Excursions and Young Children

nesmith033

All,

We will be on our first Carnival cruise (have only sailed on Disney in the past) this Sunday. We will be on the Legend. Our children are 18, 16, 9, 7, and 3 years old.

I was going to book a couple of excursions through the Carnival site. Just wondering: if some of my children are too young to participate in some excursions, can we still book the excursion, and bring them with us? That way, my wife and I can take turns watching them while the other person enjoys the activities.

Or, should I just stick with the excursions that are available to those of all ages?

I would really appreciate feedback from those who have "been there, done that."

We have "been there, done that", and have found a lot of success with booking independent excursion (not through the cruise line). The independent tour guides will often be more flexible with age ranges and accommodations, and allow the tour to be altered to suit the needs of your family.

Check out the port-of-call forums for info on each destination you are traveling to.

RE: the ability to take your too young child on an excursion. I don't believe that will be allowed. You might want to try calling Carnival to ask what the policy is.

CeleBrat

I have taken my Grandson, when he was 5 months we did an independent parasailing from the Royal Palms beach in Grand Cayman and they did allow us to take him. This year he was two and in Cozumel we went to Nachi Cochum Beach and did the all inclusive free drinks and food all day with nice clean restrooms. In Belize I stayed on the ship and had the kids pool to ourselves while my daughter and her husband did the deep sea fishing so I am no help there. I have not been to Roatan, but if it is a private island I'm sure you will love it. I do know there is a Beach Break in Belize that has a kids playground and there is also a zoo, I just decided to stay on that day because it is a tender port. I know this isn't exactly the info you are looking for, but maybe it will help.

I would strongly suggest booking with Victor Bodden in Roatan. His group is awesome with kids. They will also act as your personal tour guide for the day and take you wherever you want to go. At Victor's house they have all sorts of animals they will let you see and play with. All the children in the group we went with loved the monkeys he has.... just my two cents. Also, when we were in Belize we did the private island beach break and it worked really well with the kids. The area they have at the beach is shallow enough for the little ones to play in. It worked great.

Hi, we've taken very young children on excursions also- we almost always book independantly & it's always worked out wonderful.

We did Grand Cayman when my children were 3.5 years old & 6 months old. We went with Cap't Marvin to stingray city. It was marvelous! We got out there before the big cruise ship sponsered crowds came- we could take both children (even the baby) in the water and hold them (it's up to about your waist on the sand bar)- and the kids got to pet/tough the stingrays while in the water. We loved it! And very kid friendly. Very!

Have been to Belize this past year when my children were 6 & 3- and we did take the ships sponsered tour to the ruins due to safety precautions. It was not a great tour for young children but at the same time I would not really venture off in Belize without a ship tour- that's just my person opinoin with small children. It was the only port we've been too (and we've been to Jamaica and other so-called 'iffy' ports) that I felt uneasy. We had an armed guard on our tour.

Any beach in Cozumel would be great - Just grab a cab. We did Chankanaab & they have a secluded lagoon for kids to play in- no waves. You can also take children as young as like 2 to do the dolphin encounter there.

Good luck & have a great trip!

Hello fellow cruiser,

We have participated in these excursions

Grand Cayman:

Stringray-wonderful experience, may be a little overwhelming at first for younger folks. You will have to hold the 3 year old, the water will be around waist high on an average person.

Seven Mile Beach Break-great and the whole family can play

Cozemel:

Dolphin encounter-wonderful but expensive

Atlantis-great underwater viewing, everyone can enjoy this

Caverns by Jeep-great but some climbing

I have not visited the other sites

enjoy your cruise!!

Archived