them off you for the rest of the cruise, giving them back to you the night before you disembark. Which is a pain in the butt, because then you need to ensure you get all your purchases back..

P&O were completely the opposite. That said, I think it would be a wise investment to take onboard some of the mixers, because price per litre, the mixers were more expensive than the alcohol.

One gentleman told me that one day he asked for a lemonade splash in his beer (and apparently it was less than an inch of lemonade), and the bill came back with 50p for the lemonade!! Would like to think that this might have been an over-zealous bar-steward (keep thinking of Stephen Fry in a Schweppes advert from the 80s when I saw that :)) and not the norm..

Scrozuk

On Royal Caribbean it's different. Even if you've managed to hide the bottles, the security find them, then take them off you for the rest of the cruise, giving them back to you the night before you disembark.

It's the same on Celebrity as well (not surprising, as they're owned by Royal Caribbean). There's something about being able to take a couple of bottles of wine per cabin on-board at the initial embarkation port, but that's it.

I was pleased with P&O's attitude.

No problem at all, when i was on the ventura we went into the shops and wanted to buy some drink, as we were going to the beach we thought we'd get it on the way back, when we got back it was almost bare, the ventura was the only ship in port so it must have all been on her!! What we did get went through the scanners and they didn't batter an eye lid!

Like others have said mixers are expensive onboard so stock up on them too!

Dean

• 2 weeks later...

just thinking about this question in more detail......we can just about say that bottles can be taken on at port during the cruise, but what about taking the bottles in your case when you embark for the very first time at southampton?!

is that cheeky of me :p but think about it, its the same concept but we are just bringing it on earlier in the cruise! ;) would be interested to hear, thanks

just thinking about this question in more detail......we can just about say that bottles can be taken on at port during the cruise, but what about taking the bottles in your case when you embark for the very first time at southampton?!

is that cheeky of me :p but think about it, its the same concept but we are just bringing it on earlier in the cruise! ;) would be interested to hear, thanks

I always take a 3l winebox with tap,its unbreakable, compact and fits snuggly in my 'odds and sods' case, it fits in the cabin fridge, and there are always 2 wine glasses in the cabin. say no more! On a shorter cruise I took a 1l cardboard wine carton, like a orange juice carton I saw in Morrisons . Just for a glass each before dinner on the balcony.

I always take a 3l winebox with tap,its unbreakable, compact and fits snuggly in my 'odds and sods' case, it fits in the cabin fridge, and there are always 2 wine glasses in the cabin. say no more! On a shorter cruise I took a 1l cardboard wine carton, like a orange juice carton I saw in Morrisons . Just for a glass each before dinner on the balcony.

Hi

Off on Arcadia next week for 7 nights Fjords cruise (seen you have been on her a few times). We are travelling with both sets of parents celebrating brithdays and wedd ann's. Have you taken the wine on board at Soton in carryon or hold luggage? Have been to Tesco's and got 1lt's of vino, parents done same, but not sure where to pack them. Also father inlaw and hubby great whisky drinkers, so was going to take a bottle of their fav. Any advice greatly received.

Yes carry-on. If bottles, perhaps in a wine carrier bag you can buy from the supermarket. As I said in previous post I always take a winebox as its near enough unbreakable. One cruise, I think it was a longish 16nighter to Venice last year, i put in some tinnies for hubbie for balcony drinking as a last minute 'good idea' :cool:ummm, no it wasn't... put them in my 'odds and sods' case (luckly not with clothes NEVER EVER put wine or any liquids in with clothes) anyway one can of beer was pierced somehow, and when they delivered my case, it stunk like a brewery oops... never do that again!

Archived